Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about the past 6 months my 2012 has been making a weird 'thumping' noise upon startup. It was coming from behind the glovebox. I finally decided to investigate and removed the blower and found the culprit. Above the blower and into the air duct, there is a sort of valve that rotates about 90 degrees or so, I'm assuming to redirect the air from the blower. That valve, and the actuator (or whatever its called) that controls the valve rotates until fully open, but keeps trying to open for a good 30 seconds causing the thumping sound.

This is where I'm having trouble. I have no idea what these parts are called or how to fix it. I looked on Mopar for an hour or two trying to find the parts, but can't seem to do so. I've tried physically closing the valve a few times while the actuator is trying to open it, and I make it click (like I'm forcing the gears to skip teeth) a few times, but the problem persists. I'd rather not take the car into the shop for this, because its a very obscure place to get to behind the glovebox, and I know a $30 fix will get another $100 or so tacked on. Any help at all would be appreciated.

The valve is in the circled part on the picture I attached from mopar.

-Chex

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the same issue. The dealership said it was the blend door not operating correctly. In order to replace it, the entire dash board has to be removed. $800 in labor to replace a $20 part. I'll be doing mine when the weather cools down a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
If you have dual-zone HVAC there is a blend door actuator on the driver side and passenger side. You only need to remove the glove box from the instrument panel to replace the passenger side blend door actuator ... not the entire dash board.
I had to have the driver side blend door actuator replaced (under warranty) and the parts cost was $40.75 and the labor was $160.00 for a total of $200.75
If you're doing the passenger side yourself - the service procedure is as follows:
1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. Wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge.
2. Remove the glove box from the instrument panel
3. Remove the three screws that secure the blend door actuator to the passenger side of the HVAC air distribution housing.
4. Remove the blend door actuator from the air distribution housing and disconnect the HVAC wire harness connector from the actuator.
5. Remove the blend door actuator from the vehicle.

Installation is the reverse of the above and reconnect the negative battery cable.

$800 labor is either gouging or they don't read the Dodge Workshop Manual to learn the standard service procedures.

·
Registered
67 Posts
djalbin, you saved me a lot of grief, so thanks. The dealership looked me right in the eye and told me $800 and told me the exact part, the actuator, that needed to be replaced and went on to describe the replacement process of removing the dashboard. I replaced the actuator myself, 2 tools and about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts