Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, everyone.

I have an '06 R/T with 172k miles. It had 150k when I purchased it.
The car makes a humming noise during acceleration. It is not terribly loud, but it is definitely noticeable. However, it doesn't seem to affect the car in anyway. I have never had a problem out of the car.
The previous owner (had the car from 60k-150k) started hearing the noise, and had it taken to multiple shops, none of which could figure out the source.
It doesn't happen all the time, or any other time then acceleration.
I would like to figure out what the noise is, even though it doesn't seem to be affecting the performance of the car at this moment in time.
Have any of you experienced this issue or have some thoughts on what it could be?
Thank you very much!

Josh

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey neighbor! Brentwood TN here...
I would start with new fluids all around. Might be old fluid not doing it's job.
Might also check the rear axle shaft CV joints, could be under the torque of the engine, the u-joints are binding, causing some noise.
Some things to look at...

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Good morning, everyone.

I have an '06 R/T with 172k miles. It had 150k when I purchased it.
The car makes a humming noise during acceleration. It is not terribly loud, but it is definitely noticeable. However, it doesn't seem to affect the car in anyway. I have never had a problem out of the car.
The previous owner (had the car from 60k-150k) started hearing the noise, and had it taken to multiple shops, none of which could figure out the source.
It doesn't happen all the time, or any other time then acceleration.
I would like to figure out what the noise is, even though it doesn't seem to be affecting the performance of the car at this moment in time.
Have any of you experienced this issue or have some thoughts on what it could be?
Thank you very much!

Josh
Do you mean a deep moaning sound while accelerating that goes away if you back off the pedal?

Reactions: isaacmaple08

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ddaddy, somewhat. The noise is causing a vibration that you can feel if you hold the stickshift. It also seems to be coming from the back end of the car. I will definitely check out the joints and change the fluid...when I can. Lost my job this past friday, so things have been put on hold lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have any update on this? My 2006 Charger R/T sounds like it's doing the same thing and I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out where the noise may be coming from. A deep moan could also be used to describe the noise. Like RoscoeJosh said, it's a distinct noise that can be felt through the shifter when it's occurring.

For those that are curious my observations for when this occurs to this point are:
- The engine/transmission/etc must be at operating temperature
- Outside temperature needs to be above 40 degrees F (I've never heard it during the winter months unless we had an unusually warm day)
- The hum will kick in around 1300 RPM and above (but not always consistently and sometimes will kick in at higher RPMs)
- The engine must have load (i.e. it's in gear; I've not tried to replicate in reverse or doing a brake stand)
- The tone of the hum doesn't change much, seems to be more related to how far open the throttle is than engine or vehicle speed
- The hum seems to get louder when I have more passengers (although none of them claim to be able to hear it!)
- The hum seems to be slightly louder on the driver side than the passenger, but I can't tell if it's coming from front, middle, or rear

I've changed transmission and dif fluid recently without any change to these conditions.
It may be worth noting I have two other noises that may be related:
1. When initially stepping on the gas or letting off after accelerating I hear a thunk coming from the rear of the car
2. At around 50-60mph when I let off the gas to coast, I hear a whine coming from the rear passenger side

I intend on having the latter two items addressed soon and will let you know if that resolves the humming.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
My suspicion is that what you are hearing is coming from the driveshaft center support bearing. Have it inspected and replace if necessary.

The are known to go bad as these vehicles become older and they can also become caked in grime (unless you get frequent undercarriage washes done) and begin to make noise as a result.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally had the center support bearing looked at and it needed replacement. Unfortunately, so did the rest of the drive shaft as the u-joint was shot.

The drive shaft got replaced and now the noise is gone. Just thought I should confirm and say thanks again for helping get this resolved!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My suspicion is that what you are hearing is coming from the driveshaft center support bearing. Have it inspected and replace if necessary.

The are known to go bad as these vehicles become older and they can also become caked in grime (unless you get frequent undercarriage washes done) and begin to make noise as a result.
I have the same problem. Iwas told it was my output shaft. Connecting to my drive shaft. Having my transmission fluild drained and changed gasket and filter too . Rear diff fluild change no help. Front bushings replaced too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Transmission drain and change did not fix humming and howl noise. When giving it gas or letting off the pedal. Noise goes away when gas is at steady speed or above 60. Tramission fluild dirty but no signs of shavings.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My 06 Daytona does this as well.
As previously stated, I suspect the center carrier bearing of the driveshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Transmission drain and change did not fix humming and howl noise. When giving it gas or letting off the pedal. Noise goes away when gas is at steady speed or above 60. Tramission fluild dirty but no signs of shavings.
Hi Red rocks79, We sincerely regret to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your Charger. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance if you end up connecting with your dealer for this concern.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,105 Posts
Hi Red rocks79, We sincerely regret to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your Charger. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance if you end up connecting with your dealer for this concern.
Rob
DodgeCares
Wish you guys cared about all those bad lifters ya'll installed over the years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2ooo miles from an oil change at dodge dealer. Past impection and emissions 3000 miles ago at a dodge dealer. Since than. Changed rear differental fluid. Tramission fluid drained. Changed. Filter and gasket too. Firestone. Put in writing my bushing were bad front bushinbg replaced left ..right control arms too.. different shop replaced bushings mechanic said they were soft not torn. A common issue on police charges. Charger .runs fine. But has howl or wine between 40 and 60 when giving it gas or letting off the pedal. Goes away at 60 mph or higher. There is also a cliiunk between 0 and 20 or 20 down to 0.sounds like a diesel. Noises. Have not got louder in 3000 miles. Nor. Can they be heard with heater on .or listening to music at a normal level

·
Registered
7 Posts
Updated. Clunk noise. Went away after removing bra cover or front end cover. 3 car washes in 5 days after 8 inches of snow in st.louis 3 snow sorms of 4 inches or moore already. Undercarriagge blast or power wash at car wash did not solve hum or howl noise but will try again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts