Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - Brand New to this forum as I recently purchased a 2016 Charger Scat Pack.

My wife and I waited for 5 weeks for our car to be built.
We were so excited when we went and picked it up that first night.
We had it about a week, and just hit 100 miles when I noticed a hard downshift. We kept an eye on it, and realized that it always happens when it shifted from 6th down to 5th. We took it in with just over 200 miles.

We were told after two days of the techs trying to "relearn" the transmission, that it must be a (and I'm sure I'm getting this wrong) "Throttle Control Module" inside the transmission that had to be bad - but unfortunately, they were on back order and didn't know when they would get one. After three days (7 days now without my car), I finally gave in and called the server center and was told that they found "the part" and were currently installing it... Next day (8th day) I had to call them again, and they told me that it was the transmission. And again, didn't have an ETA on when they would get one.

So now my Brand New Charger Scat Pack, is having to have a new transmission. Now please keep in mind that my wife and I are in our 40's and hadn't even gotten the car above 60 mph, let alone "hot Rod" the car at all.

THree days later, A transmission is delivered, and installed.. 11 days after I dropped it off (more days in the shop than it had been in my driveway).
My wife and I got that same excitement again as we seen our car. They pulled it out... and then I seen it... A freaking DENT in the rear quarter panel. The sheet metal crinkled and the clear coat chipped...

Of course, appologies start flying and promises of "getting it fixed"...
That was yesterday... he calls today and says they got it all fixed.

I arrive to spot the Blimish right away - still a slight dent, and still a spot on the clear coat...

Yes, it's small, and unless I pointed it to you.. you may not ever see it...
But damn it, It's a Brand New Car.... There have been 55 miles put on the car since it has been in the shop...

Am I over reacting to expect perfection on a car that I haven't even been able to experience yet, and it's already had a new transmission an now body damage...

What would you do??

Thanks
chili

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I would totally go for another one. Don't know about you. All these problems are telling you that bigger ones may happen down the road. Something went wrong during the assembly of this car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2011 Challenger - don't make the mistake I made... The dealer put a dent in the RF fender when I brought the (week old) car back to have the DOA nav system fixed. I let them talk me into using their paintless dent removal guy - who did a crap job - he made it worse. I ended up spending $250 of my own money to have a good paintless dent guy do the best he could with it - but for the entire time I owned the car, it bugged the $hit out of me because I could always see where the dent was.

If it is not perfect - don't accept it - and don't be guilted into anything less that something you are 100% happy with - otherwise, it will bug you forever.

I really hope it works out for you - I remember that feeling very well.

(For those of you in the NYC area - it was Eastchester Dodge in the Bronx - what a $hit outfit...)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Contact DodgeCares on here as well. It's a brand new car that the dealership damaged and didn't fix properly... They should step up and either get you a new one or fix it correctly and look at diminished value.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If I were you I'd either try to get another new car or consult a reputable body shop with your paint issue. I personally would've been done with the car if the trans went bad as soon as I got the car but at least the worst of the two issues got fixed properly.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
We picked up my wifes 300S after ordering it and when we got home I noticed that there was a small dent on the passenger door that could only be seen if you were at the right angle to the car looking hard for it. Service manager said he could barely see it after I pointed it out to him. He took pictures and said he would get back to us but I contacted Dodge HQ customer care. Within the week the car was back in the shop getting repaired.

It is a new car that should be dent free and spotless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input - I have been in touch with Dodge Customer Care and the GM of the Dealership. The GM is supposed to be getting back with me today - but one of the biggest problems I've had about this whole ordeal is getting information.. no one has EVER called me... I've always had to be the one to call, wait on hold for 10 minutes, to be told that "he's in a meeting" or "I'll have to get with the shop foreman"... to be called 3 hours later, with... "I don't have an ETA for you"... it's been the biggest run-around.

Dodge Customer Care called yesterday and offered some free oil changes and tire rotations.. and I was like.. "at this rate it will never NEED an oil change or tire rotation"...

I just wanted some feedback - I know I can be a "d!ck" sometimes when it comes to customer service - I expect the same service I give everyday at my job - PERFECTION, no EXCEPTION.. maybe that has just gone away...

But I told the Shop supervisor yesterday.. if it's NOT PERFECT.. don't waste my time calling me up here... and I was just making sure I wasn't being to radical...

thanks again for the input.

chili

·
Registered
939 Posts
When there is a problem, dealers will give you a runaround hoping you will get tired of it and give up. If they can't fix it perfectly, tell them you either want the car replaced with another new one or you want your money back. Also, discuss it with a lawyer. They will evaluate your case free of charge usually. If they continue to give you the runaround, a letter from said lawyer to the GM of the dealer threatening action might get them to fix it for you. Another avenue is if you have a local news service who offers to help with problems can get action, because the dealer knows that the news station will run with the story, and the less the dealer helps the worse the news station will make them look locally. No business wants their name plastered all over the local news as not willing to make problems right. Also, check into your state's lemon laws. Sounds like if nothing else, you may be able to force a buyback.

I agree with everyone else here, this car is going to be a problem. About the only way the trans issue will be fixed is if a new transmission is installed. I had a 93 Cougar that would slip, then bang into gear, between 3rd and 4th gears. If I floored it when it started slipping it would flare until it hit the rev limiter, then slam into gear. The dealer gave me a huge runaround but in his case, he knew I was military and gave me a runaround knowing that eventually I'd be transferred out. Was young at the time and didn't know my options as well as I do now.

BTW, that Mercury dealer was in Rockville MD, and if they are still in business they would likely be a Lincoln, or a Ford and Lincoln dealer.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
First, the damage issue and the tranny repair issue are 2 different things.

The body damage should be repaired to the OPs complete satisfaction without excuse.

However, the tranny issue is completely different. This isn't 1993. In fact, it's 23 years later. In 1993, the very first PCs were coming out into mainstream use and cell phones were the size of a large brick.

The modern tranny is largely computer controlled and the mechanical parts aren't usually the issue on a new car, it's more often the software or computer modules. Sometimes they are bad and sometimes they fail. But it doesn't mean the car wasn't assembled properly or that it's a lemon with a nightmare future. Nor does it mean the entire tranny needs to be replaced.

C'mon guys, think about it and balance the perspective with the reality of the modern automotive mechanical/computer World.

40 years ago an alternator frying out of the factory on a new car wouldn't get the kind of gloom-and-doom-the-car-is-a-lemon response you are giving to a failed computer module. All parts can fail and it doesn't mean anything as far as the entire vehicle is concerned.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Obviously you have never lived with a new car with a catastrophic failure. I'm well aware of the differences between 1993 and today as well. Doesn't change the fact that a car with 50 miles or so shouldn't be doing this, and if one repair hasn't gotten it the first time then Dodge should authorize a new transmission. We aren't talking about one with thousands of miles on it, we're talking about a brand new car that failed right after purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, I in no way believe this car WILL be a nightmare going forward - When they finally pulled the pan from the transmission, there were metal shavings - so they knew the whole transmissions had to be replaced - what caused them, who knows, they sure don't, and I don't blame them for NOT knowing.
I'm just appalled at the complete lack of customer service - My car being in the shop for longer than I have had it in my driveway is pretty heartbreaking. Then to finally get the car, realizing that the shop put 50 miles on the car and then realizing that while it was in their possession they put a dent in it (that is having to be repainted - I have been told I'll be getting my car back today) is just mind boggling and was enough to send me over the edge. And if I EVER hear, "Mr. Odom, I understand your frustration" one more time from someone who can't possibly understand my frustration, they will need to remove my foot from their a$$.

But there is one saving grace.... the GM of this dealership - because of HIM and him alone, I truly feel my wife and I will eventually be happy again... not yet.. but I believe he will make it right, and I'm glad that I still feel that they ARE TRYING to do the right thing...

I just hate having to go days without hearing from someone to call, wait for 10 minutes to hear that they are in a meeting, then, only to get a call 3 hours later saying "Oh, Ya, they are installing it right now"... and then having to wait another day, before I call again to find out if it's ready to find out.. "Oh, it's the whole transmission, and we don't have an ETA on getting one"... Customer Service!!!
Then to hear the Shop Manager say.. "I'm going to fill it up with gas and detail it for you"... and you want to tell him, I filled it up before I brought it to you.. the only gas you are replaceing is the gas the shop ran out.. and detail?? they didn't notice the big DING in the car before you called me and told me it was ready.. or worse... did you KNOW about it, and HOPE I wouldn't see it??? CUSTOMER SERVICE....

WHERE has it gone??

chili

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I definitely would continue to pursue making sure your new expensive car is 100% spotless. Except nothing otherwise. YOU bought the car from THEM so THEY need to make sure it is a quality product. I would absolutely not hesitate to contact a lawyer if they continue to give you the runaround.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Either they bring it back to the new condition it was when you originally took delivery or they need to find you a new one to replace it. The trans issues are one thing, but the big ass dent? Hell no...

·
Registered
939 Posts
You can do as you wish, I hope it turns out better for you than it did for me way back when, when I went through the EXACT SAME SITUATION only without the dent. My advice came from my experiences, and what I would do if I had it all to do again. Good luck on it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sucks about the dent and transmission. I'd let them install the new transmission, I mean it'll be tough to fight for a new car.

As far as the dent if it isn't right, tell them to keep the car until they get it right. Usually a good body shop can push that dent out and the usually spray and blend it, but yeah at under 300 miles it's like what's the point ya know...

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Obviously you have never lived with a new car with a catastrophic failure. I'm well aware of the differences between 1993 and today as well. Doesn't change the fact that a car with 50 miles or so shouldn't be doing this, and if one repair hasn't gotten it the first time then Dodge should authorize a new transmission. We aren't talking about one with thousands of miles on it, we're talking about a brand new car that failed right after purchase.
Millions of cars/trucks are produced every year and to expect every one to be perfect is wishful thinking. Parts fail in all brands a lot more than you are aware of and those cars are repaired and go years without issues. I had a GM with a bad engine fresh off the assembly line (this happens way more often than one would hope), a cylinder was over bored and didn't allow for a proper seal. My dealer offered to replace it with a new car but it was a model year change and mine was no longer available. So GM offers to swap a new motor and send a GM tech to swap the motor. I was hesitant, until they threw in a bumper to bumper warranty that went well beyond my lease. We ended up buying the vehicle after the lease was up and never had a problem with that car.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'd be calm and work towards a resolution. If it sat at the dealership for too long to resolve I'd get corp involve and request a new car.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Millions of cars/trucks are produced every year and to expect every one to be perfect is wishful thinking. Parts fail in all brands a lot more than you are aware of and those cars are repaired and go years without issues. I had a GM with a bad engine fresh off the assembly line (this happens way more often than one would hope), a cylinder was over bored and didn't allow for a proper seal. My dealer offered to replace it with a new car but it was a model year change and mine was no longer available. So GM offers to swap a new motor and send a GM tech to swap the motor. I was hesitant, until they threw in a bumper to bumper warranty that went well beyond my lease. We ended up buying the vehicle after the lease was up and never had a problem with that car.

True, and I never tried to say mass produced is perfect every time. What I am saying is accept that mass produced does throw an occasional lemon. When you're the one who catches the lemon at mile zero, and here is where we apparently disagree, I say don't waste the time trying to fix the lemon. Swap it for another car, which will most likely not be another lemon. And for the record, I had a 99 Silverado and a 2000 S10 Blazer, both were new and both were lemons. 3 of the 5 new cars I've bought in my life were lemons (the third was the 93 Cougar), I'm really hoping the Charger will be a good one. So far so good, all three of my lemons had been in the dealer several times by the time I hit 2000 miles.

My Charger has over 2000 miles now and has only been in for repairs for two things so far. The driver door latch that wasn't quite right and the center console USB port was defective. On the door, it closed like a car with worn door hinges, it would life up a bit when it closed and would bind when you pulled on the door handles to open, the fix was a minor adjustment. One of the traces inside the USB port was not soldered down correctly and was sticking out so cables were not able to be plugged in.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Millions of cars/trucks are produced every year and to expect every one to be perfect is wishful thinking. Parts fail in all brands a lot more than you are aware of and those cars are repaired and go years without issues.
Back when I started in the auto industry, problems were reported per 100 cars. It was not unusual for cars to have several hundred parts for 100 cars.

Now the best cars are under 100 problems per 1000 cars, and the problems are minor in comparison to decades past.

Kind of funny, one issue I got involved in, the product had a problem that appeared in one region and only one region. Sent an engineer to the region, and it was obvious what the problem was. that data would have gotten lost in the noise years ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts