Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So ive got my tower strut bar ordered.
and im about to place an order on the 6.1L valve covers since the 5.7 engine shroud wont fit anymore.

i wanna do something custom. but i want to do it by hand. make a project out of it ya know.

im going to using a sander to grind off the "HEMI" and the "6.1L"
i would leave the "hemi" Raised up, and just sand down the "6.1L" but i want to be flush with eachother

im not sure who to contact about decals or vinyls that are heat resistant enough, but i want to have some one replicate the "HEMI" and "5.7L" to go where the original raised lettering was. Any Suggestions of who does this type of work?(reflective concepts?ridergraphix?)

then i intend on painting the entire thing Silver, to color match with my cars body.(i also am going to do this to my AFE intake tube)

and then lay the black lettering down on top of the covers.

so, now that ive told you all my plans :D ...

what process might i go about to paint it and prepare it?
do i need a spray gun?
can i use the paint from the dealer?
etc?

im a newb when it comes to painting car things like this so any input from all of you "underhood custom" experts would be super appreciated.
Elcobra set me on the right path, but im not sure how to paint it, as i said.

Thanks in advance
The Dude

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
One thing you could do is use ANY decals you can find, put them on, paint the entire cover, and then remove the decals, leaving the imprint from the decals colored the same as the cover was while the rest is another color. You can also paint the whole cover the color you want the letters, install cheapy decals, respray in another color, and remove the decals. Thats a couple ways.
Cant tell you much about prep since I have no idea what the covers are made out of.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so is using a air compresser powered paint gun mandatory?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I have done a LOT of rattle can painting. My tails, interior pieces, hemi badge.
One day I will do my engine cover, but I havent figured out what to do yet. I WAS kind of thinking making it my product endorsement billboard (Mobil1, Meguires, BilletTech, Franks, AEM, Bosch) among others, but I cant paint for crap doing stuff like that so I'd have to get decals which cant handle that heat, so I dunno.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
What are the covers made of? Plastic?
If so you will need to clean the crap out of them.Sand them down smooth , clean again, spray on a plastic adhesive promoter, clean again, spray on a non-sanding primer, clean again, then spray on the paint. It is best to spray light coats and let the paint "flash," to light touch, dry in between coats. Clean then spray a clear of all. Again in light coats till shine is desired.

Might pm Stan - "ILIKETORACE" He painted his.

Scott

·
Registered
151 Posts
Over on LX Forums, contact PaleRider (don't know if he is on this forum). He makes covers for the 5.7L. Great guy to deal with. I just got my set...now I have to paint them.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I sanded with very fine paper, primed the heck out of them and then shot them with a flat black enamel..

If you wanted to do a color, go for the clear coat and wet sand them between coats.

I photocopied my covers so I had a means to have the vinyl cut.. I took it to a graphics shop and they made me a bunch to mess with. Normal, 8 year vinyl will hold up just fine!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I used spray cans from the dealer ... By the way, not sure how you are going to grind off the 6.1 if I am not mistaken its raised lettering, and hollowed out. Its not solid plastic...

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just to clarify, it is raised lettering, but it isnt raised in the back, so its flat on back and you have room to sand down? thats how im reading - just to check :D

and... you can buy *spray cans* from the dealer? essentially color matched car spray paint cans? thats the part im most worried aobut. i dont have an air compressor or all the nifty tools that can be used with one.

just lots of plug in powah tools and a big tool box full of stuff.

again, thanks for all the inpput guys!
this is gonna be a fun project

any other advice? :D

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
It's raised in the back.. When I flip the cover over, you can still see the impression, but it isn't raised enough. As long as you don't sand down to China, you'll be fine. :)

Dealers will sometimes have to order the spray cans for you, but they are available.

Silver sucks to work with - Definitely apply several light coats, rather than trying to get it all on there with one thick one.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
where can i pick up a clear coat or some type of sealant once i get all the layers of paint on?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I didn't have time to mess with my cover and deal with sanding and issues others have encounted, so I let 22 Elite also provides paint the cover for me. They aslo have stainless kits for the shroud. They painted my cover and it looks great. I am very happy with the results. I attached the best pictures I have at this time. The cover looks great!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well since the topic is on engine covers, I'll be a photo hore and show you mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts