This write-up is for how to use your Cigarette lighter outlet as an easy to reach, stealth location for an ESP switch.
If you don’t mangle the cigarette lighter assembly, you will be able to re-install it again down the road if you need to sell / trade in your car.
For instructions on how to remove the center console, dash bezel, and which wires to cut refer to RTjunkie's ESP Write-up! He did a great job.
1) You want to remove the dash bezel, and then remove the ash tray assembly. Gently pull it straight out, it is held in with the same type of clips as the dash bezel. Disconnect the wires for the heated seats and cigarette lighter
2) This is the hard part. The cylinder cigarette lighter assembly has to be pushed from the back. There are two tiny black tabs opposite each other inside the cylinder that holds it in. I worked at the tabs with a knife and used the knife handle for leverage to push the assembly out from behind. If you don’t care about putting the lighter back in later, grab some pliers and give it a good twist and push.
3) Once it’s out you want to remove the black plastic ring. This pushes off the back. You may have to work at another 2 tabs.
4) I went ahead and cut off the black tabs that stuck down from the black plastic ring to allow more room to access the switch from behind. I used a hack saw.
5) Take a trip to radio shack and grab the switch of your choice. I used part 275-0012. It’s a red push button that fits perfectly in the plastic ring. There were a ton of choices but the diameter of everything else I saw was either too small or too large for the opening.
6) The plastic ring fits snugly in the hole so you only need to secure the switch to the ring. I used 2 pea sized dots of hot glue on the back of the switch and it held securely.
7) Now that you have the space to install your switch, and your switch is ready, go ahead and follow RT junkies instructions for removing the center counsel and cutting the necessary wires.
8) I routed the wires under the right of the shifter; I also twisty tied them to the group of wires nearby so if the wires get pulled by accident, it will not disrupt the connection.
9) Re-assemble the center counsel and dash, when you go to put the ash tray assembly back in, pull the wires through the hold where the cigarette lighter used to be
10) Attach the wires to the switch & push the plastic ring holding your switch back into the opening. The plastic ring should fit snugly in the hole, if it doesn’t, you could use another two dots of hot glue.
Take a drive and test it out, then have a beer.
NOTE: Once you switch the ESP off, switching it back on won’t bring it back until you stop the car, remove the keys, and start it again.