Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are the instructions on a gorgeous niteshades application, near professional if not better:

Note: if you want to tape off the reverse white bars, do this before anything else mentioned. It requires some time to look right.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED: (If you want to wet-sand)
-Some 1000 grit sandpaper
-Some 2000 grit sandpaper
-VHT Niteshades spray
-Cleaning product to clean lenses WELL before application
-Warm area to paint
-Paintence
-And yes, beer

Note: must be AT LEAST 65 degrees to do this properly, the warmer it is the faster it should dry, but still follow the instructions.

Put newspaper down in the area you plan to paint on. note: DO NOT do it outside, bugs will land in it (and at night if yoru garage is open and lit up, they may land on it too attracted to the light)

Set the tail lights down on the paper. Test spray something.

Begin spraying:

Make sure you add LIGHT coats and if you want it good, take it to a dust-free area (if u dint have one, set up a fan aiming out the garage door, and WET the garage before you paint to keep dust settled) Spray about 8 inches away from the tail lights, overlapping your last pass by about half. Continue on down the light. Apply as many coats till desired darkness. Wait AT LEAST 30 mins between coats, the longer you wait the better.

NOTE: BE SURE you paint the edges around the headlight that are red, people neglect those and they look stupid. Don't be afraid to accidently paint the black plastic, afterall, it is black anyway.

When done, (I didn't clear) you can do the same with clear, but only clear once, if you must do twice wait at least 2 or 3 hours before spraying more on.
Spray can clear will work fine

You would want to wet sand before spraying clear, and make absolutely sure ALL dust is off the tail light.

Simple WET SANDING instructions: (this will take awhile)
Note: Wet sanding MAY take very very light layer of VHTniteshades off tails, so make sure if you are going to wet sand, that you spray a little extra so when you're done sanding it is the desired darkness.

-Wet sand with 1000 grit first. Make sure you sand EVENLY and gently DO NOT Push hard on the paper, let the weight of your hand do the sanding. Sand as evenly as you can. As soon as you are done and it is noticably smooth, continue with 2000 grit. Still be careful, but not as crutial as 2000 grit is very soft. BE SURE as you're sanding, the tail light is WET. You don't necessarily have to POUR water all over it, (although okay) you can mist it with water as you go along. Spray bottles work fine, this job may be good for 2 people, 1 person to mist, the other to sand. Keep it damp during sanding.

(All i did for mine was spray them too close, and mine still turned out fine)

Do it following my directions it's fool proof!

Purdy tails without the ugly red showing of rock blockers, and the annoyance of installing. Don't worry about your rock blockers falling off in the car wash, and the epoxy used to hold them on not cracking or messing up your plastic underneath during un-assembly.

I have heard lacquer thinner will take VHTniteshades off WITHOUT damaging the plastic, although I have never personally tried this myself.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dazzler....I want some pictures along with this how to :D Nice write up though
I already did mine, and followed my directions... poorly and they turned out great! I dont have any clear one my tails...

I only think it's necessary on black cars, because of how dull the black looks next to black and clear coat. VHT niteshades already has SOME gloss to it.

(My buddy and I after we tinted our tails)

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HAHAHA i just saw his photochop of my license plate, how nice!! LMAO

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably depends on how good of a friend he is.

Anyway, nice writeup "Ron". I've had a few people ask me how to do this but the dealer did them for me. I'll give them a link to your thread.

P.S. Any HID reverse tails? :wink:
No but theres 15 LED reverse bulbs that are 10000k temp that look liek HID's :grin:

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder if these will light up any better than stock with my blacked out tails. Right now I can't see crap when I go in reverse.
yeah they will

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thanks alot Ron - I'll be following your guide for my install.

<3 Liquid

·
Registered
831 Posts
Does anyone have any pics with the tint and someone pressing the brake pedal? I'm trying to get a feel for how dark it would look.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone have any pics with the tint and someone pressing the brake pedal? I'm trying to get a feel for how dark it would look.
I dont have pics, but I can tell you its not much dimmer if at all than stock without tint. Shines through fine

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
mine is only 3 coats professionally painded with VHT by a buddy's body shop.

they are alot dimmer during the day. I had a friend follow 300 feet behind me on the freeway and he could still see them light up and signal for lane change tho. At they are just as bright as stock tho.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mine is only 3 coats professionally painded with VHT by a buddy's body shop.

they are alot dimmer during the day. I had a friend follow 300 feet behind me on the freeway and he could still see them light up and signal for lane change tho. At they are just as bright as stock tho.
looks amazing!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts