Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To start off My headlights look like crap! I don't know how I ever had my headlights get like this. My headlights were so scratch and had no clarity at all and I needed to do something about it and this is what I did......:bigthumb:

First:

Go to your auto supply store and buy the Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit for about $20 or so.

This is what you get....

and this is what comes inside

Second:

You make sure there are no debris or anything on the headlight and give them a quick wash and dry.

This is my drivers side headlight, and you can clearly see how bad they are no matter what angle you look at it....

Third:

After drying off the headlight get your battery power drill or power operated drill and attach the yellow pad.

Next, apply some of the Meguiars PlastX to the pad as shown...

Start off by gently stabbing the headlight with the pad so you can have some of the solution on the headlight

After you do this drill away :D

Make sure you go in a up and down motion first and a side to side motion second all around the headlight.

I started with the passenger side first and you should get this as the finished product like me. You can clearly see the difference between the both!!!

In this picture the driver side was not done yet and you can see the passenger side had more clarity with the hid's then the driver side.

I then went ahead and did the driver side and got this... :banana:

This kit is worth every penny!! I tried using the Turtle Wax headlight kit and the was a piece of $HYT! This is a cheap way then going ahead and buying a new set of headlights!

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Awesome. I've heard the radio commercials for this stuff on the Jim Rome show. (Maybe it was Dan Patrick.) Anyway I'm glad to see it worked so well. Good job.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I have the PlstiX at home, didn't know i could use it on my headlights ima give this a go. I don't have a cool drill thing though....

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Very good writeup. My Charger's headlights are ok but my daily driver's headlights could use some touchup. I think I'll buy some! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thanks for posting! I have the same issue with my headlights and didn't know if there was any other way to fix it than buying all new ones! I'm definately gonna try this!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
ive never dealt with ones that were like yours. ive restored some headlights that were crusty and yellow before though.

i used a couple different grits of wetsand paper, 1000 then 1500, then 2000 until they were just cloudy because of the fine scratches. then used turtle wax rubbing compound with a powerball. then finished with scratch-x and the powerball....

this would only be needed on REALLY BAD headlights though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mopar has a restore kit. The only thing that I have noticed about these kits is that you are not adding any "protection" after treating the plastic. The headlights will then get bad again in time and if you keep using the kit you may wear thru all the lamination. The mopar kits and the Everwear kit that I have used have a liquid lamination you apply after you fix the lens. You may want to check those out.

Your lens did come out nice though.

·
Banned
370 Posts
in addition to this kit, you can wet sand the lens first with 1200 grit sandpaper and it will get even clearer.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Nice writeup.

When i tinted my headlights i sanded it with 1500grit and they were way better looking until it dried. Luckily i was going to tint so they came out real nice after they were buffed out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts