Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Scat Pack with factory HIDs. I wanted to swap the Osram Night Breaker Lasers in to see if it would give me more light. The factory ones I noticed are Osram cool blue 5500k. The Night Breakers are only rated 100 lumens brights than the cool blue ones.

I may end up just returning them, but I couldn't figure how the hell to pull the bulb out of the damn socket?
It didn't twist. Is there a screw or something you have to remove? Not much room to navigate down in those tight areas.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Start at the 5 min mark, there is a collar that has to be rotated 1/2 turn. Also you can get the drivers side out easier by remving the Air Filter Box

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow looks like a giant pain in the ass. Do you have to access them via the wheel well or can they simply be reached from the engine bay?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Actually easier to go through the wheel well. For my 13 it was easier to remove the bumper and the whole housing to get a good grip on the the retainer rings. The OEM ones are trash. Bought new clip rings on eBay.

Reactions: FlyersHockey

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely will have to remove the airbox for driver's side. I can reach the passenger side one enough to manipulate it, but these retainer rings seem to be the problem

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The drivers side is very easy, remove the air box it takes about 2 minutes.

The passenger side, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. Pop out about 5 or 6 of those plastic push pin things, roll the wheel well liner back enough that you can wedge it above the wheel and between the fender. Then, have fun! If you have big hands, it is a pain in the ass. I used a 18" screw driver and a rubber mallet to break the black plastic locking collar loose.

Obviously do the drivers side first so you know the process of how to remove the dust cover, connection, locking collar, and bulb. You wont really be able to see what youre doing on the oassenger side, so remember the process so you can feel what youre doing.

Not a fun process, but is do-able, especially when you know what the dealer would charge to do it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have a 2020 Scat Pack with factory HIDs. I wanted to swap the Osram Night Breaker Lasers in to see if it would give me more light. The factory ones I noticed are Osram cool blue 5500k. The Night Breakers are only rated 100 lumens brights than the cool blue ones.

I may end up just returning them, but I couldn't figure how the hell to pull the bulb out of the damn socket?
It didn't twist. Is there a screw or something you have to remove? Not much room to navigate down in those tight areas.
Where did you see the OEM ones were cool blue 5500k? I've got HIDs in my 2019 R/T and my understanding is the stock bulb is 4300k and has been for a while. I can't imagine they'd put a "cool blue" bulb in from the factory...

Reactions: FlyersHockey

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Where did you see the OEM ones were cool blue 5500k? I've got HIDs in my 2019 R/T and my understanding is the stock bulb is 4300k and has been for a while. I can't imagine they'd put a "cool blue" bulb in from the factory...
I think they have been using 4300k for quite a long time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would sound logical, but I looked at the back of the Osram bulb and looked up the model number. It is this exact model: D3S: Osram Xenarc 66340 Cool Blue Intense 5500K HID Bulb

The bulbs do have a bluish tint to them, 5500k would be my estimate. But the light output is more of a bright halogen which to me is disappointing.

The ones I bought to try and replace them are rated at about 4300k but put out more light:

Depending on how well these new bulbs work, I still would like to add some projector LED fog lights. The black/gray plastic inserts have a solid spot that could be cut out above the intake mesh and fit some fog lights. I don't know whats behind it but I would assume there would be some kind of mounting point.

Does anyone know someone who has added aftermarket fog lights to a Charger that hasn't come with them from the factory in lieu of more cooling?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I went with the osram cbi 55k and they do give you a nice white light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went with the osram cbi 55k and they do give you a nice white light.
Those are the ones that came factory with them. Maybe I'm just used to brighter HIDs. The beam pattern is pretty good. I would like the fogs to illuminate a bit more to the sides though.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
The Osram CBI ones did not come stock in 2013. The OEM bulbs for pretty much every car is about 4300k. The CBI ones are about 5500k.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
SP should come with fog lights unless you went with the wide body.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I don’t think they come pre wired since they’re using the same style as the hellcat but I coooooould be wrong. Pop off the wheel well and take a peak.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I replaced the bulbs today. Luckily I dont have fat fingers so I was able to do it from under the hood instead of the wheel well. Once I saw how to turn those locking collars, it wasn't hard really. Amazing how quick the airbox comes apart (just one bolt).

As far as the bulbs, I do notice a slight improvement in amount of light output. A while back I aimed the beams up, but I think its a bit too high as the light reaches very far but becomes sparce, and the high beams are useless because they aim so high.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone run LED headlights? These are rated very high on illumination. I'm just still not very satisfied with mine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts