Charger Forums banner

801 - 820 of 821 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone have a nuvi 3590? I do not have the files in the ASR folder. I copied the ones from the other garmin I had which should work but I reset the gps updated to the newest map and the asr files listed in the OP are not in there
I'm in the same boat. Been using a Nuvi 3490 for some years to update the maps. This time, nada.
I have all the files but the ASR directory has only:
en_US.srd
es_US.srd
fr_CA.srd

Looking like I'm boned. Guess I can get another Nuvi and try again.
Already tried reinstalling the maps on the Nuvi and it went fine, just... no files to copy...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Been using a Nuvi 3490 for some years to update the maps. This time, nada.
I have all the files but the ASR directory has only:
en_US.srd
es_US.srd
fr_CA.srd

Looking like I'm boned. Guess I can get another Nuvi and try again.
Already tried reinstalling the maps on the Nuvi and it went fine, just... no files to copy...
I have a Garmin 3590.
Drop a line on my inbox to see if I can help you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think I'm addicted to updating RB5's. Risky update. Don't try on 2.63 it won't work, 4.08 only. Timing the update didn't work either. Had to keep the car running with box fan in front to not overheat. I modify my sticks with POI (point of interest) directory cause I like rest stops. see pics

·
Registered
4 Posts
So....
I went to update my Nuvi 3490 with the newer maps and they wouldn't fit.
Instead it put the lower 49 states in with no .ASR files. Got those elsewhere.
Tried updating the car and it gave me this:

Noticed the map file was smaller than the last update I'd saved as Garmin Express had pared it down:

Rooted all around the house and finally found the smallest capacity SD card I had; 32GB. Garmin Express recognized it as being the largest my 3490 could handle and offered to install the lower 49 states on it. Didn't particularly want the 49 on the SD card but I let it play, hoping to offload some of the files.

Garmin Express installed the NA maps. It only copied the JCV directory to the SD card with a single file in it, leaving me an empty JCV directory on the 3490.
But it gave me the entire larger map file.
Menu showed 99% of system storage used and 1% of SD card.
Copied over the larger .img file and the JCV directory from the SD card (which interestingly shows up as a separate drive in windows), unlocked the maps, and installed on the way home from work this morning. Stopped at Starbucks to let Garmin percolate a bit. The girl said the coffee was on her because she liked my beard Finished up the flash in the garage.
Life is looking up!
And thanks MiguelPereira for some much needed assistance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Dodge Journey. It started getting the Can't unlock maps error. I've been reading through this thread and it seems like this process would fix this issue. The radio is currently on ctp17.

I'm going to downgrade it to ctp13. Is there a specific model of nuvi I have to buy to get the lifetime maps? I bought my father in law a Garmin nuvi 2460LMT in 2012. Can I use this model to pull the files needed to do the upgrade of Maps on my 2016 Dodge Journey?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I really need to figure out what I need to update my 2014 300 to some newer maps :/
I use it so little though as my phone is right beside my HU (usually use Waze) I hate to spend much on it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone able to pm me if they can host these files in a dropbox? Having issues acquiring a nuvi with 3d maps. Additionally, can this be done with a drivesmart 65 for example?

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #808 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 Dodge Journey. It started getting the Can't unlock maps error. I've been reading through this thread and it seems like this process would fix this issue. The radio is currently on ctp17.

I'm going to downgrade it to ctp13. Is there a specific model of nuvi I have to buy to get the lifetime maps? I bought my father in law a Garmin nuvi 2460LMT in 2012. Can I use this model to pull the files needed to do the upgrade of Maps on my 2016 Dodge Journey?
As far as a recommended Nuvi model, I would go ahead with a 3000 series. Since you have the 2016 Journey, you have the newer model RB5, which uses 3D maps, and I do not believe the 2460LMT has it. You can always do an update and access the files and see if they are the same ones listed in the first post of this thread!

If you get the "Can't Unlock Maps" error, it is because you forgot to unlock the files that were mentioned in the instructions:

Step 2: Unlocking the gmapprom.img and gmap3d.img files

Now that the update package is on the USB stick, there is still one more step before it can be uploaded to the car. This may be unnecessary, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

The CTP13+ systems do not require you to generate an unlock code, but two files, gmapprom.img & gmap3d.img should be manually unlocked before they go into the car.

The best program that I've used to unlock the maps can be found here:

Garmin Image Tools

Download this file to your computer and unzip into a folder on your desktop.

To unlock the two files, simply drag-and-drop them one at a time onto the "gimgunlock.exe" file using your file explorer. It will only take a couple of seconds to unlock both files. A command window will flash by, so fast you may miss it if you blink.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys wondering if anyone can help.

2013 journey rt

Tried to update using a variety of usb's none would work just got the"maps were not updated message". One of the usb's had the 4.08 file on there which I'm pretty sure I was still on from return I updated back in 2016.

Anyway after clicking continue it said the firmware on the usb was older than the current version so I went to dealer menu and hit restore Garmin. The bar came up, then a couple of seconds later I heard a click and the screen went black. Left it for 10 mins and nothing else happened. Pulled the radio fuse turned the car off. (It was in acc mode).

Now it doesn't detect the key, no interior lights, pudding the key into the start button makes it click and whir but nothing.

Looks like I bricked the whole car. The wife is not happy.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys wondering if anyone can help.

2013 journey rt

Tried to update using a variety of usb's none would work just got the"maps were not updated message". One of the usb's had the 4.08 file on there which I'm pretty sure I was still on from return I updated back in 2016.

Anyway after clicking continue it said the firmware on the usb was older than the current version so I went to dealer menu and hit restore Garmin. The bar came up, then a couple of seconds later I heard a click and the screen went black. Left it for 10 mins and nothing else happened. Pulled the radio fuse turned the car off. (It was in acc mode).

Now it doesn't detect the key, no interior lights, pudding the key into the start button makes it click and whir but nothing.

Looks like I bricked the whole car. The wife is not happy.

Any thoughts?
Hello.

Once on my 2014 Journey I had to call a tow service to boost the battery when updating the maps. Pretty much the same scenario as yours
I also had issues with several USB drives as the uconnect is known to be picky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried boosting it from a battery booster and nothing. Just connected a smart battery charger to it and it says it's fully charged. I guess it's one of the fuses or relays that's blown

·
Registered
3 Posts
What do you have visible currently? I'm guessing you took out the usb as well? And is the car starting? Based on your description sounds like some sort of electrical failure

·
Registered
8 Posts
What do you have visible currently? I'm guessing you took out the usb as well? And is the car starting? Based on your description sounds like some sort of electrical failure
No interior lights come on when opening the door, press the start button and it says no key detected, press the start button with the key and the engine ticks but doesn't start. Lots of warning lights. Windows don't go down. Drivers power seat still moves.
When I hooked up my battery booster and tried to start it the booster says successful start.
USB removed. I've visually checked the fuses under the hood and the radio fuse in the cabin. (The car is in the garage against a wall so hard to get to the cabin fuses)
Can't find my obd2 reader hoping it's at work. If it is I'll plug that in when I get home tomorrow and see what it gives me.

Oh and radio screen doesn't come on at all. And the small screen on the instrument cluster says parking assist unavailable I think is the wording.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like a bad ground. Double check the fuses you messed with earlier. I remember a similar instance on an old car, loose wire and car would tick like crazy but not roll over. Highly doubt it's an alternator or anything like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It sounded familiar to me! :) New battery and make sure you update with the car running or go for a long drive while upgrading the maps.
Yeah looks like I'm getting a new battery. But why does it need to be in the wheel arch 😔
I'm the mean time think I'll take it to work with me and leave it running for a few hours.

801 - 820 of 821 Posts