Charger Forums banner

681 - 700 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

Yes you will need to downgrade to CP13 first, look at post #1 in this chain for which files need to be unlocked. Once you have all the files and run the update you can them flash CP17 again
Thanks Foden,

So I can go directly from CP13 back to CP17 in one upgrade or do I have to do them in order CP12 then CP13 etc?

Also what do I do about the two missing files I can't find. Apparently my NUVI 265W was never equipped with the 3D/DEM capability so that's why I can't find the GMAPDEM.IMG fille as well I am not sure about the D3406300A.SID (02/27/2020) file and why it isn't in the 2021.10 files I have.

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks Foden,

So I can go directly from CP13 back to CP17 in one upgrade or do I have to do them in order CP12 then CP13 etc?

Also what do I do about the two missing files I can't find. Apparently my NUVI 265W was never equipped with the 3D/DEM capability so that's why I can't find the GMAPDEM.IMG fille as well I am not sure about the D3406300A.SID (02/27/2020) file and why it isn't in the 2021.10 files I have.

Thanks

Jon
Yes you can go from 17 to 13 and back again, I have 3 USB's for this process
1-CTP13
2-CTP17
3-Map upgrade

This is what I do
I downgrade to 13, from 17, using the Garmin Recovery tool found in the Dealership menu about 10 mins to complete after the progress bar has reached 100% and the system reboots (sometimes you need to pull the radio fuse if after 10 mins or so it still seems to be stuck or is twitching/flashing)
Once done, go to the Nav screen and insert my Map update USB (cross fingers) and the update runs for between 1 1/2 - 2hrs, i keep the car running (but locked)
Once done I go to the Nav screen and insert my 17 upgrade USB and select Yes to upgrade it about 10 mins to complete after the progress bar has reached 100% and the system reboots (sometimes you need to pull the radio fuse if after 10 mins or so it still seems to be stuck or is twitching/flashing)

As for the missing files you should be able to find them with a few good Googles, possibly on this forum too. Or look out for a nuvi 3490LMT or similar from ebay. The dem and 3d parts are needed if your nav unit shows the maps in 3d

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks Foden,

Thanks

Jon
Yes you can go from 17 to 13 and back again, I have 3 USB's for this process
1-CTP13
2-CTP17
3-Map upgrade

This is what I do
I downgrade to 13, from 17, using the Garmin Recovery tool found in the Dealership menu about 10 mins to complete after the progress bar has reached 100% and the system reboots (sometimes you need to pull the radio fuse if after 10 mins or so it still seems to be stuck or is twitching/flashing)
Once done, go to the Nav screen and insert my Map update USB (cross fingers) and the update runs for between 1 1/2 - 2hrs, i keep the car running (but locked)
Once done I go to the Nav screen and insert my 17 upgrade USB and select Yes to upgrade it about 10 mins to complete after the progress bar has reached 100% and the system reboots (sometimes you need to pull the radio fuse if after 10 mins or so it still seems to be stuck or is twitching/flashing)

As for the missing files you should be able to find them with a few good Googles, possibly on this forum too. Or look out for a nuvi 3490LMT or similar from ebay. The dem and 3d parts are needed if your nav unit shows the maps in 3d

Most importantly the units are VERY VERY VERY picky about the USB's they will accept. The 2 I use for firmware up/down grade only work with the firmware. If I use them to update the maps they fail. Just because a particular stick works for one person doesn't mean it will work 100% for any other unit - very frustrating process

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes I concur, the usb sticks are very very picky. As for your missing files, if you notice in the first post he mentions the "fallback method" where he doesnt mention anything about needing the gmapdem file. I have never tried this but perhaps it would be useful for you to try without it? And as for the sid file, all it does is help you find points of interest. So if youre missing one of those its not the end of the world, youll just be short a couple places.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks guys,

Was able to locate both missing files so hopefully I am good now. That's very interesting about the USB sticks. Does there seem to be any brand, etc that seems to be the best. I do see that you said it seems to be different for everyone.

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use a kingston datatraveller without any problems, but when Foden tried it, he couldnt make it work. The USB sticks are a mystery
Sounds good. I have a couple of these at home. Hopefully they work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah it's anyone's guess as to which stick will work. I went through the better part of 15 or so different USB's, the Kingston 16GB 100 G3 USB 3.0 DataTraveler did'nt work for me. The only ones that do, i have 2, are these, which to be honest I thought were garbage that I'd had lying around for a while
I have utilities format them all to FAT32 and can't for the life of me figure out what the issue is. The firmware USB's don't seem to be that picky it's just the map update. Earlier on i did try with DVD's too but that didn't work either.

When you do the map update I always formatted the USB and started from scratch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well Holy Crap it worked!!

I can't believe it!! That whole process went off without a hitch!!!

The sudden Can't Unlock Maps issue on my wife's Journey seems to be resolved and error gone away!!!

I was able to downgrade to CTP13, upgrade to 2021.10 Maps, and then upgrade back to CTP17!!

As a FYI never had an issue with the Kingston 32GB Data Travelers I used.

Whole process took just under 2 hours from start to finish.

Thanks again for all the help!! Appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's crazy, i have the same one but it didn't work for me at all - it did for Mike2610 though - must be something funky about our Journey. Oh well, we now know what to use to get it to update which is the key.

All we need now is for some tech genius to figure out how to do it with wasting 2 hours of your life and/or gas ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Haha!! Yeah the 2 hour part is definitely a pain in the butt!!! Good thing is I cleaned up the garage abit and finally got the Christmas lights down from the eaves. :)

Thanks again for your help!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's crazy, i have the same one but it didn't work for me at all - it did for Mike2610 though - must be something funky about our Journey. Oh well, we now know what to use to get it to update which is the key.

All we need now is for some tech genius to figure out how to do it with wasting 2 hours of your life and/or gas ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hopefully if enough people try this out and keep trying different sticks then we can try to narrow down the stick issue

And as for gas I just keep cycling mine between on, off and acc, i never actually turn the motor on, and as long as the audio is off, then the amp is off and thus the radio isnt using much power. And as mentioned its a great time to do some garage work or change the oil in the car.

As for the 2 hour thing, its probably cause the memory is old and it takes the info off the stick in a batch process so i dont think there is any way around that, but it would be nice if it was something you could do in the background.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll retry the Kingston on the next upgrade.

If i didn't have the car running I'd be concerned I'd get side tracked by something and brick the car :oops:

I think you're right about the age of the memory and the USB is likely v1.0 combined to make it dog-slow and no way around that for us

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys i have a quick question I have a 2014 chrysler 300c with the nav unit. What Garmin gps do I need to buy so I can update the maps on my radio. I don't want to spend 150 on one map update when I can buy a GPS and keep updating in the future. I have read through the forum some but I just want advice on which GPS I should buy. I wouldnt mind buying a newer unit but if the newer models won't work that's no big deal. Either way money is no issue I dont mind spending 200 as long as I can keep updating.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use a nuvi 3490LM, this one has 3D
Well I got researching alittle more and bought a nuvi 3597lmt off ebay for 70 bucks refurbished. I'm hoping everything goes well. It said it had 3D buildings and terrains is that what I need?

681 - 700 of 736 Posts