Charger Forums banner

401 - 411 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought I read it when reading about the nuvi nuMaps guarantee, not sure where though, sorry. I was looking into it because I'm pretty sure my nuvi 3590 was never updated by the previous owner.

I have a couple of questions though, when you update your nuvis does Garmin Express put the new map directly on the device? Does it overwrite or replace the old installed version? I have the 2013 and 2021 maps to choose from in myMaps now. I also have to use MapInstall to get the 2021.10 map into it and now there is a 'Maps" folder on the nuvi memory stick that has the .img file and a ton of gma files in it. I also don't see any of the correct ASR/JCV you all are using, the ones in my nuvi are the same as the 2013 update I did earlier.

It looks like the mapinstall version is different than our cars. What NT mapset should be in the car? North America? USA and Canada? Lower 49? Too many to pick from, I have access to internet files but would much rather use the known correct ones from the nuvi, just wish I could find them, lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
These are the maps that I installed in my 3580.

Maybe you installed the wrong maps and thats why Garmin Express was not able to directly copy them into the device?

·
Registered
31 Posts
So the name of the map should be "City Navigator North America NT 2021.10".

And you can see that the garmin express offers the option to install the map directly to the device.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Doesn't the reinstall map option go into a map folder on the computer's C Drive and not into the nuvi? The install path for each option on that screen is the same...

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's where mapinstall found the file for installation into the nuvi. It created a map folder on the nuvi memory stick and now shows the 2021 map in addition to the 2013 mapset instead of deleting and replacing the old one with the same file type.

I'm going to try downloading the uconnect map info to a blank memory stick and see what garmin express does with it. Failing that I think I'm going to have to find a different nuvi that's been updated normally throughout the years to get the same files everyone else has success with...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, the last few days have sure been interesting! The gmapprom image from mapinstall is different, but Garmin Express installed the normal 2021.10 files directly on my nuvi after I removed its memory stick.

It took several tries but it finally went through!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Then the weirdest thing happened. The parts guy at the dealership I work at found a bunch of radios on a high shelf, including 2 RB5s, a 2013 300 one with no issues and a 2014 Journey one with the "no detailed maps found" issue.

So I went through it all again with the 2013 RB5 and it went smooth as silk. The graphics on the 2013-2014 definitely look better all around compared to the 2011, at least on the 300 :cool:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Garmin 2021.20 (North America) Map update is now available.

The 2021.20 folders/directories and filenames for a CTP11/CTP12 Unit should be as follows:

└───Garmin
. │ gmapprom.img
. │ gmaptz.img
. │ gmapbmap.img
. │
. ├───ASR
. │ 06KTI5FK.srx
. │ 06KTI5FL.asr
. │ 06KTI5FM.asr
. │ 06KTI5FN.asr
. │
. ├───JCV
. │ D3191330A.jcv

*Note that these file names are ONLY for 2021.20 map

Reactions: commander

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a warning to a potential problem with our GPS units.

Due to a Y2K - type bug with the GPS clock software, there is a good chance that if you disconnect the battery to your head unit, when you connect it back up you can have these problems:

1) If you have "Sync time to GPS" in the RB4 head unit, the time will be 1 hour too early (display 7am when it should be 8am)
2) The "Estimated time of arrival" when using the Garmin navigation software will also list a time one hour earlier (it will say you will arrive 8:12am when it really will be 9:12am)

More info on this issue:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Installed the 2021.20 (North America) Map update without any problems. Due to the size of the files (4.5 GB) it took ~1.5 hrs. to install.

401 - 411 of 411 Posts