Charger Forums banner

381 - 400 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought it used and when I powered it up I'm pretty sure the map date on it was 2012, not 2013. I used Garmin Express to update it and I guess it only updated one years worth?

I think some nuvis qualified for a single year map update when bought new, regardless of whether they were maintained/updated every 24 months or better, maybe this was one of those...

·
Registered
31 Posts
They consider any unit not updated in 24mo to be out of its active service life, maybe so they don't have to pay for a royalty on that ID# anymore...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Which version of Garmin Express is on the computer? Mine just recently updated to 6.21.0.0
Select Settings and then select About. It will show the version and display an option to check for updates.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi djalbin! Same version, have downloaded and deleted unit and software from 3 different pc's today, 2 windows 10 and one windows 7.

Here's the gobbledygook from Garmin Express, none of which actually happens...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought it used and when I powered it up I'm pretty sure the map date on it was 2012, not 2013. I used Garmin Express to update it and I guess it only updated one years worth?
I would think that the garmin app would NOT download a map unless it has been approved to be installed on the connected device. So if it download 2021.10, then it thinks your device qualifies for that version.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It says right on that screen that it CAN NOT install the maps to your device and that you need to use "MapInstall" to copy the maps to your device.

But when I just did the map update for my nuvi, my copy of garmin express copied the maps directly to my device.

So, what version of garmin express are you using? It may not be the latest and that is why the maps are not being installed onto your device.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That makes sense, especially since there are no error messages, it seems to take the update fine-

I'm at version 6.21.0.0, same as djalbin, just downloaded from Garmin tonight...

·
Registered
31 Posts
So right at the 50% mark, it then jumps to the second screenshot saying "Updates Complete" in the green box?

Some things I would try...
1) In one of your screen shots it looked like I saw a mac keyboard. If you have a mac, then on that download link I posted it also has a mac version of the garmin express. Maybe try that version?

2) If all else fails, maybe try downloading the "MapInstaller" from garmins website:

And see if that will allow you to install the 2021.10 map into your device.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, thanks commander!

It took a while but MapInstall knew what it connected to, knew NT 2021.10 would fit on the device, and knew how much room would be left in the internal and external storage when done!

It's chugging away RN!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, that was too easy...it looks like the nuvi now has 2021.10 on it but still has 2013 on it, too. I wonder if MapInstall put a different map on it than our cars use. The files in the .System/ASR/JCV don't match the ones listed in the thread, I see a couple of files with newer dates but most of them are unchanged from before...

·
Registered
31 Posts
At this point, this has become a more complex problem that will proably require many "try this" steps that come with risk of messing up the nuvi device and/or your car's navigation, so unfortunately I can not provide any additional advice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
One tip I would highly suggest - Put aside and do NOT use the USB stick that you recently used to successfully update your car to 2013. This way you will then have a known "Good" USB stick that you can [hopefully] "restore" your cars navigation back to a good working state in the event it get's messed up with any experimentation you may do to troubleshooting this issue and possibly "trying" different files in your cars nav system. In other words do NOT reuse the original USB stick you used to do the last successful update, and instead use a different USB stick when troubleshooting this issue.

381 - 400 of 411 Posts