Charger Forums banner

361 - 380 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK, I just did the update without the Y and Z files (but included the two extra files I did find in the /ASR directory of my Nuvi 3580LM) and the update worked perfectly!

It took 1 hour and 20 minutes, and rebooted without having to take the fuse out.

Since those two missing files seemed to be related to AutomaticSpeechRecognition (ASR), I also did a test and verbally provided an address to navigate to and that worked too. So, hopefully there will be no surprises in the future related to those two missing files.

Thanks again for this excellent thread!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's great news! I'll give it a try here on my end too.
OK, I just did the update without the Y and Z files (but included the two extra files I did find in the /ASR directory of my Nuvi 3580LM) and the update worked perfectly!

It took 1 hour and 20 minutes, and rebooted without having to take the fuse out.

Since those two missing files seemed to be related to AutomaticSpeechRecognition (ASR), I also did a test and verbally provided an address to navigate to and that worked too. So, hopefully there will be no surprises in the future related to those two missing files.

Thanks again for this excellent thread!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just bought a used nuvi 3590 to update my CTP 2011 but after plugging it into my computer the maps on it were from 2012, and only updated to 2013.10!

Garmin Express now says the map level is current at 2021.10 but the nuvi my maps only list 2013, not sure why, the world map date/time are still borked, too...

Garmin support was no help...said 3590s are too old for that large of an update. You guys have done it and I have a 32gb stick in it so that doesn't make any sense, either...

For the heck of it I tried updating my RB5 with the data from the nuvi and it did work, my 2011 radio now has 2013 maps in it! Yay?

Should I be looking for a different nuvi seeing as this one was obviously never updated by its original owner? Why couldn't the Garmin rep tell me if I needed to buy a lifetime subscription again? He said his end showed the nuvi map level to be updated to current so I don't know what to do now.

If anyone has an updated nuvi to sell or the actual files for 2021.10 please let me know!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry misread your post....

I have a Nuvi 3580 and I was able to update to the 2021.10 but I know for a fact my nuvi has lifetime. Do you know if the 3590 also has lifetime?

Also when you said "and only updated to 2013.10! " - are you saying that you used the garmin express and thats how you updated it from 2012 to 2013.10?

Are you sure you are using the latest version of garmin express (Garmin Express - Windows | Garmin) ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, it said the update was successful and is at level 2021.10 but when I look at the my maps section on the nuvi to see the actual maps that load they are all level 2013.10...

·
Registered
31 Posts
So Garmin Express says the maps are 2021.10?

Did you try rebooting the nuvi to see if the displayed map version changes?

If you set the nuvi into file mode, what are the dates of the relevant map files in it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The nuvi says copyright 2019 now when it loads and the software version is 8.5, so I think it updated correctly.
The GPS date/time malfunction I had on my radio due to the week rollover + dead battery didn't fix itself but it did fix itself on the nuvi somehow...

·
Registered
31 Posts
So does the nuvi now say the map version is 2021.10?

And if not, what are the dates of the relevant files in the novi (using file explorer and putting the nuvi in file mode as described in OP)?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I meant a screenshot of the "garmin express" app running on your pc/mac:

This is the download link of the latest version:

Are you running the latest version of the garmin express app on your pc/mac?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Something is up with why the garmin express app is not downloading the latest map to your nuvi.

What happens if you click on "Map Options" (in blue text)?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tried to reinstall, every time I reinstall 2021.10 it seems to do it and gets the graph to 50%, then the 2nd half is the validation step, which it may fail due to never being updated before...

·
Registered
31 Posts
It says software updated successfully every time I re-do it but the nuvi always stays on 2013...

That;s why I tried it in the car, to see if it worked and it actually worked, bit only to 2013 :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm guessing that the first 50% is the garmin app downloading the map into your PC, and the remaining 50% is then copying the map to your device, and if it fails during the last 50% that would explain why the device still has 2013 on it.

But, then how did you update it from 2012 to 2013?

361 - 380 of 411 Posts