Charger Forums banner

How Awesome Is This??? Finally a solution after Uconnect, Internet, and Dodge Couldnt

• IT WORKED!!!! Thanks So Much for sharing your discovery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It didnt work

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so you know how annoying it is that album songs from ipod/iphone play in alphabetical order.....well after a year of owning my 2012 R/T and searching for a solution i finally just gave up. WELL I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!! All you do is open your Itunes then select an album or playlist. Next what your going to do is right click the first song of the album and select "Get Info" from the menu. Then you will click on the "Sorting" tab at the top. Under the sorting tab you will find a field called "Sort name". Here you will place the number of the specific track. So for example for the first song of the album you will want to put "1" (without quotes)...second song of the album "2" and etc etc [See photo below]...after you do the whole album sync your ipod then get into your car and try it.... YESSSSSSSSSSS FINALLY....after searching the web for almost a year i had given up and accepted that was the way it was going to be but i just randomly stumbled upon this solution while adding songs to my Ipod and i was like i bet this will work let me try it and it did!!!! Something Dodge nor Uconnect could give us owners a solution too.....will take awhile to do for all my albums but well worth it.....Spread the word to all owners....and your welcome in advance lol
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

·
Super Moderator
11,503 Posts
That's great, but there's no need to re-post this 14 times all over the forum.

Just spent 10 minutes cleaning that mess up.

Do it again and I will perma-ban you.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Annnnnd hez banned

·
Super Moderator
11,503 Posts
Annnnnd hez banned
Dude went a tad overboard.

I mean is this such a revelation that it was worth posting in 15 different threads? Even after being warned?

I has a confused.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I hear ya lol

·
Super Moderator
11,503 Posts
Well, I've added this to the "Everything" thread in the hopes that it actually works for someone.
That is much better than posting it in every active thread on the forum.

:bigthumb:

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just found this thread and took interest in the above "Solution".

I too have the problem of my uConnect playing songs in alphabetical order, and I tried to address it in the "DodgeForum".

Although Dodge has yet to fix the problem I did find a band aid fix that did not require me to modify my 8500 individual songs. That proposed solution is was DOA and sure to include mistaken typing errors.

Please see my solution using a freeware program called MP3TAG.:

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics/309897-uconnect-4-3-and-ipod-help.html

MP3TAG can update entire directories of songs with a single mouse click by placing the track number in front of the song title. While this is not perfect, my songs have been playing in the proper order or the last 9 months.

I will upload in the next few days the syntax I used to instruct the program to put track numbers before each title.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Thanks bortzjr, this is good info. Let's make this easier to find, rather than scrolling through another thread.

" Anyway, this weekend I found a bandaid solution. I was talking to guy in a restaurant discussing The*Beatles*Abbey Road album and mentioned my problem with the uConnect system playing that album. He suggested adding the Track number to the beginning of each song's Title. I said that would work fine but I can't do that with over 8000 songs. He mentioned a freeware program call Mp3Tag.exe. It allows batch changes to an MP3 song's tag entries. A tag is the ancillary info that accompanies many MP3 songs; filename, track number, title, artist, album, etc. The program was easy to find, deemed safe by my anitvirus software, and very easy to learn. I simply entered the directory on my harddrive where all my songs are located and told Mp3Tag to place each song's track number in front of that song's current title. In ten minutes the program was finished with 8000+ songs and no errors. I then reloaded my iPodFANTASTIC!

My iPod now plays songs in track order by playing each song alphetically. While I'm happy I found a band-aid, it sucks I have to search the net to find that band-aid. Chrysler should be able correct this major annoyance very easily, like they did for the*newer models."

·
Registered
516 Posts
There might be an even better solution in the long run, but it requires some work to implement it all. I went through this process last year and cleaned up my entire music library, and not only do my tracks play in the right order, I've got about 95% of my artwork to display properly.

The biggest problem is because of the Gracenote issue, which should not have been implemented the way it was in the Uconnect radio. Gracenote is perfect for physical, retail CDs, and that's all it should have been used for. It should not have been used by the radio for MP3 use, since most people have artwork already embedded in their music tracks nowadays.

This took me some time to figure out, and since it requires some "incorrect" tagging, I use a special user account on my computer so I could easily keep my "real" music and my "Uconnect" music libraries separate.

I use a free MP3 tagging software called MusicBrainz Picard. The really nice thing about this software is that you can add all of the retail CD information into the MP3 tracks, and it also has an album artwork preview button that matches very closely with the Gracenote database in our cars. You can load up an album and choose the actual release version, like "2008 US", and when you select the "right" one, the artwork will pop up in the corner. Once you save the new tags and upload then new changes into the iPod, the artwork works great in the car.

Gracenote still has a problem with compilation albums, so those require some additonal work. Every track artist must be changed to "Various Artists" so that the tracks are grouped into a single album with the right artwork. This kind of sucks in the radio, because you can't see the actual artist, but at least it prevents the new album for each artist problem.

If you've got any tracks with featured artists, those must also be changed to just the album artist, or they'll show up as an individual album without artwork, as well.

I spent a lot of time going back and "fixing" my 12,000 tracks, but you can batch process many of them at once. Any new music I add only takes a couple of minutes to get "Uconnect ready" now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts