Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if anyone has any insight as to how to drive the slap stick and get anymore performance out of the car? I get the basic concept, but I'm not sure that I've noticed that you can get any better 1/4 mile type performance by using the slapstick. I know if I mash the gas and keep it there till 100 mph it seems to shift consistently at around 5500 RPM. Not sure I'd want to push it much farther than that in slapstick mode. I'm also worried about dropping it down to first and getting into a serious donught or roast session and exceeding the redline...is that a concern or will the car shift up when it hits the redline? Or will it automatically back off the throttle...kind of like it does with TCM or ESP?

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
It will automatically shift @ redline. Also, it won't downshift unless the trans can handle the RPMs (ie- you can't downshift to 1st while going 60mph).

As far as if it helps performance, thats a whole other can of worms. There are so many who claim faster times using autostick, but just letting it shift on its own and then there are others who claim to get better times just leaving it in 'D'.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Computer (HAL) will not let you down shift into a lower gear if the revs are too high, so you don't have to woory bout hurtin' the e car. HAL does that for you. As far as 1/4 times go, you'll get better performance allowing the auto stick to do all the shifting for you. The fail safe systems in these cars are pretty bullet proof.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It may not be "faster" aceleration time wise, but when I am going wide open throttle I will take my foot off the gas at about 5500 rpms, slap it to the next gear and then mash the pedal. (all in about 1 second total time) Kind of like driving a real stick shift. Boy I tell you whut...This big 'ol car sure does jump forward when I mash the pedal after the shift.(unlike autostick shift with no jump forward) My "butt dyno" sure likes shifting this way better....:grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It will automatically shift @ redline. Also, it won't downshift unless the trans can handle the RPMs (ie- you can't downshift to 1st while going 60mph).

As far as if it helps performance, thats a whole other can of worms. There are so many who claim faster times using autostick, but just letting it shift on its own and then there are others who claim to get better times just leaving it in 'D'.
It may not be "faster" aceleration time wise, but when I am going wide open throttle I will take my foot off the gas at about 5500 rpms, slap it to the next gear and then mash the pedal. (all in about 1 second total time) Kind of like driving a real stick shift. Boy I tell you whut...This big 'ol car sure does jump forward when I mash the pedal after the shift.(unlike autostick shift with no jump forward) My "butt dyno" sure likes shifting this way better....:grin: :grin: :grin:

no but you can downshift to first doing 45 hehehe what a rush that is especially going through a overpass...

i do that same thing to try to replicate a real stick shift, i love the slamming action it provides

·
Super Moderator
11,541 Posts
Why do you take your foot off the gas??? That's the best thing (actually the only good thing) about the auto-stick over a manual transmission: you can keep the gas pedal mashed to the floor and still shift.

As for the original poster's question, I have NEVER driven my car in D. Not even on the first trip home from the dealership. I always use the auto-stick. When I am cruising, i shift up and down normally, but when I want to go fast, I downshift and floor it, and let the car upshift at max rev. As far as I know, this is the best way to do it when performance driving. Bee170 can confirm this, as he went to the SRT Experience and that's how they told him to do it.

Check out his thread here: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48448

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Why do you take your foot off the gas??? That's the best thing (actually the only good thing) about the auto-stick over a manual transmission: you can keep the gas pedal mashed to the floor and still shift.
When you are accelerating at WOT and you shift at say 5k rpm's, the tranny will hold the gear until redline and then shift smoothly without jumping forward like a rocket. You are basically "requesting" the next gear but the tranny wont shift until redline. By taking your foot off the gas and shifting, it is an instantaneous shift at that rpm and it feels more like a real stick shift. Try it, your "butt dyno" will agree its more fun...:smile: :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
11,541 Posts
When you are accelerating at WOT and you shift at say 5k rpm's, the tranny will hold the gear until redline and then shift smoothly without jumping forward like a rocket. You are basically "requesting" the next gear but the tranny wont shift until redline. By taking your foot off the gas and shifting, it is an instantaneous shift at that rpm and it feels more like a real stick shift. Try it, your "butt dyno" will agree its more fun...:smile: :tongue:
I'm skeptical, but I will try it. As I said above, when I am accelerating at WOT, I don't manually upshift, I let the car shift by itself at redline.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

As for the original poster's question, I have NEVER driven my car in D. Not even on the first trip home from the dealership. I always use the auto-stick. When I am cruising, i shift up and down normally, but when I want to go fast, I downshift and floor it, and let the car upshift at max rev. As far as I know, this is the best way to do it when performance driving. Bee170 can confirm this, as he went to the SRT Experience and that's how they told him to do it.

Check out his thread here: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48448
you can actually do the same thing with a true manual trans its called speed shifting, holding down the gas while shifting... its very hard to master but when you do ohhh boy thats the shyt right there

·
Super Moderator
11,541 Posts
you can actually do the same thing with a true manual trans its called speed shifting, holding down the gas while shifting... its very hard to master but when you do ohhh boy thats the shyt right there
We used to call it power shifting. Yes, very hard to master, and very hard on the car. But I used to do it once in a while in my 5.0 Mustang. Raced a dude from my gym once, and he was on a MOTORCYCLE. LOL. I power shifted and kept up to him (for a little while). Next lights he gave me a big thumbs up.

I could just imagine my Charger with a true manual. I think it would increase the fun factor exponentially!:D

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
oh hell yeah...but speed shifting, power shifting, whatever you wanna call it is sooo much easier on a bike, almost too easy, and yes i did the same with many 5 speed cars especially the mustang:D soo much fun:rockon: but def hard on the car...

·
Registered
383 Posts
While tuning with my "Butt DYNO" I also noticed its alot of fun pulling up to a car at a slow speed but high RPM because I'm in a low gear and just stomp it she jumps like a raped ape!!!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
[/U]

no but you can downshift to first doing 45 hehehe what a rush that is especially going through a overpass...

i do that same thing to try to replicate a real stick shift, i love the slamming action it provides
When I see a Mustang GT stopped at the next red light, I love to drop it down manually a couple of gears and let it roar with my foot off the gas up to the intersection. When the light goes green, accelerate up and shift gears in paddle shift.... the Charger roars. Those Stangs just wilt... argh!

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I usually drive in autostick coz i like to control my acceleration because sometimes in auto when i step on it the car wont down shift and will just accelerate slowly, with auto stick you just get kicked back into your seat lol.
oh and it cuts out the MDS so no MDS drone :).

as for how i drive well, when not feeling devlish i just shift around 2500 or 3000 RPM, and when i get the urge i let it go all the way and let her shift by herself :). The SLP LM2's make a super sweet roar when i let the car shift by herself :D.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Man im glad i did an autosearch of SLAPSTICK. I was gonna post a question about it. I was worried that using it too much is it hard on the car, but i see that quite a few people LOVE IT like i do. LOVE being at the light and take off. One of my friends said he seen me take off and asked if my car was Manual Transmission and i told him no. He said well DAYUM it sounds like your car is one. MAN i cant WAIT to get my PREDATOR because i heard it REALLY wakes the car up so that SLAPSTICK will just be that much more fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts