Charger Forums banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is misleading and should have been "CTP13 firmware makes it easier to feed your unit with the map data with virtually no checks".

The reason why I'm saying this is that I update Maps on my CTP16 unit with no downgrades. In CTP14+ Garmin rolled out their GMA protection of the maps, where GMA (as far as I understand) stands for Garmin Map Authentication and this mechanism replaces the unlock files.

To easily create an update USB stick for such a system the following prerequisites should be met:
  1. a compatible Nuvi device with current Map subscription (or its GarminDevice.xml)
  2. GarminExpress installed
  3. Basecamp installed
  4. MapInstall installed
  5. a spare USB (preferably USB 2.0, but not USB 3.0 compatible) of the comparable size to your map data (in Australia it's enough to have just a 1GB stick, but for the US it will be 8GB or more)

Now, launch GarminExpress and select Map updates, but choose to install to your computer instead of the device. This will result in Maps being unpacked and unlocked in Basecamp.

Go to Basecamp and under the Maps menu verify that the map is indeed there and has the "unlocked" status.

Insert your spare USB stick and launch MapInstall. Confirm that you want to install the map to the USB stick.

MapInstall will package the map back into the Garmin\gmapsupp.img on your USB stick, but will also put a GMA file next to the image file (the name of that GMA file looks like a GUID).

Eject the stick, and go to your car. When you insert the stick into your car it will go through the validation procedure (the bigger the map the longer the validation it seems) and once it's done you will be prompted to apply the update.

So far, this was the easiest way for me to keep my map up to date with no downgrades or whatever :)

Thanks mate - very helpful steps.
Initially I found the GPS/Nav in my 2012 (2013 compliance date) Chrysler 300 to be bit buggy so I told the dealer and they upgraded to CTP16 which solved the issue.
The problem then was I couldn't upgrade using the easy method any more but I worked out a solution in renaming gmapprom.img to gmapsupp.img which worked - but it didn't update the Junction View maps, in fact I lost Junction View functionality completely.

I've now followed your steps and I'm upgrading to the latest 2018.30 maps but I've noticed it dumps two GMA files to the USB and gmapsupp.img - that's it, no other files. So basically it's not upgrading Junction View etc, just the maps. At first it said the maps were incorrect when I plugged the usb into my car and then I worked out it was because I only copied the Australian maps, not New Zealand as well. Upon doing this, it's installed correct.

So I suspect the only way to upgrade everything, is to downgrade from CTP16 (and above) to CTP13.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just an update - I thought the above method worked but it failed right at the end after reflashing the new 2018.30 maps. The error was Cannot Unlock Map. This is despite is showing as UNLOCKED in Basecamp as per the above method. I've now tried a manual unlock tool so hopefully it works. Also prior to attempting the update, I was running 2018.10 successfully. After the failed update, it has returned me to the original 2013 maps that came with the car. Weird.

EDIT - this method doesn't work properly for me. After unlocking the maps manually, it did work but it hasn't updated the files correctly. I looked up an address in a new development close to me and despite it being visible in the birds eye map view, when I try to navigate to it, by entering suburb, street number, street name and it appearing correctly, it then reports a not found error.

I'm stumped why it doesn't work as I followed the exact instructions and I have a Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT - any ideas??

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Just an update - I thought the above method worked but it failed right at the end after reflashing the new 2018.30 maps. The error was Cannot Unlock Map. This is despite is showing as UNLOCKED in Basecamp as per the above method. I've now tried a manual unlock tool so hopefully it works. Also prior to attempting the update, I was running 2018.10 successfully. After the failed update, it has returned me to the original 2013 maps that came with the car. Weird.

EDIT - this method doesn't work properly for me. After unlocking the maps manually, it did work but it hasn't updated the files correctly. I looked up an address in a new development close to me and despite it being visible in the birds eye map view, when I try to navigate to it, by entering suburb, street number, street name and it appearing correctly, it then reports a not found error.

I'm stumped why it doesn't work as I followed the exact instructions and I have a Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT - any ideas??

This should work just fine!

I had a 2014 Charger and followed these instructions and it worked great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
:grin2::grin2::grin2:bonjour ,je suis français j'ai un fiat freemont 170cv cross ou dodge journey pour vous avec garmin uconnect 8.4n/rb5 .voila je suis passé à la mise à jour ctp17 et depuis j'ai des problèmes, mon itinéraire ne s'affiche plus en surbrillance et pas de guidage vocal . je souhaite revenir au ctp15 mais je ne le trouve nul part et de plus je voudrais mettre à jour ma carte europe puis -je suivre cette procédure ou non ?
merci à vous

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is misleading and should have been "CTP13 firmware makes it easier to feed your unit with the map data with virtually no checks".

The reason why I'm saying this is that I update Maps on my CTP16 unit with no downgrades. In CTP14+ Garmin rolled out their GMA protection of the maps, where GMA (as far as I understand) stands for Garmin Map Authentication and this mechanism replaces the unlock files.

To easily create an update USB stick for such a system the following prerequisites should be met:
  1. a compatible Nuvi device with current Map subscription (or its GarminDevice.xml)
  2. GarminExpress installed
  3. Basecamp installed
  4. MapInstall installed
  5. a spare USB (preferably USB 2.0, but not USB 3.0 compatible) of the comparable size to your map data (in Australia it's enough to have just a 1GB stick, but for the US it will be 8GB or more)

Now, launch GarminExpress and select Map updates, but choose to install to your computer instead of the device. This will result in Maps being unpacked and unlocked in Basecamp.

Go to Basecamp and under the Maps menu verify that the map is indeed there and has the "unlocked" status.

Insert your spare USB stick and launch MapInstall. Confirm that you want to install the map to the USB stick.

MapInstall will package the map back into the Garmin\gmapsupp.img on your USB stick, but will also put a GMA file next to the image file (the name of that GMA file looks like a GUID).

Eject the stick, and go to your car. When you insert the stick into your car it will go through the validation procedure (the bigger the map the longer the validation it seems) and once it's done you will be prompted to apply the update.

So far, this was the easiest way for me to keep my map up to date with no downgrades or whatever :)

I know it’s not charger related, but I have a MY14 Journey and was using these directions to go right to the latest maps. The Journey had the "cannot unlock maps" issue. I even updated to CTP17 to see if that would help before finding steps on the journey forums on how to fix it. someone pointed to these steps also.

After hours of trying, I gave up and rolled back the radio to CTP13 and took my Nuvi and copied the maps to a large memory stick and was successful with loading the 2018 maps. (using the gimgunlock) I have not updated back to CTP17 yet, and not 100% sure I need to at this point. I had to follow the second set of directions also as I keep erroring out and had to copy some of the files to the DISABLE folder. It was a very very painful process (took forever), but I do have a working NAV again!

The issues I was seeing with these directions were the following :

Keep trying to load, but would come up saying

"The map update provided is not compatible with your navigation system"

"Current map : None"
"Update map : whatever I had selected"

I tried just the "Maryland" area at one point and it said "Update map : Maryland" I tried selecting everything it and listed out "MONTREAL, QUEBEC,TORONTO, ONTARIO, LONDON,ONTARI"

thanks all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
im trying to figure out what to do to my navi. cant seem to find ctp13 the download file in other site has an error. hope someone in here can share me a link to download. thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try here:

im trying to figure out what to do to my navi. cant seem to find ctp13 the download file in other site has an error. hope someone in here can share me a link to download. thank you
The file can be found on the first page of this Topic:
"HOW TO: Map Update on Uconnect CTP13+ (2013 - 2014)"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't downgrade my Fiat Freemont from CTP 16 6.22 to CTP 13 4.08. I followed the instructions carefully and everything seems to be working fine, but once the progress bar reaches 100% without errors, the screen returns to the DEALER MODE. pressing back the navigator always loads the ctp 16 also by switching off the whole vehicle. I also tried the CTP 13 3.15, same behavior.
can someone help me?

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Let me know if you are still having issues downloading this!

I can send it to you!

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
ok now i finally extracted it with no error, thanks a lot!

does anybody in here has the latest Canada map?
I think the latest is a North American map, so should at least cover USA and Canada!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it’s not charger related, but I have a MY14 Journey and was using these directions to go right to the latest maps. The Journey had the "cannot unlock maps" issue. I even updated to CTP17 to see if that would help before finding steps on the journey forums on how to fix it. someone pointed to these steps also.

After hours of trying, I gave up and rolled back the radio to CTP13 and took my Nuvi and copied the maps to a large memory stick and was successful with loading the 2018 maps. (using the gimgunlock) I have not updated back to CTP17 yet, and not 100% sure I need to at this point. I had to follow the second set of directions also as I keep erroring out and had to copy some of the files to the DISABLE folder. It was a very very painful process (took forever), but I do have a working NAV again!

The issues I was seeing with these directions were the following :

Keep trying to load, but would come up saying

"Current map : None"
"Update map : whatever I had selected"

I tried just the "Maryland" area at one point and it said "Update map : Maryland" I tried selecting everything it and listed out "MONTREAL, QUEBEC,TORONTO, ONTARIO, LONDON,ONTARI"

thanks all!
Can you please give me the files which worked for you?
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
update problems

I got problem while updating maps and my maps were not loading at all. navigation just restarts again and again. So I have to do a factory reset through engineering mode. after factory reset everything works fine. maps are loading and navigation is ok.

but now I cannot update the maps. whenever I try to update I got below error.

"Current map : 1"
"Update map : whatever I try to load"

same error appears even if try to reload existing version of maps which are already running fine on unit.

any clues.

I have charger 2012 with Middle East and North Africa maps. software version is 4.14 ctp12.

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I have charger 2012 with Middle East and North Africa maps. software version is 4.14 ctp12.

How are you loading two different map sets?

Are you trying to load North Africa maps on there?

·
Registered
9 Posts

How are you loading two different map sets?

I am not loading two mapsets. I bought charger in uae so originally have north africa maps on it. Now it is not allowing me to update anything on maps. But north african maps which are already loaded are working fine.
It all happens after the factory reset.

Are you trying to load North Africa maps on there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not trying to load two mapset. I have bought it in UAE so have north african maps loaded on it. I upgraded also many times without a problem but then i have to factory reset the radio. After factory reset now it is not allowing me to update maps. Giving not compatible error. Any clues?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sir, I have Dodge Dart 2014 it was CTP15 i updated it to CTP17 thru Garmin Express put into USB and update in the U connect

Sir is it possible I can downgrade directly from CTP17 to CTP 13 then installed with Middle East and North Africa maps with UAE Map.

Do u have any known source file for Middle East and North Africa maps in Garmin. What Nuvi Device and Version Model NUmber here in UAE.

Hi, I recently acquire Dodge dart import from the US to UAE middle east but I encounter a problem with the Map navigation Showing from the start when you select the Navigation Screen "Can't Unlock Maps" No Detailed Map installed. I tried to install updates from (https://chryslergroup.navigation.com/home/en_US/ChryslerNA/USD)and updated to the latest one CTP17 v 7.09 I would like to inquire of possible I can download directly to CTP13 and install a with the Middle East and North Africa maps. Anyone has a download copy for UAE Map.

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Sir, I have Dodge Dart 2014 it was CTP15 i updated it to CTP17 thru Garmin Express put into USB and update in the U connect

Sir is it possible I can downgrade directly from CTP17 to CTP 13 then installed with Middle East and North Africa maps with UAE Map.

Do u have any known source file for Middle East and North Africa maps in Garmin. What Nuvi Device and Version Model NUmber here in UAE.

Hi, I recently acquire Dodge dart import from the US to UAE middle east but I encounter a problem with the Map navigation Showing from the start when you select the Navigation Screen "Can't Unlock Maps" No Detailed Map installed. I tried to install updates from (https://chryslergroup.navigation.com/home/en_US/ChryslerNA/USD)and updated to the latest one CTP17 v 7.09 I would like to inquire of possible I can download directly to CTP13 and install a with the Middle East and North Africa maps. Anyone has a download copy for UAE Map.

Yes, following the instructions in this thread, you should be able to downgrade your firmware!

The "Can't Unlock Maps" error is usually because the two files listed in the other thread were NOT unlocked before you tried updating the map.

You will want to unlock those files, then try updating the map again!

61 - 80 of 106 Posts