Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have been watching some of the track threads and am seeing 60' times with lots of tire spin I thought I would put this up.This takes alot of practice but will improve your times.

The burnout is key.
On street tires like an RSA's you want to spin them till smoke rolls off and NO waterbox on street tires.Set them about 24 psi if its on an 8.5" rim and 26-28 on a 9" rim.

With DR's I like to keep the pressure as high as possible until the car breaks traction.....in the warmer weather I run my DR's at 28lbs and down as low as 18 in the cold.A burnout just to clean the tire and slightly warm it is all thats required.

Use the converter......don't dumb launch(just mash the gas),especially if your making power.....that breaks parts.Stall the car against the converter(one foot on brake and one on the gas)and bring the rpm's up till the car wants to move.

When the lights come down the tree and you launch just lift off the brake and maintain the pedal position on the throttle.....this will let the car "hop" off the line and get a roll before you apply more throttle(this all happens in a nano second and is where the practice comes in).

Once the car is moving roll into the throttle smoothly and quickly.

Your throttle application will vary depending on track conditions.

Most of the guys you see with crazy 60' times do it like this.Just takes alot of practice so get to the track and have fun.

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
Nice post and great info Erik. :bigthumb:

Just bookmarked this for when I get my car to Cayuga next spring.

Thanks, and beans to you. :beerchug:

(oops, wrong forum...:biggrinjester:)

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Thanks for the post Erik .... great info ... can't wait to try it out .... I've been "dumb launch"-ing this whole time .... :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Does the esp have to be switched OFF? Or left ON?

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
Does the esp have to be switched OFF? Or left ON?
You can't do a burnout with the ESP switched on, so by default it should be off.

Also, you don't want HAL backing off the throttle if wheelspin is imminent.

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Like Erik says, it takes practice. I used to just mash it and thought there was no other way. Then I tried a similar procedure Erik mentioned and it dropped my 60's down quite a bit. Great post Erik.

G

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Thanks Erik

Question tho, I had read the computer doesn't like the engine RPM up against the stall, have you seen any issues with that?

2nd question, how far do you roll into the box, barely trip the set light or roll well past to almost tripping the 2nd light... or does it even matter?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Erik

Question tho, I had read the computer doesn't like the engine RPM up against the stall, have you seen any issues with that?

2nd question, how far do you roll into the box, barely trip the set light or roll well past to almost tripping the 2nd light... or does it even matter?
Yes the PCM is not happy if you hold against the converter too long.....it will start to pull timing.....I didn't mention that because this is "Launching 101" and that would just bring in another aspect to worry about just as the staging you brought up will.Learning to work the throttle is the object here......however......the answer would be to stall up as late as possible to keep the PCM from playing with timing....I won't load the converter till the yellows start coming down.......that means I will have the converter loaded for less than a half second.

As far as staging......I roll in and light the first staging light and try and keep the second blinking.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
have u ever even raced... how do we know if u know what ur talkin about? :D

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
have u ever even raced... how do we know if u know what ur talkin about? :D
Yeah, what does he know ?

I mean, he drives an AWD station wagon ...... :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, what does he know ?

I mean, he drives an AWD station wagon ...... :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
yeah.......the 11 second station wagon wasn't bad either:driving:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Jason you is just soooooo funny:bigthumb:let me know when you want me to show you what that 383 can really do;)
no I dont want u to embarrass me......

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
LMAO!!!!Nah....Those 1.7s you were pulling would be hard to beat without some serious practice in your ride.......and I don't want to hurt it;)
thank u for sparing my half shafts

·
Registered
13,502 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wasn't it a 10-second wagon ? :bowdown:
Yes but the 10.68 wasn't run till after i sold it.......so I can't take credit for the run,......just the build.Unfortunately I never got to the track after I got it together,so the last run i could take credit for was an [email protected] on a 1.65 60'.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
So we're supposed to trust someone that only ran a 11.49

{running like hell, LOL}

1 - 20 of 88 Posts