Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1053 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 17. a dealer that i went to wanted to put me in a charger right away because they wanted me to be the youngest charger owner in the state :whistle: .

I work at the local supermarket making 6.25 an hour, plus money for working odd jobs with my dad.

i have 2 grand saved up for a charger. I hopefully want to get an R/T instead of the SE.

so, how old are you and what do you do for a living?

John

·
Registered
630 Posts
Re: How old are you and how do you afford to pay for ur charger?

808Chargerfan said:
so, how old are you and what do you do for a living?
John,

I am 48, have worked for the same telecommunication company for nearly 30 years. I am currently a lead software engineer and have been one for (wow, has it really been that long?) about 18 years of that 30. I started out right after high school and never felt I needed to change companies, so here I am relatively young and getting close to retirement (so to speak) and feeling like I might be able to venture into some things that I want to do, not what I have to do.

Glad you are a saving up and good luck on the R/T, you'll be the envy (see my avatar) of all the kids in your senior year.

·
Registered
177 Posts

I'm 30, been working at the same place for the last 7 years. Haven't had a car payment for the past 3 years and been saving since last November for new car. And by the looks of the wait I'll have to get mine I'll have enough for a really good down payment.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I'm 25. I was lucky (and unlucky at the same time, I really miss my grandma :( ) enough to have inheritance money to fall back on, so my method was part inheritance, part monthly payment.

I spent the lat 3 years driving a 1981 Firebird Esprit with a 400 in it. Starting to have serious problems, and not the best mileage. I'm glad I have my Charger now.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts

I'm 32 and I've had a couple of jobs since I got out of high school. I served as an officer in the U.S. Navy for about 9 years, and before that, I served in the Marine Corps Reserves for 4+ years. I am now in the Navy Reserves (14+ total years of military service...and counting), and I work as a government contractor for the Navy and Coast Guard. Also, my wife is a 10 year veteran of one of the most noble of professions...teaching. So, together, we were able to scrape together enough for a down payment and monthly payments. It also doesn't hurt that our daughter is out of daycare now and starts school in the fall. :happy:

·
Registered
225 Posts

I'm 34 and a Systems Engineer. I placed an order 3 weeks ago for the Daytona. I currently drive a 2005 Pacifica (not for much longer). I quit smoking almost 2 months ago...now I can afford the Charger!!! :happy:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts

Did 12 years active duty navy, finished out 8 reserves (AO1 to, you, SXT:)) now I'm an engineering tech contracted to NAVAIRSYSCOM. Wifes been civil service since she was 18. I'll be selling the Stage 3 SRT-4 and putting the extra over the existing loan as a down payment.

Just remember NEVER TRADE!!! ALWAYS SELL!!!!!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts

I'm 56, my '98 Durango was paid off 2 years ago, and I've still been making payment to myself, in a savings account.
I ordered my Daytona on 6-22, and got it for $1000 over invoice.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I'm 23 and an Accountant at a Public Accounting Firm. Those payments are enough for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I'm 38. Spent 13 years AF. Currently working as a network engineer in the DC area for an 8a. (looking to move to the Patrick AFB/Melbourne FL area, so if anybody knows anybody there who needs an IT guy....)
Paid off the 96 Ram 1500 some time ago. I needed something new. The wife is still on active duty, we live on base, no rent!

·
Registered
143 Posts

35. Software developer. Been at current job for a little over 5 years. Been writing software since middle school. The Charger is only my third car. My previous one was a Ford Taurus that I had for 12 years. It was paid off about 9 years ago. Been married for 10 years. Paid for the Charger with an equity line. At least I can deduct the interest on it.

I have to correct people when they say getting a sports or muscle car at this age is a mid-life crisis kind of thing. Its only now in my mid-life that I can afford such a thing. I've waited 12 years to get a car with some horse power.

·
Registered
315 Posts

i ma 25 and i payed invoice for it

·
Registered
231 Posts

Im 25, and commission in the AF Dec 21. Good old Bank Of America will give me a pre-commissioning loan.... 60 months @ 4.75% and 6 months defered payments.

Not too bad.... plus I make good money at Best Buy as a Tech (geek now). What is funny is that the target age is in the 30's... oh well.

edward

·
Registered
2,732 Posts

27, been in Arizona for 3 years... been with my employer for the last 2 years.
I had a 1999 Dodge Ram that got ripped off 2 years ago, got confermation fro the Phoenix PD that my truck was found in mexico and beat to hell... insurance offered me a settle ment and I took it... (the truck was paid off )

I took that check along with other funds and bought my Z71 Avalanche for $11000 below sticker. Paid cash, so no car payments last 2 years...

My Avalanche is one that must have been built on a monday.... and when I lifted it, fuel here was about a buck a gallon... so getting 12mpg on the highway.... I will be saving alot of fuel by going to the Charger...

With what I can sell my Avalanche for... it will leave me with a loan in the amount of about 10-11 grand on the charger, over 5 years I am looking at $200 payments, which I can easily double pay......

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

I'm 51 and have been working Nuclear Medicine/Radiology since 1991. I travel to staff hospitals and clinics that are short staff personnel. Great job and they pay for getting the temporary replacement person......me. Heck, they're paying for the Charger in auto allowance alone.

·
Registered
61 Posts

im 23 and im a promotor for concerts and events. we just did a concert with nelly on saturdayand he was a nice guy very cool hes kinda short.

·
Registered
175 Posts

My Age? I bought a 1966 426 Hemi Charger new, big payments. Sold it in 1970 and bought a new 426 Hemi Charger R/T Special Addition, payments not too bad. Sold it in 1975. Then in this order, 1 wife, 2 boys and 2 college payments. Results; 1 great wife, 1 Architect, 1 Lawyer, no payments. Now it's time to get back to the Hemi. I have a deposit down on a Black Charger SRT-8 at MSRP, paying cash. While I wait I play with my project car. <www.hotrod.com/techarticles/31381> They say; "Once a performance car nut, always a performance car nut". Occupation, Electrician.

·
Registered
245 Posts

42 years old and in construction management. It also took me this long to afford a car like this after kids and a mortgage. How does a 17 yo afford the payments on a 36,000 dollar car? Wish I could have when I was 17.

·
Registered
153 Posts

I'm 28, and work as a software developer.

When I was 17 I also worked at a grocery store, and made something comparable to what you're making now... Let's just say that with that income and only $2,000 to put down, I could *never* get myself into even a Charger SE, much less an R/T. You'd be financing almost the whole car, and probably have to do it over 5 or 6 years... That's some serious debt to be going into. I mean hey, it's your money, and if they'll give you financing they obviously think you'll pay it back, but with the payments you'll be making, I'm not sure you'll be able to put gas in it!

Just be careful, it's a big decision.. That's all I'm saying.

1 - 20 of 1053 Posts