Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to the site so this is my first post. I had a quick question. I just bought a '06 RT a few days back. When I took it to get looked at before I bought it, they said that everything is fine but said that it could use some new transmission fluid soon since the color of the fluid was getting a little dark. From what I understand, you can either top of the fluid and change the filters or get it fully flushed? This is a topic I am not to familiar with so I though I would ask for some advice. I am little skeptical to do anything with the transmission fluid because I have heard in the past that people have gotten a transmission flush or even topped of their transmission fluid and then started having issues after. Does anybody have any suggestions? I it something that I should do quite soon? My car is at about 66K miles but I am not sure if it has ever been done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Do a standard transmission service. They will drain the fluid, clean the pan, replace the filter and refill with fresh fluid. At 66k miles, you will be fine.

Never do a power flush since it can dislodge debris that has settled in the system and lead to larger issues.

·
Vendor
10,382 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to the site so this is my first post. I had a quick question. I just bought a '06 RT a few days back. When I took it to get looked at before I bought it, they said that everything is fine but said that it could use some new transmission fluid soon since the color of the fluid was getting a little dark. From what I understand, you can either top of the fluid and change the filters or get it fully flushed? This is a topic I am not to familiar with so I though I would ask for some advice. I am little skeptical to do anything with the transmission fluid because I have heard in the past that people have gotten a transmission flush or even topped of their transmission fluid and then started having issues after. Does anybody have any suggestions? I it something that I should do quite soon? My car is at about 66K miles but I am not sure if it has ever been done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Like Ddaddy said do a pan drain and filll NOT a flush on your car.

Use QuantumBlue ATF+4++IIA fluid that we manufacture and get a QuantumBlue Ultra HP Transmission Filter and Gasket for $111.60 and get the filter and gasket kit for free!

Takes much better care of the car than off the shelf or OEM fluids.

18% more friction modifiers in the fluid for better engagement and longevity of your NAG1/W5A580.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Very good question. A little bit of googling will result in some convincing arguments for all sides of doing nothing, drain, or flush. I would recommend flipping a coin. Heads do nothing. Tails flip again to decide between drain or flush.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Skip Google, incomplete subjective information on a technical decision.

If the fluid is visibly darkened, the equation changes. You need to change it.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Skip Google, incomplete subjective information on a technical decision.

If the fluid is visibly darkened, the equation changes. You need to change it.
Googling simply brings back more opinions by people of all different levels of technical expertise. Some of them think that even just changing the fluid
"can dislodge debris that has settled in the system and lead to larger issues."

Who knows who is right? Not me.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Googling simply brings back more opinions by people of all different levels of technical expertise. Some of them think that even just changing the fluid
"can dislodge debris that has settled in the system and lead to larger issues."

Who knows who is right? Not me.
I get that, but Google is a biased subset of opinions that can't possibly represent sound technical advice. The 'vocal few' don't make a scientific consensus.

The manufacturer that actually developed these things recommended the change intervals based on extensive testing.

I think that carries far more substantial weight.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Do all manufacturers offer the same advice on flush vs change? If not, who is right?

The other important question is when you pass the manufacturer's recommended change mileage by a lot, what is then the best thing to do? In my case I never had the fluid changed and am at 140k. Should I bother messing with it now? I don't think my owner's manual addresses that.

·
Vendor
10,382 Posts
Do all manufacturers offer the same advice on flush vs change? If not, who is right?

The other important question is when you pass the manufacturer's recommended change mileage by a lot, what is then the best thing to do? In my case I never had the fluid changed and am at 140k. Should I bother messing with it now? I don't think my owner's manual addresses that.
Here's the thing to understand about your transmission. It is a torque modified unit that depends on the amount of friction modifiers in the fluid. Over time, you cook those modifiers out and drop them in the pan/filter. The transmission will continue to adjust with adaptive strategy until one day you have cooked the transmission. The rational for changing it is that refreshing the modifiers in the fluid is like putting the grit back on the sand paper. The clutches will grab better and not burn up the surface of the discs.

At 140k miles, I would definitely change the fluid in the pan drain and fill. For transmissions that have gone that long, I put in specific modifiers and 18% more friction modifiers than normal to keep the unit running correctly.

There is a correct factual answer.....change it and with QB for the best results.:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with Brian. I put his BND fluid in my 2006 R/T with the W5A580 and you could feel the transmission grab better. It had more pull and the sloppy shifts really cleaned up. The transitions between gears were quicker and clean. I say sloppy only because the 5 speed is not quick shifting, has dead spots (factory set) unlike like the new 8 speed. But with the addition of Brians fluid and being a proven transmission in my book is a winning combination.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.