Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Charger has 360,000km (224,000miles) and its time to let it go I think. Its been a good car. My question is how much can I ask for it. Im not going to put any money into it to put a safety on it. So it might end up going to a scrap yard. How much are they going for in a scrap yard?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
the mileage is just a number....why would you get rid of it just for that

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Just keep it. If you drive a lot, then continue using the older charger as a daily when you get a new one.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
You'll get whatever the going rate is for scrap metal...which won't be much.

As far as value, more details are needed... Trim level, mileage, etc.

If you're just looking to scrap it, you'd be better off either keeping it to keep the miles off your new one or keeping it till it sold. I believe scrapping it will be a huge and unnecessary loss.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
mileage is just a number....what kind of condition is the body, interior, suspension, brakes, etc? a car with 200,000 miles of smooth interstate driving probably has less wear and tear on it than a car of similar vintage that has 40,000 miles of short trips on pothole filled roads where it never got up to full operating temperature

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
If the car is in good running condition, it will generally always be worth at least a few thousand dollars.

Scrap value is typically less than $200, and usually not even that much.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a BMW 740iL with 240,000km for a second vehicle. The Charger not dependable anymore. 2 tow trucks in 1 month. Its an SXT with 360,000km and its been a great car. Up until now never let me down. Just the usual brakes and front end parts.
Last month it was the alternator and last week it was the starter. I need a dependable car. And I don't want to grow to hate the Charger with repairs every 2 months. Ontario salted roads are taking their toll as well. I think if I got $1000 out of it I would be happy. Ya I think I will keep insurance on it for a bit longer and advertise it for sale.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Its an SXT with 360,000km and its been a great car. Up until now never let me down. Just the usual brakes and front end parts.
That's incredible. Didn't think the 3.5L would last that long as my SXT hasn't been dependable with 1/5 of that mileage. It's an 06 with the 5 speed?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes the 3.5 with the NAG 5 gear Auto
3 sets of plugs and oil change every 10,000 km
No engine parts whatsoever. No sensors, no timing belt, no accessory drive belt. Nothing!
Just usual brakes and front end parts.
I put a battery into it a few years ago just to know I had a new one in it.
Best car I have ever owned.
Mixture of city and hiway. I live 3km from town and I am there more times in a day then I care to admit. Lots of stop and go and cold starts.
Did I baby it. No
Did I maintain it. No
That why I want to part with it now. While I still have good thoughts of it.
And I think that the car is on the verge of tipping the scales of reliable transport now.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Yes the 3.5 with the NAG 5 gear Auto
3 sets of plugs and oil change every 10,000 km
No engine parts whatsoever. No sensors, no timing belt, no accessory drive belt. Nothing!
Just usual brakes and front end parts.
I put a battery into it a few years ago just to know I had a new one in it.
Best car I have ever owned.
Mixture of city and hiway. I live 3km from town and I am there more times in a day then I care to admit. Lots of stop and go and cold starts.
Did I baby it. No
Did I maintain it. No
That why I want to part with it now. While I still have good thoughts of it.
And I think that the car is on the verge of tipping the scales of reliable transport now.
Then sell it while it is good working condition and grab a few thousand dollars. KBB says it's worth $4-5k for private sale. Put it up at $3995 OBO and take the best offer and run.

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Not sure if OP is trolling.

Who the hell scraps a perfectly running car?

Scrap dealer will give you $50-$100 for it if they pick it up.

But why???

Drive it or sell it.

This thread has me confused.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know what "Trolling" is but I will say a few things
I did not say it is a perfect running car.
Quite the opposite. I did say 360,000km. I did say I would not put money in it to safety it.Which means it wont pass a safety
I did say that I did not maintain it.
Damage to the front where I hit a log last winter testing the Stability Control.
The whole car has degraded from new and will not handle the way it did. So I ditched it.
Again I am not spending the money to bring the brake system/stability system up to new
The car needs a transmission line I believe because it has a leak and needs topped up now and again. Coming from Ontario Im sure you know what an 8 year old car with 360k can look like from the bottom
At least 2 front wheel bearings are noisy up front and the rear park cable and brakes are seized.
I have next to nothing in this car and im not starting to put money in it now. Time to let it go
I worked in a scrap yard for 7 years and I know that just like any business it is a supply and demand. If there is a demand then they will pay more for the product.
I thought someone here may have had an up to date knowledge of what a price would be.
After hearing some comments here I think I will put it up for sale and put a price on it with OBO. But.... its a car I will not hand down to my kids or recommend to my family members.
So I would not hide the fact from anybody that the reason im getting rid of it is that it is close to the end
Just an as is special that a person may get 50,000km out of or end up with repair after repair.
Now I am interested in this troll thing and what they do:scratchhead:

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Quite the opposite. I did say 360,000km.
Yes, you did. But just saying that a car has high mileage and you've had to put in a new starter and alternator recently doesn't equate to selling the car for scrap; that is extreme IMHO.

Usually people scrap a car when it's not running and not reparable.

So yeah, just saying a car has high mileage so you're going to scrap it seems a bit strange.

And I had a Honda Civic way back in the day that had 360k+ km on it and it still ran.

Even with the list of problems you just posted, but didn't previously mention, I would think it's still worth something to someone. I mean you've been driving it up until now, right???

But go ahead and scrap it if you like. Don't spend the entire fortune of about $100 max all in one place.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I don't know what "Trolling" is but I will say a few things
Quite the opposite. I did say 360,000km. I did say I would not put money in it to safety it.Which means it wont pass a safety
I did say that I did not maintain it.
Damage to the front where I hit a log last winter testing the Stability Control.
The whole car has degraded from new and will not handle the way it did. So I ditched it.
Again I am not spending the money to bring the brake system/stability system up to new
The car needs a transmission line I believe because it has a leak and needs topped up now and again. Coming from Ontario Im sure you know what an 8 year old car with 360k can look like from the bottom
At least 2 front wheel bearings are noisy up front and the rear park cable and brakes are seized.
I have next to nothing in this car and im not starting to put money in it now. Time to let it go
I worked in a scrap yard for 7 years and I know that just like any business it is a supply and demand. If there is a demand then they will pay more for the product.
I thought someone here may have had an up to date knowledge of what a price would be.
After hearing some comments here I think I will put it up for sale and put a price on it with OBO. But.... its a car I will not hand down to my kids or recommend to my family members.
So I would not hide the fact from anybody that the reason im getting rid of it is that it is close to the end
Just an as is special that a person may get 50,000km out of or end up with repair after repair.
Now I am interested in this troll thing and what they do:scratchhead:
C'mon OP...surely you didnt expect us to assume all this?

Anyways, no idea what a scrap yard will pay you for it..pics would help though..
Have you tried to see what a dealership will offer you for it as trade in?

Trust you know what's the best thing to do..!

:beerchug:

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
C'mon OP...surely you didnt expect us to assume all this?
Hence the trolling.

brb starting a thread and purposely providing zero information so I can argue with everyone that responds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Charger has 360,000km (224,000miles) and its time to let it go I think. Its been a good car. My question is how much can I ask for it. Im not going to put any money into it to put a safety on it. So it might end up going to a scrap yard. How much are they going for in a scrap yard?
You might be able to get $400 at a scrapyard, and most likely $200-250. However if you were to trade it in, I bet you could get $800-1000 trading it in for scrap. I've always got something in that price range for scrap...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Don't sell it for scrap...it deserves better than that.

Mine has a blown engine and I'm asking 5K for it. An Auto Salvage Yard offered me $2,000...but I think selling to someone looking for a project will bring more money.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Why don't you spend just a little time on it before you bury The Charger. A nice clean car will always take in more money even though it's shot to S#!T. Ever notice how good a dead person in a funeral parlor looks before the're put into the ground, well?? Maybe it's the wrong choice of words, but you get the idea..

Big John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts