Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on average how much do you think it saves you? If its a sizable amount I might start tryin to be a manly man and do my own....maybe.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I buy my own oil and filter (Mobil 1) and then take it to the dealer and pay them $11 to do it. Worth the money to me not to have to jack the car up and crawl under there, plus it gives me a record from the dealer for maintenance. I change the oil on all my other vehicles myself. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
It cost like 130$ for a mobil 1 oil change at the ONLY dodge dealer fir 50 miles. It cost like 60-70$ to do it myself with mobil 1. I'm going with QB next time tho so it's gonna be back to 120ish(I think) myself and 140 dealer. Tge dealer jacks up the cust of tge oil to liks 13$ a qt

·
Registered
183 Posts
No matter how u do it stay a mile away from fram filters those things are just junk. They have next to no filter media and carddboard end caps. Chance's are its on bypass before you are up for your next oil change. Worst filters in the market imo. Anyone using cheap oil and fram filters should be ashamed of themselves.If you do do it yourself make dam sure you have that oil plug and filter on correct or hope u have 10k laying around for a new motor. For these type of cars syn mobile 1 with a K/N filter would be min i would do. These motors are insane expensive to replace. Some guys use amsoil and royal purple good oil but its not worth the extra money imo.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I catch my Mobil 1 oil + Mobil filter at AutoZone when they run their "buy 5 quarts and get a filter free" deal. Cuz the SRT8 engine needs 7 quarts, I get 3 packages and end up 2 changes along with 1 extra quart and an extra filter. Then I take it to a local quickie lube who charges me $20 to do it. No muss, no fuss.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
It's pretty hard to screw up an oil change(IMHO) drain nutt: 1/4 turn past tight and filter 1/2 turn past snug.

The dealer managed to make my oil drain nut so dam tight I flowered a rachet head open...WTF it wasent a cheapy piece either it was out of a 200 pc 150$ set(not expensive but not a 5$ 50pc set) one and the manager at kragen was like WTF they tighten it with an impact wrench.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I buy my own stuff and the lube place charges my $15 to change it. Thats worth it to me so I dont have to deal with it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I buy my own stuff and do it myself. As the oil is draining it gives me time to clean the plastic under the car, take the wheels off and clean then along with the wheel wells. I like lettting the oil drain extra long. If you have ever done it yourself you would see that the oil seems to drip forever. The guys at the lube place, drain and fill as fast as they can.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I let Christian Brothers put my oil in for me (and they shook it up real good, too). I figure that $14 to put the QB oil in that I won't have to change for 9 - 10K miles is like paying $4.66 per change in advance for three oil changes. Not bad. That's less than a Subway footlong sandwich. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I catch my Mobil 1 oil + Mobil filter at AutoZone when they run their "buy 5 quarts and get a filter free" deal. Cuz the SRT8 engine needs 7 quarts, I get 3 packages and end up 2 changes along with 1 extra quart and an extra filter. Then I take it to a local quickie lube who charges me $20 to do it. No muss, no fuss.

Amen. Watch for those specials, really good deal. I change my own too, this is the first car I have ever done that on and it's about as easy a car to change the oil on as you will come across. Getting the oil and filter cheap doesn't have me feeling bad about my short(3-4k miles) change intervals for Mobil1. I read on another forum about Royal Purple staining the inside of an engine, don't know if that's a big deal or not but no one ever has problems with Mobil1 so I may as well keep using it.

Eric

·
Vendor
10,370 Posts
Amen. Watch for those specials, really good deal. I change my own too, this is the first car I have ever done that on and it's about as easy a car to change the oil on as you will come across. Getting the oil and filter cheap doesn't have me feeling bad about my short(3-4k miles) change intervals for Mobil1. I read on another forum about Royal Purple staining the inside of an engine, don't know if that's a big deal or not but no one ever has problems with Mobil1 so I may as well keep using it.

Eric
Eric,

Don't forget to come visit me at the LX and Beyond Nationals if you are still coming!

Thanks
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040

With our oils, Mopar, Purolator, Xtra Wear Gard Fram (not regular fram), Hastings, Wix, NAPA all are good filters to use with our oils.

B.:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
My time is worth more than the $20 Jiffy Lube charges to swap my QB in. They also clean out the catch can and dispose of everything. Not that I even need a catch can anymore. It's been bone dry since I switced to QB and ACES.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Local Jiffy Lube wanted $95 to change my oil and filter with Mobil 1. They also cross threaded the drain plug on my wife's mini-van. I do it myself for the cost of oil, only takes about 20 minutes. I never heard of a dealer or garage that would do it with my supplied oil and filter.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My local Chrysler dealer changed mine with my own oil before I switch to QB. Jiffy Lube, and Christian Brothers let you bring your own oil. Most places I've talked with just charge you for the labor - no problem. Oh, and I always talk to the people at these places to see if they really know anything about cars before they get to touch RumBee. Those that really don't are like to cross-thread the drain plug. Sorry to hear that happened...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Eric,

Don't forget to come visit me at the LX and Beyond Nationals if you are still coming!

Thanks
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040

With our oils, Mopar, Purolator, Xtra Wear Gard Fram (not regular fram), Hastings, Wix, NAPA all are good filters to use with our oils.

B.:beerchug:

Brian,
Sadly I am not going to the LX Nationals anymore. I will catch up with you another time hopefully...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I really don't trust anyone else to change my oil. It's simple but a little time consuming. I will get the Mobil 1 from Autozone on sale too. $30 for 5 quarts and a filter. I don't mind changing the oil, plus the peace of mind that it will be done right. I can't see paying $100 or more for something that I can do for $40 or $50 in 30 mins or less.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I really don't trust anyone else to change my oil. It's simple but a little time consuming. I will get the Mobil 1 from Autozone on sale too. $30 for 5 quarts and a filter. I don't mind changing the oil, plus the peace of mind that it will be done right. I can't see paying $100 or more for something that I can do for $40 or $50 in 30 mins or less.
Amen my Silver Brother.... At least you know its done right.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Doing your own oil changes will save you a ton of money

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
on average how much do you think it saves you? If its a sizable amount I might start tryin to be a manly man and do my own....maybe.
Dude, chicks (or petite guys) don't like dirty oily fingernails. Just buy your oil at a discount at wal-mart or pep-boys, and take it to the dealer. Mine will change the oil and throw in the filter for $18. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I do my own oil changes, I am a mechanic, been turning wrenches for over 30 years. I use Royal Purple, and Napa Gold Oil filter. Ive been using Purple for awhile now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts