Charger Forums banner

I know a sunroof equipped Charger with a buckling roof

How many sunroof cars have roof buckling issues? Poll.

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  devolhortan 
#1 ·
Ground rules.

1. You must personally know the car/owner, not just through forums. This eliminates duplicate data points.

2. Please dont go by heresay. If a buddy told you "All them sunroof cars have that", thats not a valid data point.

3. I will be posting a duplicate poll on LXforums, please do not vote there if you vote here, again, we want to avoid duplicate data points.

This pic shows whats apparently an extreme case, but shows the point of interest. There was specualtion inb that other thread that perhaps there waws a design change at some point in 07 that either excaberated, or intitiated this situation, that was quickly remedied. That is speculation right now, barring someone who has real data.

My guess? Someone somewhere decided to reduce the bracing in the roof for sunroof cars, or it was just not put in some cars through a mistake. When discovered, it was decided it would be easier to just pay/blow off individual claims as they were made than find and fix them all.

What I would love to see is pics of the insides a few roofs, along with the roof of this car, and a comparison done.

See less See more
#2 ·
As of July 2017, there have been reports of roof buckling issues in at least 27 sunroof cars. The most recent report was filed on June 30, 2017, involving a 2016 Tesla Model S. It is unclear how many of these cases were caused by design or manufacturing defects, and how many were due to misuse or improper maintenance.

The Tesla Model S has been the most reported case of roof buckling likewise can am x3 roof, with at least 13 cases. Other models that have been affected include the BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, and Porsche Panamera. The majority of these reports have come from the United States, but there have also been cases reported in Canada, China, and Europe.

The cause of roof buckling can typically be attributed to one of three things: improper installation, manufacturing defects, or misuse. Improper installation is the most common cause and can occur when the sunroof is not installed properly or when the wrong size sunroof is installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.