Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and girls) how many times have you shot nitrous into your motors? Also what type of HP shot did you use? Have any of you seen any side affects from using nitrous?

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
I will NEVER run nitrous through ANY of my engines. Reguardless of what ppl who have a set up say, it IS rough on your engine!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I will NEVER run nitrous through ANY of my engines. Reguardless of what ppl who have a set up say, it IS rough on your engine!
Yeah, so is a blower, or a turbo, or to a lesser degree heads and cam. Anytime you increase HP you are increasing the stress on the engine parts. Nitrous is as safe for your engine as anything else that will drastically increase HP (when properly used, and carefully monitored). I sprayed my '95 Camaro hundreds of times with no ill effects untill I tried pushing the HP levels beyond what I knew the stock pistons would likely handle. End result was a burned/cracked piston, pieces of the top two rings beating up the chamber, and a cracked cylinder wall. You play you pay, regardless how you wanna do it:) The main problem (if you can call it "a problem") with nitrous is that it's SOOOO EASY to get more power, you start getting greedy, and then....KABOOM!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I know that the safest is to use a "wet" shot and I've heard 100HP to 150HP safely but while under warranty, that is a quick way to make the dealer forget all about any warranty. I wouldn't do it but it is your money and your car.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know that the safest is to use a "wet" shot and I've heard 100HP to 150HP safely but while under warranty, that is a quick way to make the dealer forget all about any warranty. I wouldn't do it but it is your money and your car.
Yea all the dealer has to do is look at the exhaust for white residue, then bye bye warranty, might as well bought used

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
From what I hear 100 shot is limit unless you do internal work, IE piston, crank and rods. The piston tops are VERY VERY thin by the top ring and doesn`t take much to burn them up.

So NO Nitrous is not that safe for our cars.

Scott

·
Registered
293 Posts
I bet you could squeez 75 out with nitrous all day long. Once you start getting up over 100 you will have problems regarded timing and as well it will squish the 1st ring

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I kinda already figured that a 100 shot would probably be the best to run and I already know that it stresses out your engine more. I am not new to the Nitrous scene, I have installed my own nitrous kit on Honda's but never an american car I know that 4 cyl Hondas can take about a 50-75 stock so I already assumed that the V8's could handle a bit more. What I wanted to know is how many times people have shot nitrous into there engines, or how many bottles they have gone threw, if they have noted any differences good or most likely bad.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Have run many bottles with a 100 shot...No problems at all!

·
Registered
928 Posts
it takes 23 squeezes. no more. no less.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
75-100 shot and you might be pushing it. I prefer to run a supercharger as it is, for me a more controlled forced induction.
Uh oh I see the potential in this response to lead off the subject here. Ok here we go, it dosen't matter what you do to a car once you turbo, supercharge, or add nitrous it will obviously decrease the life/work the engine harder. The benefit of having the nitrous compared to the others is that you can choose when to use it and how much of it you want to spray. Supercharges are on practically the entire time, where as turboing will only start boost at a certain RPM so its not on as much as the supercharger is.

·
Registered
928 Posts
oh sorry, my bad, it only takes 1 REALLY BIG squeeze. =D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Gone through about 15 bottles and no problems. It is actually safer then a turbo or a blower when used with caution.
Dont just slap on the N20 kit and go, you got to change to colder plugs and use higher octane fuel and many other things to ensure engine safety.. People are blowing up the Hemi's b/c of turbo's or supercharger's improperly tuned and so on and I havent heard of anyone hurting anything with N20 on the LX's

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hey and take a look at this thread where you will actually find info from knowledgable people that are experienced with Nitrous.. http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=40535

Most of the people that post in thread's like this one make sarcastic comments b/c they dont know much about it. They think Nitrous is still as dangerous for your motor as it was back the 1980's when everyone was running dry kit's..:dead:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gone through about 15 bottles and no problems. It is actually safer then a turbo or a blower when used with caution.
Dont just slap on the N20 kit and go, you got to change to colder plugs and use higher octane fuel and many other things to ensure engine safety.. People are blowing up the Hemi's b/c of turbo's or supercharger's improperly tuned and so on and I havent heard of anyone hurting anything with N20 on the LX's
Wow 15 bottles, thats pretty good. Yeah colder spark plugs and higher octane are essential when running NOS also making sure your running the correct amount of fuel pressure and timing. If I decide to run NOS I would be using it very sparingly and probably be putting some money on it so I could save up for any problems that may occur in the future. Aren't the rings the first thing that goes out when properly using nitrous?

Thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts