Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time deciding if i should tinit the car, I know it looks good but im one of those guys that leaves everything stock, Are all you guys tiniting your chargers, does it really make it look much better? Give me some feedback.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am tinting mine for three reasons.

1. It'll look great on the Daytona with the black out graphics.
  2. Since my garage is stuffed with kids crap, it will have to sit in the environment so any form of protection from the sun is a plus.
  3. Had I known that tinting was such a "cheap" mod, I would have tinted all my previous cars I've had.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm going to tint my Daytona when I get it.
I'll have them use 80% light reduction all around.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There was another thread on this subject a while back but here's my $.02 again...... I tinted my SXT within a week of purchase because: 1) The Florida sun can take interior temperatures of a black/dark gray interior sky high even in January. 2) It reduces glare off the rear window substantially in early morning and late afternoon hours 3) The dark gray (as low as FL law allows) makes my bright silver SXT look even more badass :cool:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I am in North Carolina and the sun is hot. That is the first reason I did it. Before you do yours if you do, I would tell you to do research on your states law about window tint. Being in a military town you see vehicles with all differant kinds of tint but that is because they are registered in differant states. I found that mirror tint is leagal in NC but it can not be more than 25% light reflective or less than 35% light passive. So I did a 20% mirror with a 35% tint. It looks great and I get a lot of comments on it. This is the first mod I did on my R/T and it only cost me $200.00. Also for everyone that does this make sure the person doing your tint does not get the heat gun too close to the rear window molding ( the small triangular piece on the rear window toward the back) it will melt and leave heat bubbles. My guy did not know this and now he has to replace them @ $179.00 for parts and labor. So he only made $21.00 on my tint job.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I will be tinting mine first thing, I think the black R/T with dark tint looks great...

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I tinted my black SXT and it looks great! :cool: It really helps cut down on glare, too. The only problem that I have is that now my AM signal sucks! I know, not too many people listen to AM, but that is the only place where ESPN Radio is available (I'm a sports nut and I gotta have my daily dose of Mike & Mike In The Morning on the way to work and Dan Patrick on the way home :embarrese ). I would have liked to get darker tint, but VA laws limit tint to 50% front/35% rear. :sad:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
ChargerSXT said:
I tinted my black SXT and it looks great! :cool: It really helps cut down on glare, too. The only problem that I have is that now my AM signal sucks! I know, not too many people listen to AM, but that is the only place where ESPN Radio is available (I'm a sports nut and I gotta have my daily dose of Mike & Mike In The Morning on the way to work and Dan Patrick on the way home :embarrese ). I would have liked to get darker tint, but VA laws limit tint to 50% front/35% rear. :sad:
Should have got the satalite radio.

As for the tint interfearing with your AM signal. I don't see how the tint would do that being the tint is put on the inside of the window and the built in antenna is inside the glass. I don't seem to have that problem all AM and FM signal has the same strength as before the tint. I even use a FM transmitter for my iPod and and the signal is still good.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I'm seriously considering satellite radio...

As for why the signal is affected, I can't explain it. I would never have imagined that the tint would interfere, but it has. Before I had my windows tinted, I could pick up AM perfectly anywhere around Hampton Roads (except for in some of the tunnels). Now, I get static all the time in my signal, and nothing but static in certain areas (such as at my house and within 5 miles of where I work).

Also, before tinting, I could pick up an FM station that my wife likes in a city over 300 miles away. Now, I can't get it at all.

It is definitely perplexing... :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would tint mine but the local PD (Glendale Ca) doesnt like it from what I hear. IF they pull you over your will be asked to take off the tint. I'm pretty sure I can have the back windows tinted but I think it looks kind of wierd not to have both front and back done.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
johnrx,

Check your local/state laws. If they say you can tint your windows up to a certain amount, I don't see how you can be forced to remove tint if you are within legal limits. Maybe some of our law enforcement friends on the forum can clarify.

I could have gotten my windows tinted darker than the legal limit, but I didn't want the hassle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dealer paid for my tint. Got 50% on the 2 front side windows and 20% on the back 3 windows. I think they tinted the sunroof too but I'm not sure cuz I did not see it before the tint job. Anyways, its practical and looks great too.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
I already tinted mine :D

Before hand, I checked the state laws from various sources and should have no problem in CA :rockon:

:cool:

·
Registered
831 Posts
i have 20% all around. if you think you might get stopped just roll your front windows down when you see cops. :wink:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've never tinted a new car that I've owned, but this time round it'll be the first thing I do when I finally pick up my Charger

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Tinted mine...dealer paid for it...a couple days after purchase beginning of June. 20% sides and rear glass. 5 inch (approx) 20% strip across upper front windshield. Looks good and allows the car to cool down quickly with a/c.

·
Registered
604 Posts
38 all around going on monday... Was going to do 28 until a coworker told me about his son getting pulled over all the time for it...

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I am tinting mine for one main reason

116 degrees here today...

enough said... :)

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Last time I checked (a couple years ago) CA law allowed you to tint any windows behind the driver (rear passengers and rear window) but not anything even with or forward of the driver (front seat and windshield).

I've tinted the back and rear side windows of my last 2 cars (and my wife's car) so our kids don't get too much sun on long trips. Most of the tint places I visited knew how dark CA law allows (that's what I chose) but they were willing to go as dark as you wanted to pay.

I just tried reading the CA vehicle code regarding window tints (CVC 26708) and now my brain hurts.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts