Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be a religious debate... some people say wait until you get at least 10k on the car and others say do it right away.

Anyone have a good reason for either?

·
Registered
157 Posts
This seems to be a religious debate... some people say wait until you get at least 10k on the car and others say do it right away.

Anyone have a good reason for either?
Doesn't it come with synthetic from the factory?

I used mobile1 from the start, now using royal purple.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I would change it over on your first oil change. I did mine at 2000 miles. There's no technical reason to wait if you want to do it sooner.

Best,

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I changed to synthetic at 2800 miles. No problems (knocks on wood)

·
Registered
686 Posts
only the SRT's come filled with Mobil 1 from the factory

·
Registered
182 Posts
did mine on third oil change. that was the recommendation from the dealer and hey I was gonna pay them to do it and they are the ones that said to wait until motor has broken in fully. They recommended third oil change so thats what I did.

·
Registered
360 Posts
did mine on third oil change. that was the recommendation from the dealer and hey I was gonna pay them to do it and they are the ones that said to wait until motor has broken in fully. They recommended third oil change so thats what I did.
How many miles did you have on your Charger by the third oil change?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'll be changing my oil to RP as soon as I hit 12k miles, still have a while though, only at 10,080 miles right now.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
I always read and heard that switching to full synthetic should be done once the engine is considered fully broken in, as the full synthetic might be too slippery and not let the engine break-in properly (??).

So, on mine, I plan to switching to full synthetic at 7-10k miles ... by then I should be comfortably broken in ...

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I change mine at 3000 miles. Now have 19000 miles showing. using RP with no problems

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Did mine a shade over 2K.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I always read and heard that switching to full synthetic should be done once the engine is considered fully broken in, as the full synthetic might be too slippery and not let the engine break-in properly (??).

So, on mine, I plan to switching to full synthetic at 7-10k miles ... by then I should be comfortably broken in ...
That is a myth. A number of cars come from the factory with synth now. I'm sure if it was bad, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi wouldn't be making it the factory fill in their top of the line hotrods. As someone else mentioned, it's factory fill for the SRT8 and I believe it's also factory fill for the 'vette these days. The engine will break in just fine on synth.

Best,

·
Registered
191 Posts
I wouldn't say it is a myth. Ford issued a TSB in the '80's or early '90's that recommended against changing to sythetic until 4000 miles, due to it causing problems with breaking in the rings properly. Supposedly leading to the engine being an oil-user.

I know some production cars now come with synthetic from the factory, my guess is that some allowance has been made in production that allows them to do it.

I changed to Mobil I in my 5.2 Magnum 2wd Dakota at an early mileage, and it was a perpetual oil user. Could be a coincidence, it wasn't bad enough to track down the oil use.

Your results may vary.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've switched to Mobile 1 at 2,000 miles on my last 3 new cars. (Including my current Charger) No issues on any of them. Zero oil usage between oil changes on any of them.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I wouldn't say it is a myth. Ford issued a TSB in the '80's or early '90's that recommended against changing to sythetic until 4000 miles, due to it causing problems with breaking in the rings properly. Supposedly leading to the engine being an oil-user.

I know some production cars now come with synthetic from the factory, my guess is that some allowance has been made in production that allows them to do it.

I changed to Mobil I in my 5.2 Magnum 2wd Dakota at an early mileage, and it was a perpetual oil user. Could be a coincidence, it wasn't bad enough to track down the oil use.

Your results may vary.
I see. So we should follow a 20 year old TSB from Ford. I've switched every new car I've ever owned to synth within 2000 miles (or immediately in the case of an old Saturn SC2 and those were notorious oil burners). I have never ever had an oil consumption problem. I guess my results have varied on the positive end of the bell curve.

Best,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts