·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who has installed headers?

what type of gains have you seen?

did you diy or have a shop install?

if you diy how long did it take?

thanks in advance for replies guys! i may have the wife sold off on this mod for next month and i wanted to see some numbers all the way around from hp to time to money.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I would like to do headers too, but I think headers would really void the factory warranty of the motor?? Any warranty issues with headers?

·
Registered
336 Posts
It all depends if the headers cause the issue. You think if your automatic windows broke they woudl say "Sorry, you have headers your warrenty if totally void". Nope. I had an oil pump go out on my Trans Am and I had headers, no cats, and tons of bolt ons. It was still under warrenty. They just said as long as there were no internal engine mods the oil pump was still covered under warrenty.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Read the post again Alley ---- I said would it "void the warranty of the motor" - not the power windows. LMFAO.... I didn't mention anything about accessories or the like. I just couldn't imagine blowing the motor and having it taken to Dodge with headers, CAI, cat back's, etc. Them saying "sure it's under warranty".....

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
naperguy said:
Read the post again Alley ---- I said would it "void the warranty of the motor" - not the power windows. LMFAO.... I didn't mention anything about accessories or the like. I just couldn't imagine blowing the motor and having it taken to Dodge with headers, CAI, cat back's, etc. Them saying "sure it's under warranty".....
Alley's point is the dealer can only void warrantee on parts that brake as a result of the modification. The Burden of proof is on the dealer.
Don?t get to happy because if something goes wrong and they deny your clam you will spend a lot of time without a car and probably a lot of money on legal fees.
________
SmallMommy

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys, lets get back on track here...anyone out there do this? there has to be a test subject somewhere for us to ask questions. I am really intrigued by this install and think it will make the biggest difference without doing the s/c. the magnum guys love this install and i want a fellow charger owner to tell us what it's all about.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Doesn't MOPAR sell headers for the Charger Hemi? These would definitely not void the warranty.

·
Registered
245 Posts
jcmeci said:
Doesn't MOPAR sell headers for the Charger Hemi? These would definitely not void the warranty.
Stricktly MOPAR! I was thinking of odering the the exhaust for the Daytona if it is worth it ans I am sure MOPAR will offer headers in the near future if this forum is any indication for the demand for this product. I am not really keen on aftermarket items.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey guys, did them way back in Ma (18th actually). Here are the results on our Charger:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey needasrt4,

i know you have done the most with your car so far....i can't for the life of me see that chart that well. how much hp did you gain? is it an, "i can feel this gain" type of mod and did you go with the ceramic coating.

how is the work going on your car? last i remember you posting is that you were going in to do the heads/cam.

you also have the s/c huh?

I am very jealous of you, hopefully in the near future i can do the s/c...just worried about the internals on that...i want the engine to live for awhile.

oh, thanks for your help

·
Registered
315 Posts
Stock: 288rwhp, 306tq
Headers: 303rwhp, 331tq

I'm sure you could feel it, but the car was taken to Indiana for header install (initial guinea pig, charger gaurantee fit type thing) and then taken straight to cali for Supercharger, next time I saw the car it was making 415rwhp, 424tq.

Tear down starts tomorrow night for Heads/cam and possibly another goody (will elaborate upon arrival)

Not too worried about internals, as with our SRT4 making 480fwhp, damaged internals is good reason for rebuild. You will never know how far the stock internals will take you unless you push them to their limit. And if they continue to hold, you save the money, if they don't, you rebuild to make it bullit proof and make Shaun further try and get to the point of power of pushing the limits of the rebuild.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
415 rwhp....nice, very nice.....any idea how much the heads/cam will add to the hp range?

my next question....what do you do for a living to do this many mods so quickly...lol

i can't believe your srt4 was pushing 480, that is incredible!!!!!

thanks for the help and keep us updated...appreciate someone being the "first" to try things for the charger.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey GoDaddy, Its Bryan (your salesman) next time you are in town will you come by the dealership and let me hear you exhaust. I have a Daytona on oreder and I am considering a swap but I would really like to hear yours first. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't done the header mod yet. I am having S & S Headers in Phoenix, AZ. Make brand new headers for my R/T. They haven’t started yet but within a month or so they should start my car. They can't guarantee what kind of gains that I will get but they estimate it will probably be closer to 40-50 hp and similar torque. This is as long as they can fit full length headers under the car.

I’ll try to get a dyno up as soon as possible when it is done, but I also have 2.5” Flowmaster 40 series along with a K & N Aircharger intake system on my car already. So the dyno will include those gains as well.

As far as the warranty of the car goes I don’t believe it will void anything other then the headers. As long as you keep the original sensors which I don’t believe the headers have any O2 sensors, the only thing it would void is the aftermarket piece itself. I could be wrong tho, but that is what i was told.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bryan what's up brother?! are you working late tomorrow? i will be in town around 530 and i can stop in and see you...i think you will enjoy the sound at wot.

hey parm got screwed big time. they wouldn't let him come home so he should be coming in around sept. 10thish...i will tell you about it when i see you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
O2 sensors are in the headers and as well after the cat, most folks who do header and catback will get an 02 Check Engine Light, hoping to get about 60-70hp out of the heads and cam but it will be awhile before we know. Nearest dyno is over 2hrs away and we both work 6 days - 70hrs a week, and are key elements of the shops being open. If he and I aren't there, the shops are both normally closed. We both for an Auto accessory shop here locally. I, Heather, run our main location as well as run the backend of things. Shaun runs our sister location and helps me keep inventory in the shops. I've been in the business for about 2 years now in retail and about 4 years in wholesale. We are 23 & 25, so no other bills like kids, he has chosen cars over kids for the time being until we make enough for both.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i knew we did something wrong...we had kids....lol. they are definite money zappers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Headers will void factory warranty if it has caused a factory part to fail or caused damaged to a part it interacts with or controls.

This is a gray area.

Some dealers are mod friendly and depending on how far you go with hoping it up will sometimes say "What headers?" "Did you see any headers?"

MOPAR Performance parts do void warranty!

This comes from the Mopar.com site directly:

Performance parts are sold as is, without any warranty whatsoever.

©2005, DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS COMPANY, LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
PRIVACY STATEMENT. LEGAL NOTICES AND TERMS OF USE.

NOTICE
Federal and many state laws prohibit the removal, modification or rendering inoperative of any part or element of design affecting emissions or safety on motor vehicles used for transporting persons or property on a public street or highway. Violation may result in a fine of up to $27,500 per vehicle. Mechanical and/or electronic performance parts listed in this catalog cannot be used on vehicles used on public streets or highways.

These parts may be used only on vehicles used solely in sanctioned off-highway events. No other applications are intended or implied. Those parts that have been granted an exemption by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) or meet the EPA requirements of memorandum 1A are legal for highway use in California, New York and Massachusetts and are noted as such.

NO PARTS WARRANTY
Mopar Performance parts are sold "as is" unless otherwise noted. This means that parts sold by Mopar Performance carry no warranty whatsoever. Implied warranties, such as warranties of merchantability, are excluded. (An implied warranty of merchantability means that the part is reasonably fit for the general purpose for which is was sold). The entire risk as to quality and performance of such parts is with the buyer. Should such parts prove defective following their purchase, the buyer and not the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repair. Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep® vehicle and parts warranties are voided if the vehicle or parts are used for competition. The addition of performance parts does not by itself void a vehicle's warranty. However, added performance parts (parts not originally supplied on the vehicle from the factory) are not covered by the vehicle's warranty, and any failure that they may cause is also not covered by the vehicle's warranty.

MOPAR PERFORMANCE CRATE ENGINE 90-DAY LIMITED WARRANTY
Mopar Performance Crate Engine Assemblies not used in competition are warranted for "parts only", AS DELIVERED against defects in materials or workmanship for 90 days from the date of purchase. The following parts, if defective, will be replaced on an exchange basis for 90 days: cylinder blocks and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; intake manifold; core plugs, valve covers; oil pan; timing gear; water pump; gaskets and seals. See your dealer for a copy of the warranty.

EMISSIONS STATEMENT
Federal law requires emissions parts on new vehicles to be warranted for at least two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. Federal and many state laws also prohibit the removal, modification or rendering inoperative any part that affects emissions of safety on motor vehicles used on public streets or highways. Many Mopar Performance parts are designated for track use or off-road use only. Installation of certain components may bring the vehicle out of compliance with safety and/or emissions standards. Mopar recommends that vehicles with parts designated in this fashion not be operated on public roads. Mopar Performance customers are responsible for complying with applicable state and local environmental regulations. Additionally, certain performance parts may affect the emissions characteristics of the vehicle. If you install them on the vehicle, and your vehicle consequently fails a required state or local I/M (inspection and maintenance) emissions test, including any test required for maintain or renew your vehicle's registration, or if your vehicle is subject to an emissions recall, DaimlerChrysler may not be required to repair your vehicle under the emissions performance warranty, and you may be required to remove those parts at your own expense in order to obtain repairs necessary to pass the I/M test or to perform the recall.

NOTE: CALIFORNIA ONLY
The emissions laws and regulations of the state of California apply to all non-racing vehicles operated in California. Consequently, those parts marked in this catalog with an asterisk and appropriately marked on their packaging may legally be used in California only on a racing vehicle that will never be operated on public roads.

PARTS ORDERING AND INQUIRIES
The parts in this catalog may be ordered from authorized Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge dealerships or the speed shops carrying the Mopar Performance line of products. When a part ordered has been superseded, the replacing part will be shipped automatically. The price of the replacing part may differ from the ordered part.

·
Registered
315 Posts
thanx Mr Buzzkill... LOL :)
The way we see it. If you gotta ask whether or not it will void your warranty, you probably should not be buying it. Personally, we don't care about the warranty, but some folks do. You just need to decide for yourself whether you want performance and uniqueness or do you want to keep your car stock until after 36k miles. Sorry if it seems a little harsh but I had a guy just today, try to return an AirRaid intake for his 3.5L 300 because he read somewhere that it will completely VOID his factory warranty. COME ON MAN, GET SERIOUS, ITS A FRICKIN COLD AIR INTAKE!!

Headers are a pretty more serious mod, if you are contemplating headers, you should already half way have an idea as to what you are getting into.

·
Registered
253 Posts
GoDaddy said:
bryan what's up brother?! are you working late tomorrow? i will be in town around 530 and i can stop in and see you...i think you will enjoy the sound at wot.

hey parm got screwed big time. they wouldn't let him come home so he should be coming in around sept. 10thish...i will tell you about it when i see you.

Hey man, yeah I'll be there! And yeah I heard, Though I heard Oct. Poor basturd. Did he send you the pic of him on the cover of the mag! Funny as hell! Anyhow see ya later.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts