Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this thread has nothing to do with Chargers, etc. However, how's life in the MD/VA/DC area? I'm considering a job opportunity in Lanham and I know a few Charger owners live at least in the MD area. How life for a family? What about crime? If you had the chance, woud you leave? I know housing cost are through the roof. Lastly, job opportunities. I know there's alot of Government work, but who else is there? I know GEICO is in Chevy Chase, anybody else? Sorry about this post, but I need to make a decision by tomorrow.

Thanks!

·
Registered
522 Posts
People here suck, traffic sucks, and it's expensive. My family and I hate it. The only way to make it half decent is to commute 50 plus miles.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People here suck, traffic sucks, and it's expensive. My family and I hate it. The only way to make it half decent is to commute 50 plus miles.
Yeah, I've heard that its an expensive place to live. I've also heard that there are TONS of job opportunities. I'd be looking spceifcally at the Elicott city area. Where are you?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Depends on what you want and where you want to live. I live in Calvert County and I love it. I wouldn't want to live in Lanham, though. However, there are many nice places to live within a reasonable commute of Lanham.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I love Ellicott City and the area around it. Crime is really not an issue and there is plenty to do. Cost of living is out of this world in that area though. If I could afford to live there, I would.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are going to work in Lanham and live in Ellicott City you'll have a pain in the a$$ commute. If you are in the defense field there are loads of jobs throughout MD/DC/VA.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm.... How long would that commute be one-way in your opinion?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
a long long time...

Seriously though, if you're going in to work with everyone else I'm going to say an hour, hour and half. It's going to be straight traffic all the way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know this thread has nothing to do with Chargers, etc. However, how's life in the MD/VA/DC area? I'm considering a job opportunity in Lanham and I know a few Charger owners live at least in the MD area. How life for a family? What about crime? If you had the chance, woud you leave? I know housing cost are through the roof. Lastly, job opportunities. I know there's alot of Government work, but who else is there? I know GEICO is in Chevy Chase, anybody else? Sorry about this post, but I need to make a decision by tomorrow.

Thanks!
I live in PG and work in PG. It's not as bad as some would want to make it. The closer you live to the beltway the worse the crime. DC is spreading out further and further into PG. If you are going to work in Lanham I wouldn'tsuggest living there. There may be a few new neighborhoods that are quite but they are the except to the norm. I live in Bowie and in my section its very peaceful and quite. If working in Lanham the Bowie and Crofton (which is in Anne Arundel county) areas are within 30 minutes or so. Ellicott City is going to take a ride down 95 thats almost ALWAYS backed up in the morning. PG is not known for its jobs. Govenment wise in PG you have Dept. of Agriculture (sp??) is in Greenbelt, US Courts Greenbelt, IRS in New Carrollton and Hyattsville, Dept of Treasury in Hyattsville, NOAA in Camp Springs and Largo, Census in Suitland and Bowie. There are tons more in DC but driving is PITA so you would most likely metro it and some in Anne Arundel and a good amount in Montgomery County. Commuting from PG to Montgomery county is a PITA. Vice versa not so bad. PG to Anne Arundel and vice versa decent. Anything other than Montgomery county into VA is a big PITA. IT wise, most jobs are in Montgomery County or VA (Oracle, IBM, Sybase, BCBS, MDIPA and lots of other large companies). If you are into IT let me know, I work for the government in Largo MD but know a couple contractors looking for people that I could put you in touch with.

Marc

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i used to live in chicago now just south of d.c. i want to go back but its not bad enough aroound to scare me out. its like every big city you have you r good bad nice and not so nice. most of lanham and suitland oxenhill area i would try to venture away from and yes the traffic sucks and the parking in the city sucks. if i can use the metro i will

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in PG and work in PG. It's not as bad as some would want to make it. The closer you live to the beltway the worse the crime. DC is spreading out further and further into PG. If you are going to work in Lanham I wouldn'tsuggest living there. There may be a few new neighborhoods that are quite but they are the except to the norm. I live in Bowie and in my section its very peaceful and quite. If working in Lanham the Bowie and Crofton (which is in Anne Arundel county) areas are within 30 minutes or so. Ellicott City is going to take a ride down 95 thats almost ALWAYS backed up in the morning. PG is not known for its jobs. Govenment wise in PG you have Dept. of Agriculture (sp??) is in Greenbelt, US Courts Greenbelt, IRS in New Carrollton and Hyattsville, Dept of Treasury in Hyattsville, NOAA in Camp Springs and Largo, Census in Suitland and Bowie. There are tons more in DC but driving is PITA so you would most likely metro it and some in Anne Arundel and a good amount in Montgomery County. Commuting from PG to Montgomery county is a PITA. Vice versa not so bad. PG to Anne Arundel and vice versa decent. Anything other than Montgomery county into VA is a big PITA. IT wise, most jobs are in Montgomery County or VA (Oracle, IBM, Sybase, BCBS, MDIPA and lots of other large companies). If you are into IT let me know, I work for the government in Largo MD but know a couple contractors looking for people that I could put you in touch with.

Marc
I've been told to live in Montgomery county; supposedly has the best schools in the country.

Also, I know about all of the contract work in the DC area, what about permanent positions? I looked at the Fortune 500 list, and it looks like most of the companies are in VA. List too long to copy, but here's a few.

Maryland

1 Lockheed Martin Bethesda
2 Constellation Energy Baltimore
3 Marriott International Bethesda
4 Coventry Health Care Bethesda
5 Black & Decker Towson
6 Host Hotels & Resorts Bethesda
7 Legg Mason Baltimore
8 W.R. Grace Columbia
9 McCormick Sparks
10 USEC Bethesda

D.C