Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Daytona that came with the rear deck sub and I am thinking about upgrading to the Kicker trunk mounted sub & amp. Would this be a substantial improvement? How well does the bass travel throught the car being shut in the trunk?

·
Registered
148 Posts
bang for the buck its a good bump. Im not all into system just wanted a lil bump in the truck and this did it for me. for a good price to.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
How difficult is it to install?
very easy - little bit of a harness to run, few screws thats it. hardest part for me was getting in the rear parcel shelf to mount the amp and connect to the existing speaker harness.

Make sure it is ok with the SE sound system though. I think it will be, but I know the SE has a different system than the R/T, SRT and SXT with the boston acoustics setup

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Here is my opinion since I too had the factory 8" rear deck sub in my car and went to the 10" kicker trunk mount setup.

With the bass as high as it allows me to turn it up on the radio, it sounds like 2 of the 8" factory rear deck subs......and thats with the thick padded carpet in the trunk under the rear deck removed, and with a port cutout of the back deck where the 8" used to be.....it is "punchier" and cleaner bass, but it is not all that louder or "bassier" then the 8" sub in the rear deck............if your getting a great deal on it I would say do it, if your spending more then $300 on it I would do something else

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
How good? Well, it's ok. How good for your money? NOT. Terrible bang (or bump) for your buck. High level Kicker products aren't exactly entry level and I'm ok with them not being audiophile grade but they're priced like they are. Personally, I would get an Fi Q 15" and Cadence iA7 to power it.

Fi Q 15" $264
Cadence iA7 $300
Custom-built box (do not get a pre-fab) $150

If memory serves, the Mopar kit is about $800? So what I picked out is definitely in the same price range. You can get a sub-out if you have the 8" BA sub or the Kicker sub from the factory, otherwise you need to order a CAN-BUS interface from PAC Audio. Don't even think about getting a line-out converter because it will sound like garbage. You need to do this with either set-up; either the Mopar or aftermarket, by the way.

Anyway, the Fi Q is an AMAZING subwoofer. It will excite even the most persistent audiophile and yet still has the capability to make your trunk bang louder than you'd ever reasonably want it to. The Cadence iA7 is the best power for the money. The Q needs 1,000 watts which is fine but pretty much the most our cars electrical systems can take stock (no worries you won't be endangering anything; it's not like boost where too much blows your engine). You need to have a box custom-built for the sub as pre-fabricated boxes suck; every single one of them unless it is pre-fab for the exact specific application you are putting it in. You need to know the driver and the available space to determine the box, but if you get one custom-built for you it will be perfect. The box is actually what limits most amateur sub-woofer set-ups, actually.

In short: The Mopar subs are not as loud, do not sound as good, look worse (opinion), and likely take up more room than the aftermarket system I picked out for essentially the same price. You are not voiding any warranty or anything like that by not going the Mopar route. DO NOT get the Mopar subs.

Edit: And if you don't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money on some bass in your trunk, there are plenty of good mid-range set-ups as well that only run say, half the power.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is my opinion since I too had the factory 8" rear deck sub in my car and went to the 10" kicker trunk mount setup.

With the bass as high as it allows me to turn it up on the radio, it sounds like 2 of the 8" factory rear deck subs......and thats with the thick padded carpet in the trunk under the rear deck removed, and with a port cutout of the back deck where the 8" used to be.....it is "punchier" and cleaner bass, but it is not all that louder or "bassier" then the 8" sub in the rear deck............if your getting a great deal on it I would say do it, if your spending more then $300 on it I would do something else
Cool, thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts