Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, how fast have you taken your charger? how did it handle at that speed?
how fast do you think it'll top out at? anyone top thier v6 or HEMI yet?

John

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
tops speed of a charger r/t is 126 MPH electronically limited

·
Registered
630 Posts
During my test drive two weeks ago, I hit a spot on a highway that was long and straight with no traffic. Had just come out of a turn and I just pushed the throttle down for a bit and pegged 100, then backed off and let it glide back down to posted (65). When I announced to the wife and my two (teenage) kids, how did 100 feel, they were amazed that I had done it. They said you couldn't tell and the fact that I had gotten there so fast. :)

To me as the driver, it was effortless. Felt like it was on rails and I for sure could have pushed it farther had the "this isn't mine" gremlin not wispered in my ear. :D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Back when I was in college, I got a ticket going 119. To tell you the truth, I'm glad the cop nailed me. It was a real wake-up call. Up until that point, I never really thought about just how insanely stupid it is to drive that fast. I probably haven't driven any faster than 80 ever since. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
gweempose said:
Back when I was in college, I got a ticket going 119. To tell you the truth, I'm glad the cop nailed me. It was a real wake-up call. Up until that point, I never really thought about just how insanely stupid it is to drive that fast. I probably haven't driven any faster than 80 ever since. :)
I would have to agree on point with you. Unless you have a stretch of highway at least a couple miles long and you KNOW (like the back of your hand) the condition of that stretch, then going 100, 110, 120 or more is really pushing the safety limits.

I will say though that I am not afraid of (or for) people who go this fast because of the speed itself. It is because of the condition of the roads. The US just doesn't know and/or care to build roads that are for fast speeds. I wont go into detail here but I have two soapbox issues about this, 1) "speed kills" is an asinine and totally false claim and 2) there needs to be a gradiant licensing system which would allow people who get the approprate training to legally push past limits (when safe to) without being hastled. But those are for another thread.

As a general guideline I would say top cruise speed would be 80 (+/-) with 90 being a passing speed if required at all. Here in Colorado, we do have a posted of 75 for interstates and 65 for state and US highways. I would only consider these guides on the interstate. If you were with me on the road, you'd find me doing about 78 or 79 with the cruise on. If someone else want to go faster, I wave at them as they pass me.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I will disagree with this issue. I have been part of fatality investigations where speed is one of the primary conditions that caused the accident.

As for giving drivers the ability to upgrade their license to one that would allow them to go zoom zoom. No way jack. Majority of the drivers on the road today drive while with their heads up their asses.
Now you want to have a class of drivers with special license that give them the ability to driver 90 MPH to 200 MPH on the roads. The problem with this is the merging of the two types of drivers on the road at the same time. How would LEOs know between the two types??

Naw, nice idea but not practical. Just zoom when you can safely do so and take the gamble that a LEO is not pegging you with radar/lidar.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
DB, was it "speed" or a combination or speed and poor road conditions or speed and driver stupidity? I would venture to say a set speed has never caused an accident. Never has anyone hit 88 and just wiped out. There has to be either driver error, or some outside factor.

Too much speed for a certain place, like an onramp, or while deer are really active, yep. Or if a mechanical malfunction is excaberated by speed.

And I'm also in favor of graduated liscences. Of course, the testing would have be similar to an EVOC course, with just as detailed a test to judge judgement skills as well as extraordinary (to regular folks, anyway) car control skills. And if you catch an "A" class driver "merging" his levels with "C" drivers, then the hammer drops. To hold those privileges, the judgement to use them wisely would have to be demonstrated always.

You would have no way of knowing who has this, just like you have no way of knowing if a citizen is one of those with a carry permit. When challenged, of course the citizen would provide proof.

Out of my 5 citations in the last eight years, every single one was for speeding under conditions that posed no possible danger to anyone. I NEVER have more than a 5 mph difference in traffic. But all the citations were on empty roads, or at least no other vehicles within say 1/2 mile, top speed cited was I think 84 in a 75, the others were similar.

Given my vehicle is safely capable of much higher speeds, and of course that road conditions are acceptable, which onus is on me, there's no reason I can't safely travel @ 90.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
GLHS837 said:
DB, was it "speed" or a combination or speed and poor road conditions or speed and driver stupidity? I would venture to say a set speed has never caused an accident. Never has anyone hit 88 and just wiped out. There has to be either driver error, or some outside factor.

Too much speed for a certain place, like an onramp, or while deer are really active, yep. Or if a mechanical malfunction is excaberated by speed.
I have to agree. Speed in and of itself doesn't kill. Just like guns don't kill people...people kill people (but that's a whole different issue). It's not speed alone that causes accidents and/or bodily injury for drivers, passengers, or pedestrians (sp?), its the inability of people to operate or control their vehicles at elevated speeds, dangerous road and/or environmental conditions, or an abrupt, unexpected stop while traveling at higher speeds that tend to do damage to people and property.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
This soap box speech sounded a little harsh when I read it back to myself. I decided not to change it because when I hear someone saying they should have a different set of rules than others, I get worried about their motivations.

Speed decreases your ability to react and increases the damage when accidents happen. If the speed limit was 35 on the highway, how much would that reduce the % of fatalities each year? (Due to auto accidents)Yet, 35 MPH is not practical.
Another thing that is not practical is different traffic rules for different drivers on the same road. That's a childish and moronic idea. You already have to much speed difference when driving down the road. Somebody driving 5 mph less than the speed limit, some driving at the speed limit and some driving 5mph over the limit and you want create another dimension of that on the same road?
Now in places that don?t have much traffic it may not be such a dumb idea to raise the limits but for everyone.

The only way a graduated licensing system would work is to have roads that had different rules and access would be limited to approved personal (graduated license). Ah, sounds like a race track.

When I (you) get a ticket don?t blame the cop or the traffic laws. It?s my (your) fault. I know that?s a hard pill to swallow but it?s true.
That being said, I have seen the speed limiter on my magnum several times. 128 mph. When I get my Charger I will see the speed limiter.
But I will not try to justify doing it. It?s stupid and dangerous, but it is fun.
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Damn, childish and moronic? Your right, sounds harsh. Fine, then lets make driver education real, like in Germany. I plan on sending my children for extra schooling for just that reason. Our driver education system is a joke.

I don't "blame" cops, I accept that I made the choice to break that particular law, and willingly accept the consequences. I always am nice to the officer, and never try to excuse my speed.

I do rail against the fact that we expend huge amounts of resources targeting sane sensible speeders, while I have to dodge idiots all day who can't properly signal a turn, plan a lane change, or execute a merge onto a highway where the traffic is going 65 without coming to a complete stop first.

Lets be realistic, neither of these things, graduated liscenses or better driver training willl ever happen. If you were to try and implement the fairest one, make every driver meet a reasonable standard, you would get lynched. Even though that would drop injuries per thousand travelled hugely.

Just as I might get called names for possibly thinking that I just might have skills most drivers don't. And that I should be expected to use judgement in the application of those skills. Such as NOT driving with a big speed differential in traffic. And not using the +160 top end of my car on the D.C. beltway, where such speeds would get a tire ripped off in a pothole.

Oh, and about that different rules thing. Big rigs quite often have lane resrictions, and speed limits, don't they? They are required to go slower than any other traffic in some places. And of course, you have to take a special course and testing to drive one, right? :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
On the nose GLSH837, when I said those with credentials could go "zoom, zoom" as the wanted, I did say "when it was safe" which means when all the variables which go into allow extra speed. This would include light or no traffic. If you are in a pack of cars on the highway and they are all doing 75, yes of course its not safe to go zipping by them at even 85. As G said and what I tried to articulate is that the speed itself does not kill otherwise all of our top end race drivers would be dead when they reached that fatal number. It is speed with other factors that cause the fatality. With training, you would know what those factors are and when they dictate you can and cannot go faster. Also, to be clear, most of this I am just talking highway driving, not city streets or one lane roads.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Speed is a relative term here...I saw where someone suggested that fatality rates would drop if the speed limit were dropped to 35 m.p.h.. b.s.! I have seen suv drivers flip their rigs at 35! Also fatality rates were at their highest when the speed limit was 55, and have been going down( in relation to miles traveled) ever since. I have driven highways in Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Kansas etc.. where out on the open interstate 90-100 m.p.h. would be perfectly safe. I've also driven in California where if you weren't going 90 YOU were the safety hazzard! I used to drive for a living, and most of the really bad accidents I've seen were on city streets where "speed" played no role, driver error did. Why? Because like GLHS837 said America's Drivers ed programs suck. I never took any drivers course except high performance driving and have driven well over a million miles and have never been in an accident that I was at fault for. I drive at a "comfortable" speed for me for whatever the conditions are at that moment. Usually, its about 7-10 miles over the posted limit. I would also say that about 70% of other drivers do the same, it's the other 30% that have no clue and should have their licenses revoked. America needs better driving schools, tougher testing to get a license and law enforcement should go after the real criminals... the overly agressive drivers who pose a real threat to traffic safety and the space cadets who are not paying attention to what they should be doing. It's when those two types of drivers meet, disaster happens.

Off my soapbox now :wink:

·
Registered
331 Posts
What really pisses me off is when you see some a**hole weaving in and out of traffic at 100+. If you want to risk your own life by driving like an idiot, that's your prerogative. Just don't do it when there are other cars around! People don't use their heads. What happens if someone suddenly changes lanes? If you are going 40-50 MPH faster than the other traffic, there is no time to react.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Sorry for hijacking the thread 808, I tried to indicate that this should be in a different thread, but as usual, everyone has a opinion on this. The bottom line is to be safe when driving, be it at 35 or 95.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Speed is a relative term here...I saw where someone suggested that fatality rates would drop if the speed limit were dropped to 35 m.p.h.. b.s.! I have seen suv drivers flip their rigs at 35! Also fatality rates were at their highest when the speed limit was 55, and have been going down( in relation to miles traveled) ever since.
Yes speed is relative, so is safety. Damage is relative to the energy involved in an accident. Increasing speed increases energy. Am I wrong?
Yes an SUV can flip at 35mph. It will flip more times at 55, and even more at 75mph.
I wasn't say there would be less accidents if the speed limit was 35. I am just saying the accidents would not have as much energy involved making to possible damage less.

I have driven highways in Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Kansas etc.. where out on the open interstate 90-100 m.p.h. would be perfectly safe.
Argue all you want, but a car going 35 is harder to loosing control of than a car going 100mph. Speed doesn?t cause accidents but it make them harder to avoid. And if you do lose control the car going 35 it has a lot less energy to deal with .

Also fatality rates were at their highest when the speed limit was 55, and have been going down( in relation to miles traveled) ever since.
You think that?s because speeds increased? Think about how much better cars are today in protecting people from injury. Airbags, seatbelt laws, crumple zones, traction control systems. Increasing speed limits may have reduce the number of accidents (I doubt it) but increased speeds are not a reason for reduced fatality rates.

Again I don't drive the speed limit I am not trying to scorn and one who does speed. I wager that I drive as fast as most here. I do not weave through traffic and only go slightly faster that the cars around me. I consider that safe enough.
I would never say that I drive fast for safety reasons unless it?s to get out of a dangerous situation.
As far as the other drivers, I agree that there are many that should not have license and people who drive scared are more of a hazard than people who drive aggressive.

Anyway
So the speed limiter on the Charger set at 126? Has anyone found if the Daytona's are different?
They do come with different tires. The tires speed rating, as I underdstand it, is the reason for the speed limiter set point.
________
Wong Amat Tower Condos Pattaya

·
Registered
164 Posts
The question was how fast anyone has gone in their Charger, not whether speed kills, or if it's right or wrong to speed.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
:whistle: So far I have gone 115. Will top it out on the West Texas freeway this coming Saturday and let you know how the Lady in Red did.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts