Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know half the engine shuts off on the highway, but how much more efficient is it in the city over the v6? Also how much do yall spend on gas for those with a v8. I want a v8, but I commute 60 miles a day for work. I drive a cobalt, its efficient but this little engine just doesnt cut it.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I'm going to be blunt here. Don't by a Hemi if you're looking for fuel efficiency. I've had two next gen R/T's. The first was an '11 and on the highway I could muster an average of 26-27mpg babying it quite a bit. City driving is about 18 to 20. Right now I own a '13 AWD Max. Today on the highway on a 95 mile round trip I got 24 mpg keeping the speed around 75 mph. The AWD has the drag of powering the front wheels when outside temps are under 37degrees or when the wipers are on and also has 3.06 gearing vs the 2.65 of the two wheel drive.
Thing is with a Hemi, you want to mash the pedal, you want that viceral power. If you live in fear of emptying the tank then the v6 is the way to go with about 31 mpg highway on regular gas. The Hemi will 0-60 in 5.2 to 5.4 seconds while the 3.6 will do it in about 6.9. The 6.9 isn't horrible but I wanted the power and I understood the cost of filling the tank with 89 octane that right now accounts to about 62 bucks a week. That's about 240 bucks a month on top of the car payment. I knew all this going into it and have no regrets but not everyone has the same priorities.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
super efficient. compared to the original Chargers (60's and 70's)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have a 26 mile commute one way and only 4 miles of it is interstate. Under those conditions I am getting 19 MPG which I am quite satisfied with. My G8 GT got 16 MPG on that same commute. I spend a lot of time in my car and I want something that is comfortable and has good performance. No V6 for me, not worth the performance tradeoff IMHO. I don't want a car that is slower than a Camry!

GTO_04

·
Registered
203 Posts
As someone said before, if mileage is the top priority for you, go with the V6 model. However, for a 370 HP V8 and full size car, the R/T gets good mileage IMO. According to the EVIC, I'm averaging 19.6 MPG and that's mostly short distance driving. I don't baby it, but I don't "hemi it" at every stop light either. I do however enjoy the hemi's power from time to time so I am very impressed with the mileage. My previous two cars were V6s and they didn't do any better on mileage. In fact, my CTS could barely break 18 mpg and it was only a V6(although it was AWD). The hemi engine doesn't just go into 4 cylinder mode in the highway, it will do it anytime you are not accelerating hard and the road is flat. At first I thought that was a gimmick, but it really does seem to help with mpg without hurting the car's performance.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
bought my 2011 on new years eve 2011. just turned over 12k miles.

the worst mileage I've gotten for a tank of gas is 20.5mpg hand calculated (on board EVIC display showed 21.5), best was 24.5 hand calculated (evic showed 25.4) typical is 22-23 for a tank, I usually fill up at ~320-360 miles on a tank, with 60-100 left showing on the distance to empty

my commute/driving is usually 60% hwy 40% city

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a 26 mile commute one way and only 4 miles of it is interstate. Under those conditions I am getting 19 MPG which I am quite satisfied with. My G8 GT got 16 MPG on that same commute. I spend a lot of time in my car and I want something that is comfortable and has good performance. No V6 for me, not worth the performance tradeoff IMHO. I don't want a car that is slower than a Camry!

GTO_04
The V6 isn't slower than the Camry! Maybe the 2.7l is but in my 3.5l I beat a 1994 5.7l Camaro. There not slow. There pretty quick I've raced my share of V8's and they have all been close races

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
324 Posts
I get about 25 MPG in my AWD, 60% highway driving.

The 2011+ have electric power steering which frees up a couple HP / MPG over the previous generation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We what yall are getting sounds pretty good for a v8. Ill probably go with the v8, its hard to stay away from. Just curious but what were yalls monthly payments and interest rates like when yoh bought yours?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Mpg

The v6 gets about 3 more miles per gallon at best, 3 * 19, you can drive 57 more miles on the v6 per fill up. you will fill up about 52 times a year, so 57 * 52 is 2964 which is how many more miles you can drive in the v6 for the same cost of gas for the v8. 2964 / 19 ( which is average mpg for a v8) is 156. You will have to buy 156 more gallons of gas for the hemi will cost you about 600 more a year to own it

·
Registered
822 Posts
The V6 isn't slower than the Camry! Maybe the 2.7l is but in my 3.5l I beat a 1994 5.7l Camaro. There not slow. There pretty quick I've raced my share of V8's and they have all been close races

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It sure is. The new camry is like 5.7 0-60. The SXT is about 6.6. Also I had a 1997 Z28 and there is no way the SXT is faster then that car. Im pretty sure the first year of the new body 1993 was 275 HP and ran 0-60 in 5.3.

Those mid 90s Z28s were fast. High 13's stock. They are RT territory. Like I said I know first had I owned and raced one

·
Registered
366 Posts
Get the v8 ; ). V8 Envy sucks. I had a G8 V6. I did everything I could to make it faster and could only muster up a 15.3 quarter mile. I LOVED that car but regreted not getting the V8.

3 months ago I got a 2013 Charger RT AWD and good lord it's nice to have a V8. Like someone posted 0-60 in low 5s. My best is 5.09. Just think. It's a rocket off the line. 0-30 in 2 seconds and 0-40 in 2.9 seconds.

I average 17-18 mpg but that's with winter gas lots of snow driving. I can push 28-29 mpg on the highway if I am really gentle and in RWD mode. 26 in AWD.

As far as payments. I Leased my baby. 39 month lease. Not a penny Down and I am paying a whopping $322 a month for 12000 annual miles. I got a great deal but that's the lowest payment I have ever had on a car.

Anyways good luck

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
We what yall are getting sounds pretty good for a v8. Ill probably go with the v8, its hard to stay away from. Just curious but what were yalls monthly payments and interest rates like when yoh bought yours?
Subjective.
Depends on where you live and what incentives are available...

·
Registered
36 Posts
How many miles do you drive in a week? Say you get 5 MPG less in the Hemi than the V6, then how much more will the Hemi really cost you? (the more you drive, the greater the cost).

I will say, I did decide to go with the Pentastar V6/6 Speed combo and love it. No, it's not a Hemi, but it doesn't leave me wanting for the Hemi either. I am more than satisfied with this amazing car! (What really sold me on it was the ride and handling balance).

That of course is just me. If you will only be satisfied with the Hemi, then you should certainly get it!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
got mine at 2.09, financed $23k for 5 years, I think my payment is like $404....

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a 60 mile round trip commute and my avg mileage is 33-39 mpg. Way beyond the 31 mpg advertised. Overall tank averages have never been below 24 mpg and usually 25+. So if mileage is important that's the way to go. I figure it adds up over time.

I like the Hemi and if I could have a "weekend" car I would get one (probably and Chally), but the hp and overall ride are great on the 3.6/8spd and perfect for a daily driver. I remember having a noticeable handling difference between the Pentastar and R/T, but I think that is because of the higher weight up from on the Hemi.

I test drove a Camry when shopping for a new car. Nice car but I ended up buying the V6 Charger. I own other Toyotas too so don't get me wrong. I don't have Hemi envy nor have I ever wished I had gotten a Camry instead.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you get a SRT for any crazy reason, 20mpg+ is a pipe dream. Even when I go light on the throttle and have the cruise set for 70, I have yet to see 20, granted she's still in the 'break in phase', so I like to have hope MPG's might gain 1 or 2 mpg, but in reality that was never what I bought the car for. :driving:

·
Registered
203 Posts
The current gen V6 Camrys are fast. I believe around 6.0 for 0-60. According to Automobile magazine's test, their V6 Charger was 6.9 seconds to 60. Not bad, but not the fastest. But, the Charger is a RWD car with a near 50/50 weight balance so while it may not be as fast as the FWD Camry, it'll sure drive better overall. Especially when the road curves. And we won't even discuss looks! While the two cars are similar in price and have 4 doors, I don't really consider them in the same league.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts