Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone who has a Charger SE or SXT. How do you like it? any regrets? whats your biggest gripe? Power wise?

I want to know because im still having a hard time trying to see which one I like better!

Thanks a lot guys!

John

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Charger SE. I love it, its way too much fun to drive. I bought the absolute base model, because it's really out of my price range anyway and I couldn't afford an RT. I didn't really like the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires, so I put on nice 18'' wheels and BFG Goodrich Ge-Force KDWS tires. I am also going to debadge the 3.5L from the sides and add in a chrome grille in the next two weeks. For the price, the SE is pretty well equipped. I am quite satisfied, it is simple but sufficient in terms of accessories. In terms of power, every once in a while I get hemi envy and wish maybe I would have splurged even more for the RT...but the I hit the gas pedal and lurch forward and remember how much power the SE packs. It's not a lame duck by any means, I'm not a reckless driver but I have no problem blasting by people on the highway and I feel like I'm driving a muscle car nonetheless even if it has "ONLY" 250 HP haha. I'm not sure the SXT package is worth the money unless you want to factory order with a lot of options.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I second that. I got the base model because of the price and i am really happy with. Sure u will always wish u had a hemi, hoever when the monthly bill comes, u will be happy. As far as power goes, this thing still pushes u back in the seat. I say go with the and put some rims.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought the SXT with sunroof, leather and 18" wheels. paid C$34000 plus for it and think its the best 34000 I have ever spent. Considering what's available out there, this is by far the best bang for the buck. Not to mention the looks, size, power, smooth ride, etc etc. But back to the topic, I think if you can afford it, buy the RT. If budget is a concern, the V6 is no slouch either. On its own, it'll still be considered one of the best in the price range. The only things you do not get are bragging rights, the V8 growl and noticably better acceleration after 60mph. It comes down to whether you want a 4 door muscle car or an awesome sports sedan.

·
Registered
63 Posts
BTW, any gripes you see here are common throughout the lineup, nothing is specific to only the V6.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
I gotta have the HEMI :D At least you V6 guys still have the look. But I won't buy anything but (at least) a V8

Smoke 'em!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have no real gripes about my SXT. Power and engine performance is outstanding for a 3.5L V6 (gas mileage and a 17 year old son were my deciding factors in not going for the HEMI). While the SXT package pricing seems a bit high, there were too many options in it that I wanted (machined wheels, folding rear seat, fog lamps, upgraded stereo which rocks :headbang: ) for me not to go for it. The Goodyear tires are not a great match for the vehicle and will probably not be on the car much longer. If you have already made the decision not to go HEMI, then it comes down to the ability to option the SE the way you want it as some upgrades are not available unless you go SXT.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my SXT. It is an absolute blast to drive, and I love the looks I get when driving it (I went to the parts store last night to pick up some things for my old Blazer and I had to wait until everyone came back into the store from looking at my car before I could get what I needed). Like the Doc, the SXT had more options than the SE that I wanted. My baby gets great gas mileage (average 21 mpg for my 30-mile-one-way commute and 27+ mpg on the highway). The HEMI would have been nice, but monthly payments and MPG are more important to me right now than HP. Who knows, maybe I'll get myself a Daytona down the line, when I can afford it, and give my wife the SXT. :embarrese

·
Registered
322 Posts
- I bought a Midnight Blue "SE" model - and, I like it a lot. I like the color and the overall looks.
- When I went to the Dealer to do a test drive of the Charger, I purposefuly did not test drive the Hemi model (because I knew I would talk myself into it).

- I skipped the SXT model, so that I could (later) go buy the Aluminums rims of my choice - and I didn't need the upgraded Stereo system because I was putting my own system into the car. As for the Fog Lights, I can add them on later (for $100).

- NOTE: When my car was in for service, they gave me a Magnum R/T loaner, which I had for the 3 days of Dealer "Screw-ups". Anyhow, the R/T Magnum was fun - after those 3 days, I got the "I should of gotten the Hemi" feeling out of my system. I realized that I would get into too much trouble with the Hemi model.

Lastly, I find that with the V6/3.5L, I have to be careful with some acceleration tasks - like pulling out in a hurry and passing in a short amount of time and space - because the car doesn't just "ZOOM" by others - it takes a bit more time to get up to speed.

Brian T.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im a new SXT owner (new to the forum also) here and I've got to say I'm completely satisfied with my purchase. Ya the HEMI, would be a blast, but between the xtra cash, gas mileage and the abuse my drivers license would take :) , i opted for the SXT.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had my SXT for 2 months now and am really enjoying it! Feel like it is great car and good value for the $$. Do I wish for the Hemi? Not really-considering that I got just over 27mpg (do the Hemi's do that well?). The main reason I didn't get it was the ride. Hemi with R/T was just a little to stiff ride for this aging body. So...saved money, better gas milage, as fast as I need it to be and more comfort- get the 6 cyl and enjoy!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, looks like i've havent posted here in a while, so, it's great to be back!

As for the people that have the V6, great! I hope to get one within the next few months, and im not getting the SXT, Im getting the SE, only because of money constraints.

It's great to see that you people are satisfied with your purchase. When i took my test drive, I was so suprised with how much pull this car has, and how i can easily fishtail the rear end around a U-turn, with a slight press of the gas.

My only problem, and descicion to shy me away? The lack of aftermarket support. Really, if they are making supercharger kits for the hemi, then why can' they make a kit for the V6?

Nevertheless, ill just be doing the basics-intake, exhaust, chip. Maybe some internal work-PnP heads and manifold, bore out throttle body, that kind of work.

Glad to see that you ghys are satisfied with your purchase!

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love it

Yes I kind of wish I had the HEMI, however, I'm not at all dissapointed with the V6. I just need the GT Sport package to complete my baby...then Im set and happy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
BarnStormer said:
Im a new SXT owner (new to the forum also) here and I've got to say I'm completely satisfied with my purchase. Ya the HEMI, would be a blast, but between the xtra cash, gas mileage and the abuse my drivers license would take :) , i opted for the SXT.
I have already been pulled over three times. once in the city doing donuts, second I got caught drifting a left turn. I think he let me go because he was impressed how well i handled the drift. third for speeding. You license will take a little pinch. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
buzz69 said:
I have already been pulled over three times. once in the city doing donuts, second I got caught drifting a left turn. I think he let me go because he was impressed how well i handled the drift. third for speeding. You license will take a little pinch. Good luck.
haha good stuff.

I really haven't messed around w/ my Charger yet, I never do on new cars until I get abour 3,000 miles in and after my 1st oil change.

A lot of people tell me its not good to drive over 65-70 mph during the first 1000 miles or so. Anybody else ever hear of this????

·
Registered
68 Posts
NedSahin said:
haha good stuff.

I really haven't messed around w/ my Charger yet, I never do on new cars until I get abour 3,000 miles in and after my 1st oil change.

A lot of people tell me its not good to drive over 65-70 mph during the first 1000 miles or so. Anybody else ever hear of this????
Yes, but in the book it says only the first 300miles. I got my oil change two weeks ago and there was no signs of grinding. No metalic flakes

·
Registered
11 Posts
buzz69 said:
Yes, but in the book it says only the first 300miles. I got my oil change two weeks ago and there was no signs of grinding. No metalic flakes
So 300 miles..and you're good to race??

I'm at about 1,300 now..can I start? I'm dying to!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
don't make it a habit, but if the oppertunity arises go for it. you will be shocked in your results. Go get'em

·
Registered
106 Posts
Between 300-700 miles I would randomly gun it. I would drive it conservative most of the time but "brief periods of full throttle acceleration" I heard was recommended during the break in period.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts