Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to disable the trunk release button inside the car?
If so, how? Thanks

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Well if I am not mistaken, there is a way but it won't be fun... It will involve taking off the dash board and unhooking either the wires or the wire depending on the mechanism. The OP is prolly trying to stop a thief from breaking in the car and getting into the trunk to steal a system or whatever, I disabled it in my Honda when I was in high school for that reason.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Well if I am not mistaken, there is a way but it won't be fun... It will involve taking off the dash board and unhooking either the wires or the wire depending on the mechanism. The OP is prolly trying to stop a thief from breaking in the car and getting into the trunk to steal a system or whatever, I disabled it in my Honda when I was in high school for that reason.
I guess that might cause a thief an extra 5 seconds of effort with a screwdriver if the owner has a V6 Charger. For the rest of us, he'd only need to fold down one of halves of the rear seat.

Maybe the guy has long legs and his knee is hitting the button. :)

If the trunk release is independently fused (I haven't looked), you could just pull the fuse. You could also install a hidden 50 cent toggle switch on one of the release button leads so you could enable/disable it at will.

I think I'd rank this "mod" right up there with sorting my sock drawer, but that's just me. :)

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Only SE doesn't have folding rear seats and my sytem was buil so that it wouldn't fit out the seats, a screwdriver would still do the trick but any extra thought may deter a non-experienced thief.

It may be as useful as an organized sock drawer but it may save some heartache in the long run.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Throw a relay inline with the trunk switch and power it from an ignition source.
Only those with a key to turn the car on will be able to use the button.

I suppose if the thief forces the ignition on with a screwdriver or some other tool its probably too late anyway. If he cant get the trunk open right there he will drive the car away and force the trunk open later.

Or use a toggle like someone mentioned earlier.

-GB

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
That bugs the poo outta me too knowing I have to put it in park to pop it open...

If I were the OP I would have it on a relay powered with an ignition source, may be harder to do than just disconnecting it but you would at least retain the functionality of the in car switch with added security

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I suppose if the thief forces the ignition on with a screwdriver or some other tool its probably too late anyway. If he cant get the trunk open right there he will drive the car away and force the trunk open later.
-GB
has any Charger been stolen by someone without a key yet?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
if they did it just like benz with the keys the way they are... there is no way someone has stolen a charger without the key... the only way to do it is like on gone in 60 seconds where they used dealer credentials and vin numbers to order new keys but the newest ones still have to be learned into the car before use so you're still screwed thieves!!!!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
has any Charger been stolen by someone without a key yet?
You know thats a good point. I forgot about that sentry key thing. I have to get my brain up to date with all these fancy electronics.

I suppose the trunk button is disabled except for in park so you cant pop it while underway. Makes sense but too bad they couldn't have a brake sensor on it so you can pop it open while in drive but if your foot is off the brake it wont open.

-GB

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to disable the trunk button because anyone can smash a window and try to find some loot in your car. They would have to work to get in the trunk. Since most car break ins are punk kids, I figured it would just be another safety precaution.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Before my Charger, I had a Jetta and the VW's came with two master keys/fobs and a valet key (laser cut like the Benz keys). You could use the master key to lock the glove compartment, lock the gas cover and trunk releases as well as the folding seats but the valet key wouldn't unlock them. The reason for this was so that if you valet your car, they couldn't do anything but open the doors and start the cars (e.g. they couldn't steal stuff out of your glove compartment or trunk). I wish that the Charger had the same feature.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have mine disabled. They just unplugged the wire out of the back of the switch when i had my system put in.

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Before my Charger, I had a Jetta and the VW's came with two master keys/fobs and a valet key (laser cut like the Benz keys). You could use the master key to lock the glove compartment, lock the gas cover and trunk releases as well as the folding seats but the valet key wouldn't unlock them. The reason for this was so that if you valet your car, they couldn't do anything but open the doors and start the cars (e.g. they couldn't steal stuff out of your glove compartment or trunk). I wish that the Charger had the same feature.
My old 96 neon had this feature of a valet key. Its kind of interesting that they dont today.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My old 96 neon had this feature of a valet key. Its kind of interesting that they dont today.
My 95 Intrepid had the valet key. It would only unlock the door and start the car. Would not open the trunk or glove box. I used it when I took the car in for service.

Too bad the trunk button is not in the glove box.

-GB

·
Registered
964 Posts
why would you want the trunk to pop on a roll??? cant wait for the answer to this one :lol:
so we can POP OUR TRUNKS lol... and cruise with the trunk open like the rap videos :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts