Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. I'm on the WRT 20 inch wheels. the lightweight FORGED setups. i've searched on the Charger, Challenger, Scatpack, Hellcat forums, and there are a slew of posts about cracked wheels. i'm guessing since new for 2015, they made em thinner than some?

although its the first time EVER of driving, city, and road trip, and track...i've ever cracked a wheel. And viewing all the posts, doesn't seem like I'm the only one with the issue.

So was looking into either a replica set, or the replica set PK Auto offers, which are flow formed. I've always been a 5 spoke type guy, but i started getting into the multi spokes with the camaro and using the Apex PS-7 wheels for autoX. they kinda resemble the hellcat slingshot wheels.

Anyone have any suggestions for some of the strongest wheels? i know wheels are a wear and tear item, street or on track, but i can honestly say, i've never seen as many posts on cracks and failures as i have on the WRT models. Almost as many as the new Corvette wheel issues.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I have never seen a single post or heard about anyone cracking a WRT wheel. You have an example?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never seen a single post or heard about anyone cracking a WRT wheel. You have an example?

Tpms hell. | Dodge Challenger Forum (challengertalk.com)

Another cracked rim (scatpackforums.com)

New member from WV, need advice on cracked wheels | Dodge Challenger Forum (challengertalk.com)

Rims cracking | Dodge Challenger Forum (challengertalk.com)

Stock 20” wheel problems | Dodge Charger Forum (chargerforumz.com)

if you check the facebook groups as well, there are plenty of posts and pics as well. i didnt really find out about it till after i got em, although they were a killer deal and couldnt pass up.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
That's nuts, guess I missed all that. A cracking wheel is something you should never have to worry about.

When the WRT came out they were touted as Lightweight and even had it branded on the early wheels, and they weighed 25 lbs vs 29 lbs for the previous 9" wheel, so guess they got em a little too light.

I'd still go with a factory forged wheel and believe the Hellcat Slingshot wheels have been reliable, 20x9.5 with +18.5 mm offset. I've got the same wheels except in Hyperblack and 5 years and 21,000 miles and no issues.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
1,122 Posts
Well, I want to see some more details on this before I condemn a wheel. I also must have missed this in the last year I've been on too. Even so, 10? wheels out of 100,000? I'll bet you I can find more "tire failures" too. We seem to forget that even with annew car, someone else drives it, and will NEVER admit that they damaged something.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you are worried about cracking I'd stay with OEM... I hadn't seen the issues with WRTs I love those wheels, always really liked the style and they fit on either spindle!

Even my 18 inch winter set I use OEM Mopar wheels, they are engineered to much higher standards than most aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are worried about cracking I'd stay with OEM... I hadn't seen the issues with WRTs I love those wheels, always really liked the style and they fit on either spindle!

Even my 18 inch winter set I use OEM Mopar wheels, they are engineered to much higher standards than most aftermarket wheels.
thats the problem...the ones that cracked ARE OEM. its like back with the chrome clads... they also had an issue as well. the metal cracked under the clads, and caused air leakage. which was the issue i had on mine before repair. thought it was a tire puncture. after 3 days, turned out to be a cracked wheel.

and EXACTLY the reason i went with em. they fit the RT setup, and then when i switched to SRT spindles... no issues.

That's nuts, guess I missed all that. A cracking wheel is something you should never have to worry about.

When the WRT came out they were touted as Lightweight and even had it branded on the early wheels, and they weighed 25 lbs vs 29 lbs for the previous 9" wheel, so guess they got em a little too light.

I'd still go with a factory forged wheel and believe the Hellcat Slingshot wheels have been reliable, 20x9.5 with +18.5 mm offset. I've got the same wheels except in Hyperblack and 5 years and 21,000 miles and no issues.

I can deal with a cracked wheel if the wheel was a cheap wheel. wear and tear consumables i can understand. but a forged factory wheel like ya said. thats odd to me, and theres quite a few forums and groups with people dealing with the same. never on the outside lip, JUST the inner barrel.

i really do like the slingshots, i do... and its still an option. i'd love to do a 9.5 square setup with 275 or higher all the way around. i do 60 miles daily, and jan 2 of having the car for 2 years this year due to needing to change for family, i start with 29k, and now at 86k. i do drive a lot, even with the pandemic and not traveling for shows.

the weight, to me is def as important. the dual use as BigM06R/TAWT pointed out was a selling point, and hearing 26 lbs a wheel.... i was sold. on the 2016 camaro i went from stock 5 spoke 18's to Apex PS-7's simple because it was going froma 24 lb cast oem wheel to a 21 lb flow formed wheel with only 0.5 inch width gain. i get these are heavier cars, but everything adds up. just as long as you can find parts strong enough.

i've checked the load rating of a few wheels and am also looking at the HR5 hellraiser

HR5 - Hell Raiser Edition | Hell Raiser and Tires | HR5 Wheels (pkautodesign.com)

or even a set of 18's x 9.5 in Konig Ampliforms, given they clear the 4 piston calipers. thought process is a bit more tire will cushion the wheel better.

Ampliform - Konig Wheels

Well, I want to see some more details on this before I condemn a wheel. I also must have missed this in the last year I've been on too. Even so, 10? wheels out of 100,000? I'll bet you I can find more "tire failures" too. We seem to forget that even with annew car, someone else drives it, and will NEVER admit that they damaged something.
Please, feel free to research it. Ive exhausted myself on it the last 2.5 months after getting my wheel repaired.... and not only have i looked up well more than a handful of posts and pictures on it... the inner barrel specifically... once one becomes the one who had said issue, it kinda gives you a bit more caution towards it. i still have the repaired wheel with tire and tpms in the backseat, while the spare scat wheel without tpms is still on the car.

with forged wheels i've had, even flow forged, the barrels usually BEND not crack... cracked wheels are usually reserved for low or high pressure cast wheels, which is odd. and these are the Chrysler wheels according to the engravement on the barrels. so they aren't some aftermarket switch outs. Something to note, some of the lightweight wheels actually had "lightweight" and "Mopar" engraved/embossed in them on the front face. some didn't. the wheels that i have seen pics of this damage...as well as my own, DID NOT. I'll still keep em, don't plan to sell em, but still want a different wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts