Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mounted the front Hotchkis sways myself, and noted that the bars are really snug in the mounts and bushings.

BUT...I had my mechanic install the rear sway when he did the KWV2 install. I was looking at it yesterday and noticed that the rear sway has TONS of slop in the bushings! I can move the bar in the bushing by just slightly touching it! I'd say theres a good 1/16 inch of clearance between the bushing and the bar! Is this normal?? Why even bother with grease fittings if there's that kind of slop there?

I'm gonna ask the same question to Hotchkis and see what they have to say.
Thanks
Man go Man

·
Registered
85 Posts
I normally tighten the endlinks until the bushings are just slightly squeezed.
There should not be so much slack in the bushings that you can wiggle the bar by hand.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Aren't the grease fittings for the front?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I mounted the front Hotchkis sways myself, and noted that the bars are really snug in the mounts and bushings.

BUT...I had my mechanic install the rear sway when he did the KWV2 install. I was looking at it yesterday and noticed that the rear sway has TONS of slop in the bushings! I can move the bar in the bushing by just slightly touching it! I'd say theres a good 1/16 inch of clearance between the bushing and the bar! Is this normal?? Why even bother with grease fittings if there's that kind of slop there?

I'm gonna ask the same question to Hotchkis and see what they have to say.
Thanks
Man go Man
I Believe that your refering to the swaybar to frame bushings. I think that Hotchkis had an issue with them on the Chargers and have an updated bushing for them. Contact Hotchkis themselves, but i'm fairly sure there is an update. You should not have any play other than rotational on the frame mounts. If you can grab the bar and move it up and down something is bad.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Believe that your refering to the swaybar to frame bushings. I think that Hotchkis had an issue with them on the Chargers and have an updated bushing for them. Contact Hotchkis themselves, but i'm fairly sure there is an update. You should not have any play other than rotational on the frame mounts. If you can grab the bar and move it up and down something is bad.
OH, I can move it plenty! AND its making tons of noise back there when I hit bumps! DAMMIT! Anyhow...I contacted Hotchkis, and they are sending new mounts and bushings! This is a good thing, but NOW, WHO is gonna install these!? Looks like the rear cradle is gonna have to come back off! I'm hoping that maybe I can get to them by simply removing the rear wheel, but its gonna be very tight. Will it be difficult to slide the new bushings on the bar?? I still think Hotchkis should be forking up the $$$ for installation!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I normally tighten the endlinks until the bushings are just slightly squeezed.
There should not be so much slack in the bushings that you can wiggle the bar by hand.

There is no way to tighten the frame mounts to sqeeze the bushings.

The bar can be moved side to side probably half an inch by just barely touching it! After spending $500 for swaybar and KWV2 installation, this is really pi$$ing me off.

·
Registered
342 Posts

The bar can be moved side to side probably half an inch by just barely touching it! After spending $500 for swaybar and KWV2 installation, this is really pi$$ing me off.
Got pictures? Might help ...

·
Registered
531 Posts

does it move up and down, or is it just left to right play that you have? The sway bar may move left to right a bit, that isn't a big issue, up and down movement is.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does it move up and down, or is it just left to right play that you have? The sway bar may move left to right a bit, that isn't a big issue, up and down movement is.
Oh there's room all the way around the bar! It's starting to make so much noise back there whenever I hit bumps, it sounds like the whole rear end is coming off! :(

·
Registered
731 Posts
Aren't the grease fittings for the front?
No....as pointed out they are for the rear. I installed some grease fittings on the front brackets on my SRT-8. I had to tap them into the bracket. Not a big deal but it works great!

As far as the bushings for the rear go.....the bar will move sideways a small amount. Up and down, there should be no movement. It sounds like you have the wrong size bushings sent with your kit or that the bracket wasn't fully tightened.

It's not a big deal to drop the pumpkin (axle)down. You simply unbolt a couple of exhaust hangers an let the exhaust hang down. They it's just a jack and 4 bolts to lower the pumpkin itself. It's a great setup!

:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YEP, as it turns out, Hotchkis DID send me the wrong size...they are spozd to be 3/4" and they sent 7/8". HOtchkis did send replacement bushings at no charge (duh). I have one side done, without removing the cradle!...what a PITA...now on to the drivers side! Word to the wise...always inspect your parts before installation!!!

No....as pointed out they are for the rear. I installed some grease fittings on the front brackets on my SRT-8. I had to tap them into the bracket. Not a big deal but it works great!

As far as the bushings for the rear go.....the bar will move sideways a small amount. Up and down, there should be no movement. It sounds like you have the wrong size bushings sent with your kit or that the bracket wasn't fully tightened.

It's not a big deal to drop the pumpkin (axle)down. You simply unbolt a couple of exhaust hangers an let the exhaust hang down. They it's just a jack and 4 bolts to lower the pumpkin itself. It's a great setup!

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts