Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new charger in for an inspection so that i could get it insured. and then they ran the VIn number the report came back that it had been WRITTEN OFF!!!!! now my insurance company wont even look at it. I'm screwed. what do i do?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I took my new charger in for an inspection so that i could get it insured. and then they ran the VIn number the report came back that it had been WRITTEN OFF!!!!! now my insurance company wont even look at it. I'm screwed. what do i do?
Hire a lawyer.....or blow em up!

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this but it does explain the mods that have been done to the car. Probably put back together that way after it was written off

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
We check if the vehicle has been recorded as written-off or a total loss by an insurance company due to a damage or theft-related insurance claim. A damage-related insurance claim means the insurer has decided that the vehicle is uneconomical to repair. You should only proceed with the purchase once you are satisfied that the repairs have been carried out to a high standard and that the car is roadworthy. A theft-related insurance claim indicates that the vehicle has been stolen and an insurance company has paid out a claim on it and has become the legal owner. It may have been recovered in tact and returned to the road, or in a damaged condition.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
found that using google, not sure if that is the cse in her case though

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they didnt give me any details. just that they wont insure my car. the car looks wonderful. i havnt noticed anything wrong with it. and i even had my certified mechanic father look through it, thats why we didnt get a history check done on it in the first place, he was confident he would be able to tell if it had any damage anywhere.
so now i'm stuck with a beautiful charger that no insurance company will insure.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
If you just bought this car, I'd start by bringing it back to the dealer (or person who sold it to you) right away. If they won't talk to you - call the police! Also...

Buy a carfax report (or the equivalent in Canada) to see if there's anything on there (accident history, flood damage, salvage title, etc.). If there is and it wasn't disclosed at the time of sale you may have a case. If there isn't anything... it could be a simple case of somebody imputing the VIN incorrectly. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Agreed with the above; please get the Carfax report and see what you find.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
caveat emptor... let the buyer beware

·
Registered
42 Posts
i'm sure its possible to get it insured,but it will cost a bit of cash.its similiar to an out of province safety,but even more detailed.i think its over $500,but that gets the vehicle recertified as road worthy and gets government approved then insurance can be applied for

·
Registered
173 Posts
Take it back to them fools who sold it to you , When you meanwritten off , do you mean Salvaged ? Or marked a Scrap title ?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
If a reputable and certified shop did the repairs, you can at least get a "rebuilt title" and be able to get it insured... in most states. If not, I'd be contacting the person I bought it from and inquiring as to why it was not disclosed that the Charger was a previous total loss.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
OP is in Alberta, so our laws aren't going to help much. Several states do not have a rebuilt, totaled, etc title, and people that want to "wash" a title will move it through those states. Those states also do not require the vehicle status be disclosed to a potential purchaser, and you are on your own when buying a vehicle, with little or no recourse. There's been a big push to go to a national auto registry, just for this reason, but there's enough of a push back, it still hasn't happened.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
In ALberta it you trade in your car to a dealer you have to by law declare if it has ever been written off. I think as a private party seller you do as well. If she bought this car from a dealer and the dealer did not disclose to her that it's been written off they are in trouble.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If I'm not mistaken it has to be disclosed at time of sale or you can go back to them and basically get money back. You mean salvage title I assume, as in, it's been totalled...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts