Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this morning, I had to go to a Cadillac/Hummer dealer (if you live in the Rochester, NY area, there's only one so you'll know which one I'm talking about) to turn in one of my customer's cars...it was an 04 CTS.

Now, first, let me say this dealer showroom was FRIGGIN IMMACULATE!!! I don't think the floors were marble, but they were shinny. Being a guy, I like shinny. The cars were all neatly arranged, and all of the salespeople had nice glass enclosed offices with some type of wood accent. Inside, their offices were just as nice, with maple wood furniture, paintings, and other "upscale" items. Even the carpet was nice. It really looked upscale and classy. And, it should seeing as how the client base is as such. Really NICE looking place...not that where I work is slack cuz it's not. It's actually one of the cleanest, nicest dealerships I've ever been in and it's about to get a remodeling so it can only go up.

Aaaaaaanywho, I went to turn in a car, and I get there and nobody says anything to me. That's a pet peve of mine. If you don't know me, treat me like my money is important cuz I might be inclined to spend some with you. Also, EVERYDAY I come to work, I'm in a nice suit and tie, I'm very clean cut, so I looked like I could be a potential customer.

Anyway I walked around aimlessly for a few minutes, looking for someone to assist me. Mind you, at least 6 people looked me dead in the face and made no movements to help me. Finally, I find a person and she pages a man that I'd been looking for (I called about this earlier by the way so they'd know I was coming). He's a no show. Now, I'm a bit pissed. But, I'm a professional even if those who I deal with aren't, so I ask for more assistance. finally, after about 20-30 minutes, I get assisted.

Now, nobody knew I was there for a lease turn-in on a customer I stole from them cuz I didn't show it. I actually acted like a customer for a few minutes just to see if they'd at least say "hi". But nothing. After talking to them, they weren't really mean people or anything. But, if I were ever to buy a Cadillac, based on my experience with them, I wouldn't. One thing I can't stand is bad customer service. I think that's one of the reasons I greet everyone that crosses my path at work, whether they're in a suit, or covered in grease, cuz I know that's how I'd want to be treated. It really pissed me off.

If I ever encountered such a thing with the Charger, I wouldn't own one. I only know of ONE Dodge dealership in the area with good customer service...and actually, I only get treated the way I do cuz the GM knows my dad. So, yeah...they kinda suk too. But, at least they don't suck to me.

-done-

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's sad to say but your experience is far too common in this day and age.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me at dodge. Now i understand im only 17 but still like you said you never NEVER know who may walk through your door. i was looking at a black srt trading up from my sxt (3 months later) my dad wanted to make sure he could trust me with it before he bought a HEMI. so im lookin at a plum crazy and a sales person walks over to me and goes "You cant sit in it till you can afforad it,the used car lot is over there and he turns and laughs".so at this point im furious i told him my name (if you are from around here you would know it). So the salesman goes o im sorry sir would you like a bottle of water i said in some choice words starts with a F and ends in you. i said weres your manager he goes o hes not here of course its a lie i find someone else that says his desk is right back there i told him the story he said this is unaceptable and says im going to send him home. I said no dont do that just tell. sooo long story short my dad bought me a black srt8 LOADED.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A thing you have to remember...

Salesmen dont have souls.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A thing you have to remember...

Salesmen dont have souls.

OMG LOLZ!!! You know, a lot of people seem to have that impression of our profession. I'm trying to change that one person at a time. But, I must admit, the vast majority of my peers are rather soulless. Sad really. It makes it hard for the few of us that are honest hard working individuals trying to just provide for our families. Funny to say, I normally don't like salesmen myself. Ironically, it's this job that allows me to be able to afford my lifestyle. Really ironic. :confused:

·
Registered
276 Posts
OMG LOLZ!!! You know, a lot of people seem to have that impression of our profession. I'm trying to change that one person at a time. But, I must admit, the vast majority of my peers are rather soulless. Sad really. It makes it hard for the few of us that are honest hard working individuals trying to just provide for our families. Funny to say, I normally don't like salesmen myself. Ironically, it's this job that allows me to be able to afford my lifestyle. Really ironic. :confused:
True, I am in sales myself and I have to constantly keep my ego in check because of the kinda deals I work. Sometimes I get over confident and really see myself as an [email protected] then I realize what I am working for. I am in the business of making businesses money.

·
Registered
199 Posts
17 and dad bought you an SRT.

wow
wanna have an adopted older brother?
Make that two adopted brothers. When Chargertrev said he dropped his name in the dealership and the salesman almost blew a gasket, I immediately pictured the little town from the Patrick Swayze movie 'Roadhouse', and Chargertrev's daddy being Brad Wesley. Of course Trev is too young to understand this late 80's reference.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Thats so funny.. I thought of the same exact movie. How the nephew thought he was entitled just because of who his uncle was.
Hope this youngster learns to earn his own car someday.
My son is working for his car, has been since he turned 14.
I will help him..as its an excuse to build another hotrod... but I want him to feel the pride of doing it himself.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me at dodge. Now i understand im only 17 but still like you said you never NEVER know who may walk through your door. i was looking at a black srt trading up from my sxt (3 months later) my dad wanted to make sure he could trust me with it before he bought a HEMI. so im lookin at a plum crazy and a sales person walks over to me and goes "You cant sit in it till you can afforad it,the used car lot is over there and he turns and laughs".so at this point im furious i told him my name (if you are from around here you would know it). So the salesman goes o im sorry sir would you like a bottle of water i said in some choice words starts with a F and ends in you. i said weres your manager he goes o hes not here of course its a lie i find someone else that says his desk is right back there i told him the story he said this is unaceptable and says im going to send him home. I said no dont do that just tell. sooo long story short my dad bought me a black srt8 LOADED.

yea sure
so what really happened?:lol:

jus messin

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
When visiting a dealer, I dunno what's worse, having 5 guys coming up to you as soon as you walk in (trying to sell you a car), or being ignored.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The thing that would have p*ssed me off would have been the ones that looked me in the eye but never said anything.

I kinda felt bad when I bought my Charger... 3 salesmen had to share the commission. It seemed like each time I went there the last salesman I worked with was busy so a new guy would have to help me... at least they were all really cool about it. =)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Similar thing happened to me but it was buying a boat (worth much more than the SRT)

Went into local boat dealer, was dressed as a boater would be dressed, shorts and a nice T shirt.
Looked at the boats in the showroom and all the while 4 salesmen were talking to them selves having a coffee in the corner of the showroom
I was the only customer in the place at the time.
I found what I was looking for, a very nice boat equipt the way i wanted it and proceeded to look it over.
Still no salesman said anything or even came over, they just watched me from the far side of the showroom.
I waited a while longer, still no service, so I stood there and looked right at them, the just turned away and kept chatting.

I then climbed out of the boat and proceeded to the exit, as i reached the door, one of them yelled across the showroom "Can i help you?"
My reply was blunt and short, "Nope, too late, you just lost an $80,000 sale"
He than ran across the showroom and chased me int the parking lot
I explained that being ignored and then yelled at rudely would not get them the sale.
I left and bought it at another dealer that was very polite and professional.
At the marina, i happened to run into that salesman, "I just said, See what ignorance cost you!"

·
Registered
149 Posts
Having Purchased 14 autos in the last 5 years I have become Jaded with sales reps. I have attempted to be loyal to sales reps at certain dealerships but they never seem to last that long. The newer reps are the ones who are the nicest and are the most sincere. The vet reps. are the ones who stare at you and will not even smile from a distance. They Suck!! They profile you as soon as you enter. If you enter with intent you will be avoided and ignored. If you gaze at a vehicle outside and stare at on on the inside they become like flies in the dumpster.

I have walked out of dealerships telling the rep were I was going with my business after being profiled. They always seem to laugh or engage in some shunning activity. I will visit the next dealer show them the vehicle online in stock at the previous place and go from there. Then I make sure I fill out a survey and send a corporate letter to the dealer that lost my business. Car buying is time consuming, doubling up on that time is down right costly!

I have been loyal to the Chrysler brand for 5 years now, however I have also been let down repeatedly with insults, sarcasm and careless profiling. Then after purchasing the many vehicles comes the high pressure upsell for everything from extended warranty to gap insurance and whatever else.

I now get emails and junk mail from six (6) different Chrysler dealers as well as courtesy phone calls for service and new sales events. It still does not improve the customer service at these dealerships. And that is a contributing factor to the demise of these manufacturers.

I own a business that is service based and requires smiling and appreciating your customers. My employees know how important that is and they will be launched to their next employment option if they are disrespectful.

I also respect sales people who are working with another client and will certainly let them give that client all the attention they require to close the sale. I have purchase power and have flexed it a few times but it always seems you have to play the games first which I hate.

I have looked for the 5 star rating but still am vague on what that really means. OK to much said already and I dont even feel like I have gotten started. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Having Purchased 14 autos in the last 5 years I have become Jaded with sales reps. I have attempted to be loyal to sales reps at certain dealerships but they never seem to last that long. The newer reps are the ones who are the nicest and are the most sincere. The vet reps. are the ones who stare at you and will not even smile from a distance. They Suck!! They profile you as soon as you enter. If you enter with intent you will be avoided and ignored. If you gaze at a vehicle outside and stare at on on the inside they become like flies in the dumpster.

I have walked out of dealerships telling the rep were I was going with my business after being profiled. They always seem to laugh or engage in some shunning activity. I will visit the next dealer show them the vehicle online in stock at the previous place and go from there. Then I make sure I fill out a survey and send a corporate letter to the dealer that lost my business. Car buying is time consuming, doubling up on that time is down right costly!

I have been loyal to the Chrysler brand for 5 years now, however I have also been let down repeatedly with insults, sarcasm and careless profiling. Then after purchasing the many vehicles comes the high pressure upsell for everything from extended warranty to gap insurance and whatever else.

I now get emails and junk mail from six (6) different Chrysler dealers as well as courtesy phone calls for service and new sales events. It still does not improve the customer service at these dealerships. And that is a contributing factor to the demise of these manufacturers.

I own a business that is service based and requires smiling and appreciating your customers. My employees know how important that is and they will be launched to their next employment option if they are disrespectful.

I also respect sales people who are working with another client and will certainly let them give that client all the attention they require to close the sale. I have purchase power and have flexed it a few times but it always seems you have to play the games first which I hate.

I have looked for the 5 star rating but still am vague on what that really means. OK to much said already and I dont even feel like I have gotten started. Sorry for the long post.
You don't even have to go to the showroom to have them act stupid.

I did the online thing for my Charger when I was looking... Sent requests to TWO dealers in town. The one kept sending me emails about Magnums and the other about Chargers... guess which one I bought at.

And I KEPT replying to emails that I DID NOT WANT A MAGNUM I WANT A CHARGER. They still kept sending emails saying "we have that Magnum you want!"

I finally sent an email to the GM of the dealership saying that I bought a car... please leave me along.

I came home last night and the GM called the house asking how they could earn my business and sell me that Magnum...

WTF?!??!?!

·
Registered
149 Posts
It all is somed up by that Military Officer in New Orleans who was addressing the media after Huricane Katrina. A bone headed question was asked, and his response was........"Are you stuck on stupid" I believe they are all stuck and buried deep!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
somed? I meant summed. jeesh.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
When I was shopping for a new Harley in 2003, I went to a well known Harley dealership in Atlanta (actually Lithia Springs). Those who live around here would know it.
I was looking for an 04 FLRCI (Road King Classic).
They had exactly what I wanted sitting on the floor, so I'm checking it out, looking it up and down.
A sales rep comes up to me and starts telling me all about the bike...so I ask him what the asking price is and he quotes me $22k. Now this is for a bike that lists for 17k, and the one in front of me is bone stock.
I know that Harley's had been going pretty strong over list, but I ask him "Can we get a little closer to list price?"
He laughs at me and says "If you go to Iowa!" then turns and walks off.
I went home and started emailing all of the dealerships within 250 miles of the house.
2 days later (Friday) I picked up my 04 FLHRCI at Chatahoochee HD in Columbus, GA. I paid list price for it.
The next day I rode to the HD dealer in Atlanta (well, really Lithia Springs), went in and asked for the Sales Manager.
I met her outside to show her my new bike, handed her the salesman's business card that been so rude to me and asked her to thank him for helping me save $5,000 by buying the bike somewhere else.
You should have seen the look on her face!
To this day, I refuse to buy anything from their dealership...not even a T-shirt.
What really sucks (for them) is they sponsor the H.O.G. chapter I'm a member of!

I'm in sales myself and cannot stand rude and impatient sales persons.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
OK honestly in all fairness to the people in the dealership...from what i gathered from this post you seem to be a young kid...now dressed nice or not...you walking into a showroom, not to mention a cadillac showroom...the people arent really gonna jump outta their chairs to assist a young kid who is wandering around aimlessly...you should have walked in there with a sense of you knew what you were doing...immediately ask questions...get right to the point of why you are there...you said you were turning a car in for a customer...regardless of what they said to you...ido see your point here where when you said they were kinda ignorant...like they had no idea what you were talking about, that doesnt even matter...what matters is you have a car for them and they were being a$$es...just unprofessional in my opinion...not really horrible...sorry to say but if you were a little older and presented yourself better when you walked in you might have had different results....Now i only say this b/c of experience in dealerships...selling cars...and having friends and family in the business...im not intending on offending anyone here im just stating what goes on inside dealerships, and how business is conducted...

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Well, he's got a right to expect service regardless of age alhtough I know people judge on appearance right away. I was wondering if maybe some of the dealership staff knew he was in the business and not a buyer.

Selling anything is tough - especially if you have integrity. I couldn't hack it.

I sold cars about 20 years ago. I was young and we had 18 Buick Grand Nationals in the yard. All other dealerships had one or two if that.
The old farts I worked with could not sell one. Why? Because every 18-25 year old that came in for a GN they dimissed and told to go see the used car guy. I knew the cars and never prejudged the buyers. I sold every single one of the GN's at sticker with no BS from the young guys who bought them. They were just happy someone was willing to take them seriously. Some came in dirty from work but, for example, one guy was a firefighter, one owned his own landscaping business etc. They all had the money and knew more about the car then any of the salesmen.
They all had the same complaint that nobody would answer their questions about the car or even let them see one!
Learned a valuable lesson there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts