Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - my 2016 Dodge charger has some vinyl on the hood with the word HEMI that has a bunch of sun spots and fading. In the past I had similar issues with piano black trim on other vehicles. Scared to try compound or polish on the vinyl. This is my first time trying to make vinyl look new so am hoping for suggestions on products and approaches. I currently have a griots 3 inch Random Orbiter with the 3 inch orange pad and their complete compound. I can't really tell if the vinyl is supposed to be matte or glossy. I think glossy but read that the restoration steps vary based on this very important point. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
484 Posts
You can polish decals with a very light polishing compound. However.... this will only work on a gloss finish! This YT video is terrible in that it should have mentioned this at the start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think the marks shown in the picture are hard water marks? If so, can I use white vinegar to clean it? Now sure if vinegar is ok on vinyl.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Do you think the marks shown in the picture are hard water marks? If so, can I use white vinegar to clean it? Now sure if vinegar is ok on vinyl.
Vinegar isn't going to hurt vinyl, but won't do anything against baked on hard water marks. Just follow the video I posted. It's pretty straight forward.

Reactions: Miami Canuck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The video gave me the confidence to try fixing it. The ultra fine polishing compound in the video was sold out and from an expensive brand, so I went with meguires mirror glaze 210 (professional ultra pro finishing polish) which I think is their newest formulation and has a very fine polishing capability. I also used the same black finishing pads shown in the video with a 3 inch random orbital polisher kit from Griot's Garage. Here are the results.

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Automotive tire Liquid Fluid Font Gas

Red Bumper Font Carton Packaging and labeling

Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts