Charger Forums banner

Has anyone attempted to steal your Charger? Scat Packs and Hellcats only.

• No, never.

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • Yes, but they were unsuccessful because of security features (alarm, RF module lock, NS cover, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I caught them in the act and stopped it.

• Yes, and the car was never recovered (or was totaled).

• Yes, and the car was recovered.

Votes: 1 5.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see stories about it constantly, and there are a lot of posts about it on this forum. I don't even have Facebook or other social media, but I assume it's nonstop on there too. How bad IS the theft problem with the SPs and Hellcats? Really?

I'm almost to the point I'm considering cancelling my order, because this car is supposed to be a fun treat for myself. I don't want my entire ownership experience to amount to me worrying nonstop every time I leave it in a parking lot. I live in one of the nicer parts of DFW in a house, and I have a garage. No apartment or community lots. I'm not particularly concerned with someone attempting to take it of my garage, because that would be a terrible idea for the person who tried it.

What I am worried about is having to drive to less awesome parts of town and having the car disappear 10 minutes after I park it or having to constantly replace windows as another poster on here has had. I already told the dealer I want the RF module locked and I was planning on investing in the Destroyer1320 neutral cover plate. However, neither of these things will stop anyone from busting the window out to try and program a new key or get it into neutral before being thwarted.

I figured an informal poll would be helpful. Has anyone ever attempted to steal your car? Preferably SP and HC owners, as the 6.2/6.4 cars seem to be the ones most sought after by the crims.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I've never had an issue. I live about 30 minutes outside of Reading, PA which has issues with cars being stolen, but I'm in a small town with 1 stop light. I have a 2 car garage, buy my wife parks there.

If you can garage it, or park in a driveway and you're in a low crime area I wouldn't be that paranoid. I mean shit can happen. If I lived near any sort of urban area I wouldn't buy one, or any nice car, ever.

Reactions: safetypilotcal

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
It depends on which research/news article, and how they compile the data/statistics, as to which cars are on the list. Two articles for "most popular stolen cars 2022" produce two completely different lists.

The Top 10 Most Stolen Cars as of 2022
  1. Chevrolet Pickup
  2. Ford Pickup
  3. Honda Civic
  4. Honda Accord
  5. Toyota Camry
  6. GMC Pickup
  7. Nissan Altima
  8. Honda CR-V
  9. Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
  10. Toyota Corolla
The top stolen vehicles for model years 2019-21:
  1. Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
  2. Dodge Charger HEMI
  3. Infiniti Q50
  4. Dodge Challenger
  5. Land Rover Range Rover four-wheel drive
  6. Land Rover Range Rover Sport 4WD
  7. Nissan Maxima
  8. Kia Rio
  9. Dodge Charger
  10. Honda Accord
  11. BMW X7 4WD
  12. Chrysler 300
  13. Kia Sportage
  14. Ram 3500 crew cab LWB 4WD
  15. Ford F-350 SuperCrew 4WD
  16. Kia Sportage 4WD
  17. Ford F-250 SuperCrew 4WD
  18. Honda CR-V
  19. Dodge Durango 4WD
  20. Hyundai Accent

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
The 2nd list is the nicer cars!

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Meh.

Math. These numbers are adjusted for miles-driven. Imagine you've got one of only two of a particular car and the other one got stolen. With miles-driven, your car would be way, way, way up on the list. I mean... 50% theft-rate? Wow. But... what are the real odds of your car being stolen? In absolute terms, not that high.

Unless you live somewhere crappy and/or have really bad parking circumstances, you'll probably be just fine.

·
Registered
2020 Charger SXT Plus AWD - Frostbite/Black
214 Posts
Canceling your order because the car might be stolen? It might get in an accident, it might get damaged by hail, it might have a mechanical problem...there is no risk-free scenario to car ownership. That's what insurance is for!
P.S. Your build is great, don't cancel it!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Keep the car and take delivery. Looks like my build.

it will come with the RF hub update but I wouldn’t depend on that.

Your poll want tell you what you want.
Get the TDS Neutral plate (Widebody Nation has a discount code) as it’s way to easy to pop the rubber cover, open the door and yank the release. I’m thinking of making a thick AL plate to make it more difficult. Use obscure security screws, grind the head LOL for more deterrence.

Alarm with motion
Keyfobs in shield pouches.
Kill Switch
Club (visible deterrent)
GPS Travker
OBD relocate. Place in box.
Smith & Wesson

Glass can be replaced. Latest they climb in thru sunroof.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, fellas. I think the most useful metric would be the number of cars sold vs. how many were stolen. The raw number of stolen cars isn't helpful, since the cars they make the most of (F-150s and Silverados and RAMs) will always top that list.

Either way, maybe I'm freaked out about nothing. The forum and social media are relatively small microcosms of an otherwise large community of Charger owners. There are tens of thousands of SPWBs and HCs that get driven daily and don't have problems. I wish FCA wouldn't have made these things such an easy target, but then again, my GC Trailhawk is just as easy to steal and nobody has touched it (and tons of GCs are stolen every year).

I should probably just learn to relax and enjoy the car once it shows up. Although now I'm questioning what interest rates are going to look like when it does :)

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
My memory is fading but I thought we had a member a couple years ago who's car was heisted or attempted from their work parking lot and got it on closed circuit camera and even posted it on the forum.

Anyone recall?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think it’s somewhat area dependent. You don’t see many Chargers where I live and have heard of them being particularly targeted.

I only have a Charger Redeye so it’s my daily driver. Haven’t had any issues with it in the little over a year I’ve owned it. I had a Charger SPWB for about 1.5 yrs and didn’t have any issue with that either..

Weird thing is I live in an area where it is not uncommon to see BMWs parked on the street overnight, along with Teslas, and Porsches and I don’t think I’ve heard of any being stolen.

Meanwhile I did just hear about a neighbor who had their Honda Pilot stolen out of their garage.

So my advice is, buy it, insure it, and enjoy it. You can’t predict what will happen.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
It’s definitely not just Chargers but they are high value and in demand now.

A couple of miles away in the suburbs a homeowner caught his car being stolen on the Ring cam. Hoodie young ones walking down the street with a signal extender until they reach a key FOB and get a car in the driveway to open doors and remote start. Gone in seconds and buddies get in for a joyride.

Other scenarios with bubble head with a backpack walking up drive at 3am towards vehicle and Ring spotlight turns on and perp scoots away.

I’d have a 2nd daily driver to take to the mall, Walmart, convenience store etc. Some low life backed into my daily at a pharmacy and took off. Notified the store manager and cop came. Billion dollar corporation and zero camera eyes on the parking lot. Why?

Bought a couple of dual 4K dash cams after that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My car is always garaged at my home so the only opportunity for theft is when shopping, but I never worry about it here in the FL Panhandle. Seems pretty safe here and I try and avoid bad neighborhoods or high crime areas. If we drove to New Orleans or Atlanta for example, I'd be more worried about getting carjacked than anything. I could definitely see that happening since the SPWB Charger's a hot car.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
2,044 Posts
I don't drive my car to work. I don't daly drive it either. I take it out some nights to pick my daughter up from work. I'll take it to the store and it sits in their parking lot for maybe 5-15 minutes.
I rarely go anyway where it's gonna sit unattended for hours. I have however taken it on overnight trips, 2 day trips and to company picnics.

So far so good. But I was on YouTube one night and went down the theft rabbit hole bad. video after video with different people talking about how the HEMI versions of our cars are being stolen at a very nigh rate and it's just getting worse.

This worried me and I've been worrying anytime I take it anywhere and park it. We usually take my wife's car which is still a Charger and it's plum crazy purple so it gets a lot of attention BUT it's a V6 AWD model and I don't think they are being stolen at the same rate the HEMI models are. So I feel much more comfortable taking her Car when we go out.
We still park it away from people so it doesn't get a door ding or a scratch.

I'm sure the Hellcats are the worse as they get the most attention especially if you have a HOT color. The one thing I like about my 2020 Scat Pack is it's black and doesn't stand out like Go Mango or Hell Raisin would.

·
Registered
'22 SPWB +, Octane Red, Carbon stripes, H/K audio, MSG wheels. Delivered and picking up April 29th.
165 Posts
I see stories about it constantly, and there are a lot of posts about it on this forum. I don't even have Facebook or other social media, but I assume it's nonstop on there too. How bad IS the theft problem with the SPs and Hellcats? Really?

I'm almost to the point I'm considering cancelling my order, because this car is supposed to be a fun treat for myself. I don't want my entire ownership experience to amount to me worrying nonstop every time I leave it in a parking lot. I live in one of the nicer parts of DFW in a house, and I have a garage. No apartment or community lots. I'm not particularly concerned with someone attempting to take it of my garage, because that would be a terrible idea for the person who tried it.

What I am worried about is having to drive to less awesome parts of town and having the car disappear 10 minutes after I park it or having to constantly replace windows as another poster on here has had. I already told the dealer I want the RF module locked and I was planning on investing in the Destroyer1320 neutral cover plate. However, neither of these things will stop anyone from busting the window out to try and program a new key or get it into neutral before being thwarted.

I figured an informal poll would be helpful. Has anyone ever attempted to steal your car? Preferably SP and HC owners, as the 6.2/6.4 cars seem to be the ones most sought after by the crims.
I think the '22 Deluxe security suite will greatly reduce thefts. Including non fob duplicating (must replace module), glass breakage sensor, inclination sensor, valet mode amongst others. Previous models can get updates for valet mode. Let's hope!

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
I hear you and really hope auto makers can thwart high tech thievery. But it seems no matter how more advanced the automaker get the thieves very quickly catch up.

I sort of chuckled when I read "22 Deluxe security suite". It sounds like a McAfee or Norton anti virus software package. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts