Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used a Mobil 1 M1-210 filter for my first oil change, but I prefer Wix filters. The Wix site shows part #57899 and I think #51372 will work and is a little taller.

Does anyone have a list of larger capacity oil filters?

·
Registered
446 Posts
M1-301 is Mobil 1's high capacity filter for us, I don't think it is as big as the large WIX/NAPA gold high capacity, but it's quite a bit bigger than the M1-210.

Eric

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
M1-301 is Mobil 1's high capacity filter for us, I don't think it is as big as the large WIX/NAPA gold high capacity, but it's quite a bit bigger than the M1-210.

Eric
The directly correlation to the M1-301 is the Wix/Napa part number 51515/1515.

There are eve higher capacity filters out there but you make the tradeoff in that those filters have a lower filtration rating, meaning they allow larger particles through. That is certainly the case for the WIX and Napa as WIX gives the specs on their website, not sure about the Mobil1.

These part numbers are only for the older Chargers that don't use a metric sized filter that was a mid year change in 2007 iirc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, the M1-301 won't work on a 2008. It's got the older threads?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
So, the M1-301 won't work on a 2008. It's got the older threads?
Correct it won't work. That Mobil filter you reference is the metric version... maybe someone with a newer charger can step in and help out.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I use nothing but Mobil1 or K&N filters on my truck. I tried a Wix filter one time because everyone raves about them so much. I'll never buy another one again. Whether it is or not, the WIX filter just felt cheaper compared to the Mobiil1. It was noticeably lighter and didn't feel as sturdy in my hands.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Longer Oil Filters!

I used a Mobil 1 M1-210 filter for my first oil change, but I prefer Wix filters. The Wix site shows part #57899 and I think #51372 will work and is a little taller.

Does anyone have a list of larger capacity oil filters?
WIX 51773 will hold an extra quart, I personally run it in my '07 SRT-8 Super Bee.
Here is what else I have, from another source:

:biggrinjester::biggrinjester:
I do not know if any of these 'long' oil filters for older Dodge engines will help with selecting the longest one for a 5.7 Hemi but I repost them here in case someone needs part numbers to begin looking at:
=============================
WIX Oil Filter #'s
1.) “Factory Standard” Short-51085
Height: 3.790
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=15/28
Burst Pressure-PSI: 365
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 20

2.) Short (?)-51068
Height: 4.338
Beta Ratio: 2/20=10/26
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Nominal Micron Rating: 19
3.) “Standard old” Long-51515 (Additional ½ quart over “Factory Stock”, Used in 1968-1974 Factory Big Block V-8’s)
Height: 5.178
Outer Diameter: 3.660
Beta Ratio: 2/20=13/23
Burst Pressure-PSI: 270
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

4) Extra Long-51773 (Additional 1 quart over “Factory Stock”, additional ½ quart over “Old Standard” used in 1968-1974 Big Block V-8’s)
Height: 6.982
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663
Burst Pressure-PSI: 225
Nominal Micron Rating: 30

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

===============

Long Filters

Mobil One: M1-301
Bosch: 3500

Short Filters

Mobil One M1-204
Bosch: 3402

================

The NAPA # for the short SB oil filter is 1085. I hope this helps you.
If you have room, the wix long truck style filter part number is 1515
=========================

Filter cross-reference : MOTORCRAFT FL1A

Part : LF3313
Manufacturer : FLEETGUARD
Part Type : Lube, Full-Flow Spin-On
Crosses : Motorcraft FL1A
ADBV : Yes
BPV Setting : 69kPa (10.01PSI)
Overall Height : 137.16mm (5.4in)
Largest OD : 96.01mm (3.78in)
Thread Size : 3/4-16 UNF-2B
---------------------------------------

The WIX 51773 and the NAPA 1773 (made by WIX/DANA) is the same base diameter and thread as the PH43 and the PH8, but is longer and holds 1 1/2 quarts of oil. It will "mount" in all Chrysler and Ford applications, the problem comes in with the canister length - often too long and hits one thing or another.

The WIX 51773 fits (and will install in) all small block Dodge
trucks before 1994 and some post 1994 trucks. It will also "fit" big blocks
as long as the transmission cooler lines and radiator shroud can clear, but
it is hit or miss, you have to check your personal application. In the
application catalogs the WIX 51773 is listed for 'heavy duty Ford trucks.'

I took a canister measurement of the WIX 51773 and compared them to other Mopar filters below....
Mopar "shorty" filter # 5281090 is approximately 3 7/8" long, holds 1/2
quart Mopar "long" filter # J8990499 is approximately 5 1/4" long, holds 1
quart WIX 51773 (or NAPA 1773) is approximately 7 1/8" long, holds 1 1/2
quarts. All three of the above filters have the same base diameter and
thread.
================

If the V-6 can use the same filter as the V-8s and V-10,
a Dana/Wix 51515
(or NAPA 1515)
or a Purolator 30001 fits well.
-------------------------------------

Hastings AF387
Wix 46298

------------------
There are two filters that are larger than stock,
that have been used. I use the medium sized one,
the large one was to big for my application.
99 CC V8 5sp 2wd

Part #'s for the medium filter are
WIX 51068
Purolator PL20081 (pure1)
Fram PH43
Motorcraft FL300
NAPA 1068
AC PF20
Big A? 92068
Carquest 85068
----------------------

For the large 1qt filters
Purolator L30001
Mobil 1 M1-301

-----------------
WIX part # 51452.
its almost twice as long as the standard replacement filter, holds additional half of a quart of oil.
Height: 5.178
Burst Pressure-PSI: 415

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

for an application, ask for a filter for a 1995 Ram 3500 V-10.
Heavy-duty if they ask.
i tried different brands, and can't find anyone else that offers a filter that
is bigger than the v-8's for the V-10's.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I just bought a mobil 210 for my next change......never used one befor, but i`m die hard mobil 1 when it comes to motor oil and willnot use anything else, not even royal P. So what size is the 210...medium?

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
wow, a few years ago people were crapping their pants over 7 qts , now people want 8 and a half :lol:

Like stated 08 vs 06-07 are different filters

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I've used the Fram HP1 and PH8A filters, and the Purolator L30001 with no problems. The longer filters are easier to reach when it's time to change them. The HP1 has a rounded, smooth bottom so it is harder to grip than the fluted bottoms on most other filters.

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
I know this is about filters so I will simply say that any filter that is 19 micron or higher but not more than 35 micron is acceptable. However 19 micron is like filtering a basketball with a watermain pipe. The goal is to stop the wear with the best lubricant, not to filter it.

Mopar, NAPA, Purolator, Wix, Hastings, AC, Xtra Wear Gard Fram are all good acceptable filters. Just make sure whatever filter you decide on has an anti-drainback valve. Real real important here.

Thanks
Brian
440-821-9040:bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Why do you want the extra capacity?? I guess I've never really figured that one out. The engines were designed to ruin with a certain amount of fluid using a certain filter. I'm sure the system works just fine the way it was designed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure the system will work fine the way it is. The car will also run just fine without a programmer, headers, or performance mufflers. To each his own. Maybe I'm wrong, but a larger filter will hold more only and should filter better. The stock filter just seems so small for a large engine with a 7 quart capacity.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Filtering ability of the filter has nothing to do with the size of the case.
To an extent yes... But you are certainly right more filtration area won't make it filter better, just let it filter the same amount for a longer time before the filter media clogs up and the filter goes into continuous bypass mode (although I'm not sure how much time or miles that actually takes to happen).

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
there are millions and millions of cars with filters the size of ours and smaller. i've never replaced a motor due to oil filter size failure

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
To an extent yes... But you are certainly right more filtration area won't make it filter better, just let it filter the same amount for a longer time before the filter media clogs up and the filter goes into continuous bypass mode (although I'm not sure how much time or miles that actually takes to happen).
I highly doubt anyone on this forum, especially the guys wanting to run the larger filters would ever run the oil in thier cars long enough to worry about clogging up the stock size filter and putting it into constant bypass mode.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I'm just looking for a larger filter with more capacity. The 210 is a pretty small filter.
External filter size and total surface are of the filter media are unrelated. Unless you can do a total surface area and filter efficiency comparison, you are just judging the book by it's cover.

What is most important that the oil filtering capacity isn't exceeded by the total volume of particulates filtered. In other words, change your filter and oil often and you will NEVER have to worry that you have reached the limit of the filter.

Brian was right, it's particle size being filtered that is more important to protect the engine. Having a fifty gallon jug vs. a 5 gallon jug doesn't matter when you only have 2 gallons that it needs to hold.

The down side to a bigger filter is that you may be reducing the oil pressure in the system or at least trying something the SRT designers never intended. Do you want to be the guinea pig?? OINK!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts