Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres a guy that wants to race saying he all motor and runs 108 oct. Sounds like a set up, am i missing something?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
He probably uses some off-the-shelf "octane boost" and recites to you what it says on the bottle. On the flip side some people do buy and use race fuel.

If he's gunning for you as if it's going to be a challenge, he ought be worrying about other mods to make his car faster instead of blowing money on supposed race fuel (especially if it's in his daily car). Something that's not running 10's would make me question why it would need it, and if he does have a 10 sec car why would he pick on a motor modded RT?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He probably uses some off-the-shelf "octane boost" and recites to you what it says on the bottle. On the flip side some people do buy and use race fuel.

If he's gunning for you as if it's going to be a challenge, he ought be worrying about other mods to make his car faster instead of blowing money on supposed race fuel (especially if it's in his daily car). Something that's not running 10's would make me question why it would need it, and if he does have a 10 sec car why would he pick on a motor modded RT?

And he put up a decent wager, but ill catch him and check it out at a meet or car show

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Theres a guy that wants to race saying he all motor and runs 108 oct. Sounds like a set up, am i missing something?

I can run 110 octane in mine...but it won't make it faster.

Sounds like a classic poker bluff.

Seriously, if he has "all motor" what difference does the octane he runs make? If he was really suckering you, he would claim mild mods like an air filter to get you to race and then clean your clock.

No one ever says "I have the fastest thing ever" and then asks for a race if they actually do.

The "set up" is bluffing you into thinking he has more than he does so that he can claim you were too chicken to race.

Call the bluff and take him down...or watch him find an excuse not to race.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
OP, what is he driving? Or do you not know? I wouldn't take him on until you at least saw his car.

For all you know it could be a Honda with a couple stickers on it that he's filling with some fine Walmart octane booster....which means he's making at least 500 rwhp.

With your mods I say you could handle a fair amount of cars out there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Hell, if he is running that high and doesnt have a motor built for that compression, he will be laggy and you will have a better shot.
Put a small wager down and meet him at the track.
maybe like "loser pays track fees for winner"

Btw bro, its chicago...
dudes round here carry a v6 3.5 and think they can take all the cars cuz they have a muffler added from down the street corner shop

No offense to the 6 bangers out here, but that is how it is here... annoying!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, its some guy my cousin work with, first he said his ol school cutlass with a bottle and he wanted me to give him the buss. But i turned that down, then he sed his buddy 300 5.7 saying its all motor but i dont believe it, i think he spraying too. Ill catch up with them some time soon

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't mess with spray haha that's a totally different ball game. To me using nitrous isn't a clean win because it's only a temporary deal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Schedule to meet him at the local drag strip and run him.

Whats the worst that can happen, he beats you? Bet he won't even show :)

I was at a private event at the drag strip, literally unlimited runs. At the end of the day, I'm getting ready to go home in my almost stock Daytona, guy in a NICE mustang with a pretty shiny whistling blower wants me to make one more run. Why bother, you know you're going to win, I know you're going to win, everybody here knows you're going to win, I'm tired and going home :)

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I didn't do much drag racing.* I'd ask the loud-talkers what their best lap-time is on their favorite road course. ... blank stare... What's the matter, can't you turn corners? :sneaky:

*I did earn 2nd Place in the Bracket Race at the 2008 LX&B though! :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We dont do strips around here but like i said he got something extra, their bottle type of guys, wager was 500

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
We dont do strips around here but like i said he got something extra, their bottle type of guys, wager was 500
Or... he's just a poser. Running 108 in a stock engine won't produce more power than running 89 will. Sure, you can tune the engine to go a little higher (there are some folks squeezing as much as 94), but you're looking at diminishing returns. Someone who legitimately has an engine that can take advantage of 108 has got to have high compression, which means a blower, which you will generally hear. If this guy insists he's stock and running on 108, he's either lying or Doing It Wrong.

282 Posts
I do need to point this out. Every time i ran at Fontana i was using 91 octane and a good quarter or less of it and getting around 12.9 - 13.2 range. The DA there is over 2100 on a 68 degree day, even higher when hotter.
Anyway i mixed 2 gallons of 100 octane race fuel into my quarter tank of 91 octane and the MPR Built 5.7 got [email protected]
I dont know, but im pretty sure it was the fuel.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I do need to point this out. Every time i ran at Fontana i was using 91 octane and a good quarter or less of it and getting around 12.9 - 13.2 range. The DA there is over 2100 on a 68 degree day, even higher when hotter.
Anyway i mixed 2 gallons of 100 octane race fuel into my quarter tank of 91 octane and the MPR Built 5.7 got [email protected]
I dont know, but im pretty sure it was the fuel.
So... now you are talking built motor not stock... more than likely built to higher compressiom which would use that higher octane fuel better

·
Registered
352 Posts
B4 i started mixing the gases i read all the there was about you need a tuner to adjust for more timing and a few other things and on paper a stock tune without adjust it for the extra octane wont help at all I CAN SAY IS JUST TRY THE MIXES AND SEE WHAT HAPPENDS. Ok i have run a 98 octane mix ( 2.5 gal ca 91 & 2.5 gal vp109) in my 07 srt8 jeep with cai & dyno tune on ca 91 octane and that was only mods i had. The dyno tune was never adjusted for the higher octane either. Now i only run 1/8 mile and the 98 mix gained me .20 & 2mph no mater what the DA was. Now i have a bone stock 2012 srt8 jeep and have been out 4 times with it using the same gas mix. The only other thing i do is pull the air cleaner to lean the pig rich stock tune down and the added octane also leans it down. Now at our 1/8 mile track (IRWINDALE ) the jeep hooks pertty good and so far every WK2 jeep (2012 to 2014) i have seen there bone stock runs 8.7/[email protected]/79 mph on 91 octane and most are 100 lbs lighter than my race wt and i run in the 8.20s @ 82 mph. The higher octane also helps the pcm from pulling timing and the added oxygen from the vp109 also helps make more hp. With the stock tunes you need to lean it down a bit and keep the pcm from pulling timing. One of our members tried a couple bottles of octane boster and it slowed him down a bit from his last outting and i have never tried the booster stuff my self.

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
We have 87,89,93,110, adding your aces to my 93 will raise the oct?

Adding ACES IV changes the % of conversion of BTU from potential to kinetic energy.

In other words, it takes the amount of energy in the fuel that can be burned and burns it more completely acting like higher octane fuel.

So if you put ACES IV in the 93, it will act like 102.9 octane fuel. This was shown with the 598 on the dyno. The 91 octane fuel acted like racing fuel once ACES IV was introduced.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213993

The VP 110 octane was $10.00 per gallon

The 91 pump fuel was $3.80 per gallon

The ACES IV was .31 cents

The 91 pump fuel and ACES IV mix was $4.11.

Produced racing fuel output from pump fuel.

Faster the flame speed the more you can get out of the fuel as long as it doesn't detonate. ACES IV does that for you!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Hell, if he is running that high and doesnt have a motor built for that compression, he will be laggy and you will have a better shot.
Put a small wager down and meet him at the track.
maybe like "loser pays track fees for winner"

Btw bro, its chicago...
dudes round here carry a v6 3.5 and think they can take all the cars cuz they have a muffler added from down the street corner shop

No offense to the 6 bangers out here, but that is how it is here... annoying!
WTF are you talking about? I know PLENTLY of all motor cars that run well into the 10's, on C16....

Fuel doesn't up compression, he can run the tune harder and pull more timing......

OP, what kind of car?

My bet, it's a cammed, race gas nitrous car....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts