Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so after reading about another CF member who locked his proximity RKE fob in the car (which I hadn't thought was possible), I took my fob to Home Despot and had a couple of old-school flat keys made from the emergency key in the fob. FWIW, it's blank #19 or #Y159 , if anybody wants to get one but runs into a worker who says, "We don't make keys for those cars".

I got to thinking about how, in the days before remote keyless entry, I used to take a spare key and fasten it to sheet metal under the car with an aluminum rivet. That way, if I ever needed it, I would just reach under there and pull. The aluminum rivet would give way, and I had my spare key.

Without asking anyone to give away their hiding spots, does anybody currently do something like that with an 11-14 Charger? Or maybe use a Hide-A-Key?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a key that I hide behind the license plate. Take the spare key and drill out a hole big enough for the license plate screw. Use that to hold it in place behind the plate. If you get locked out, all you need is a screwdriver or at the least, a dime. My old man taught me that trick.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a key that I hide behind the license plate. Take the spare key and drill out a hole big enough for the license plate screw. Use that to hold it in place behind the plate. If you get locked out, all you need is a screwdriver or at the least, a dime. My old man taught me that trick.
That's a really good idea! But yeah, I made a good old fashioned key and use a Hide-a-Key on my 14. Been locked out too many times in old cars to risk it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think the best place to put that hide-a-key would be in the channel of subframe that comes from the front and ends open, just shy under the drivers seat. It's the perfect size.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Okay, so after reading about another CF member who locked his proximity RKE fob in the car (which I hadn't thought was possible), I took my fob to Home Despot and had a couple of old-school flat keys made from the emergency key in the fob. FWIW, it's blank #19 or #Y159 , if anybody wants to get one but runs into a worker who says, "We don't make keys for those cars".

I got to thinking about how, in the days before remote keyless entry, I used to take a spare key and fasten it to sheet metal under the car with an aluminum rivet. That way, if I ever needed it, I would just reach under there and pull. The aluminum rivet would give way, and I had my spare key.

Without asking anyone to give away their hiding spots, does anybody currently do something like that with an 11-14 Charger? Or maybe use a Hide-A-Key?
And... You can bury your second FOB someplace in the car that it won't be found. Wrap it in foil, or... actually AND - take the battery out. This keeps it from being detected by the car and allowing the car to start when you don't want it to. If no FOB, unless you accidentally locked the keys / FOB in the car, even if you get in, you are not going anywhere for a long time.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Another alternative to disabling the car is to put a kill switch hidden in the car that disables the fuel pump fuse. Car will crank, but won't go far.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Another alternative to disabling the car is to put a kill switch hidden in the car that disables the fuel pump fuse. Car will crank, but won't go far.
I think the idea is to have a key hidden outside the car so if you lose your FOB / key, you can get in the car. The suggestion I made was for once you get back in your car. you can actually drive it.

As far as starting it, other than the repeater tricks talked about, fuel pump / starter is doesn't really matter. The PCM won't run the engine without a crypto key exchange that involves the FOB keyed to the car.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think the idea is to have a key hidden outside the car so if you lose your FOB / key, you can get in the car. The suggestion I made was for once you get back in your car. you can actually drive it.

As far as starting it, other than the repeater tricks talked about, fuel pump / starter is doesn't really matter. The PCM won't run the engine without a crypto key exchange that involves the FOB keyed to the car.
Yeah, but key or not, disabling the starter or fuel pump is always a good idea. I've done this on a variety of cars in the past. And yeah, the electronics involved with the FOB are involved. Without the FOB, it won't start. Say you lost your FOB at the grocery store, and someone dishonest found it and went out to look for your car. All they have to do is keep pressing and listening to the horn or look for the lights.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yeah, but key or not, disabling the starter or fuel pump is always a good idea. I've done this on a variety of cars in the past. And yeah, the electronics involved with the FOB are involved. Without the FOB, it won't start. Say you lost your FOB at the grocery store, and someone dishonest found it and went out to look for your car. All they have to do is keep pressing and listening to the horn or look for the lights.
All true. I'd hope I'd figure out I dropped the key and be around to "greet" them.
Seriously, my car will start and idle but without me in the car, it's not going to cooperate with anyone trying to drive it. This is independent of the key fob. Similar to "Secure Park" that's on 2014 and newer pursuit vehicles, but mine's not a police vehicle. Also, unlike Secure Park, I don''t have to do anything to make the car not want to go when leaving it, and it doesn't matter it it's running or not when I get out. Something I designed for my car.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Only way they can help is if the FOB is locked in the car and that's something that is not supposed to happen, the system should prevent the doors from locking with the FOB in the car.

And yes, once your car is running, you can leave the FOB behind and drive off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
Pre smart chip keys, I used to keep a spare key under the license plate.
Currently I keep my primary FOB in my pocket and the other in the house. Family will bring me the secondary if somehow i would lose my FOB.
If I travel, I bring the secondary and keep it stashed or with someone else in the group.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Merely got me to wonder, with all the high tech links...Why can't a locksmith arrive...Verify your ID, input your VIN online, and FCA releases an "OK to start" engine signal down thru Sat radio in the car, say good for 2 hrs...Hence you can drive, as well as enter the car...Just seems something should be possible these days, when a Fob is lost......

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I locked keys in a rental car one time. Packing up to go from the hotel to the airport I laid the swagged cable with two remotes and two keys in the trunk which i then tossed the luggage on top of them. You know that awe crap moment that happens when the trunk or door closes. Im sure some you have felt that knot in the stomach.

I called a locksmith and waited an hour. He arrived and without and questions used a slim-jim to open the door which allowed me to hit the trunk release. That hour wait and $60 service call was a valuable lesson about carelessness. With a rental there are not a lot of options when both keys get locked in the car. However . . .

I like ON Star for unlock service. Call 1-888-4-ONSTAR and answer a couple security questions and bingo the doors unlock and you retrieve your keys/FOB. 3 minutes.

But, Im not too keen on the idea anyone could call a locksmith and upon checking an ID (real or fake) the locksmith enters a vin in a computer enabling FCA to zap a signal to the car to unlock it and allow someone to drive the car away. How does the locksmith verify the person is an authorized driver? Maybe something like ON Star could be adopted by FCA where the owner calls and clears the security questions and then FCA zaps the car to unlock and allow the driver a limited time or 1 time drive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
hi, i wanted to know if its possible to start the charger without the button, like the 2012-2013 grand cherokee that you remove the push button and plug the keyfob or something like that???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts