Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2013 Dodge Charger SXT. I took it to a renowned HID shop in the area who my buddy used, and paid $400 to get $100 plug and play Xenon HID kits installed for my low beams and fog lights. I had several options for kits, and I bought the most expensive ones, they retailed at about $110. I know they were very high quality. Anyways, the guy installed them and they were working great. A week later the right low beam and left fog light were flickering... I brought it in and he fixed them right away. Earlier this week, my left low beam would not turn on. I took it in today and he fixed it, saying it was a loose connection. After driving all night I came home and turned off my car. When I turned on the lights with the engine off just to check out of curiosity, now the RIGHT low beam wouldn't turn on. I turned the lights off and turned the engine one, and the lights are turning on again. Was this a freak accident that it didn't turn on when I parked and tested them tonight, or is there something still wrong? I paid good money for this guy and bought the lifetime warranty so I'm wondering if its something with my bulbs, ballasts, or if its normal. Maybe enough power wasn't getting to the HID's. I know I have a relay harness though as well.

I appreciate any help or info,
-Joey

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I just boight those same ones he posted and it fixed that problem, but the little packs dont really designate positive or negative, so you will have to figure which side is posi and neg on the input feom the car on these BOW3's just flip the clip so that it doesnt clip.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I do not do any of my own lighting work as I am completely ignorant about working on my car and don't wanna ruin any wiring...... They are working fine right now, but if they start bugging out again or one randomly not turning on when I park or something, do I just order those error code eliminators and bring them into my mechanic to install? I read on ddm's website that its the 2006+ charger's low beams that need these... it makes sense because its only my low beams that usually bug out. my fogs generally are always running

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I ordered from ddm, be prepared to wait 2 weeks unless u order a better shipping method. Order asap!
They ship from china, from the time they receive the order to finally ship takes 3 days, then it gets to new york, finally ground mail, and dropped off without instructions or color help to install. Just remeber, they need to be inverted. So when you plug your cars wires to it, if the clip clips, it is wrong, put the headlight connector to where the clips wont clip, it will look like you put it on backwards at the clip. Just to be safe, before turning them on, close your hood in case catastrophic failure(worse case scenario). You will be able to tell right away, if they turn on u are good to go, if they dont, turn them off right away. Btw test with the car on, the code is only read and flicker with car on. If you turn the switch for the headlamps on with the car off they will work flawlessly every time.
U can do this part yourself, they go on right before the ballast... Or take to ur mech to install so he can place them somewhere in your car. I just ziptied them to different parts tight so they dont clunk/rattle around lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
really? i find that my HIDs dont work when my car is off and the head lights are on, but when the engine is running they usualy work every time.... If I have any more problems with my lights I am forsure going to buy an error code eliminator and brign it to my mechanic to install... I'm seriously stupid as hell when it comes to electrical work so I won't even touch my car with that stuff. Do the wrong wiring and your car will burn up.... rather get ripped off and have it done right :D

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Thing is you have the relay harness, which will most of the time make them turn on just fine, but the computer is also looking for the signal it is looking for. I read on these forums u can run them like this but might get progressively worse. I would get a set of these just in case. Or if u want cheap, u can buy the capacitors from radio shack and wire them in. Cheap and does the same thing.
If u use the search tool of this forum u will find the specific capacitor u need and how to wire it in. Print for ur mechanic if u go this route. Dont know if u will need a whole nother set for ur fogs, would hate to see u pay 40 bux for 2 pairs of BOW3s.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to sound like a stuck up ***** but I worked my ass off to buy my car and I spent over $30k on it, so I would rather not go cheap on a car thats brand new and worth what it is. Money isn't the issue, I'd rather spend an extra $300 right now just to have them consistently work. Went out tonight for a spin and noticed all of them are working, except this time my bottom left fog light blew out. It's getting ridiculous and I'm progressively getting madder at my mechanic, I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions but after bringing it to him 3 times in the past month, Idk what to assume. He uses high quality kits I've checked them out, so idk what seems to be the problem. One light goes out, I bring it in to him. Next day, another light goes out and the one he fixed earlier is fine. It seems all my lights work except one random light. I cannot figure out why, its starting to really piss me off

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ummm.... Im pretty sure 20.00 for a set of these is cheap. They dont always ship from China either. They do have stock in the states just depends on what you order. They are a snap to install! I have a set on my 11 Ram and my 12 SRT so all years will work.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I ordered from ddm, be prepared to wait 2 weeks unless u order a better shipping method. Order asap!
They ship from china, from the time they receive the order to finally ship takes 3 days, then it gets to new york, finally ground mail, and dropped off without instructions or color help to install. Just remeber, they need to be inverted. So when you plug your cars wires to it, if the clip clips, it is wrong, put the headlight connector to where the clips wont clip, it will look like you put it on backwards at the clip. Just to be safe, before turning them on, close your hood in case catastrophic failure(worse case scenario). You will be able to tell right away, if they turn on u are good to go, if they dont, turn them off right away. Btw test with the car on, the code is only read and flicker with car on. If you turn the switch for the headlamps on with the car off they will work flawlessly every time.
U can do this part yourself, they go on right before the ballast... Or take to ur mech to install so he can place them somewhere in your car. I just ziptied them to different parts tight so they dont clunk/rattle around lol.
Catastrophic failure?? this is making it sound way too confusing first and second its not that difficult.If you plug them in backwards they wont turn on thats all! just un plug, turn it around and turn it back on! Honestly if your not good will electrical and wiring or anything related I would have some else do it!:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thing is you have the relay harness, which will most of the time make them turn on just fine, but the computer is also looking for the signal it is looking for. I read on these forums u can run them like this but might get progressively worse. I would get a set of these just in case. Or if u want cheap, u can buy the capacitors from radio shack and wire them in. Cheap and does the same thing.
If u use the search tool of this forum u will find the specific capacitor u need and how to wire it in. Print for ur mechanic if u go this route. Dont know if u will need a whole nother set for ur fogs, would hate to see u pay 40 bux for 2 pairs of BOW3s.
Capacitors are gunna run you just as much as the code eliminators, There gunna be more of a pain to install and wont always work! Like he stated above he's "read" on these forums so he doesn't know first hand, otherwise he wouldn't be giving such bad info!

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Not to sound like a stuck up ***** but I worked my ass off to buy my car and I spent over $30k on it, so I would rather not go cheap on a car thats brand new and worth what it is. Money isn't the issue, I'd rather spend an extra $300 right now just to have them consistently work. Went out tonight for a spin and noticed all of them are working, except this time my bottom left fog light blew out. It's getting ridiculous and I'm progressively getting madder at my mechanic, I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions but after bringing it to him 3 times in the past month, Idk what to assume. He uses high quality kits I've checked them out, so idk what seems to be the problem. One light goes out, I bring it in to him. Next day, another light goes out and the one he fixed earlier is fine. It seems all my lights work except one random light. I cannot figure out why, its starting to really piss me off
Well, you have a mentality sir/mam that people would love to take advantage of then, sometimes it is not about spending a ****ton or spending less, it is about spending on the right thing. I gave you two options, with information on how much it will run you, because it is not about making your wallet empty, it is about getting the correct part. Up to u if u want a 500 dollar error eliminator, i told you the part number will run u 20 bux total so you dont accidentally order a 10 dollar relay harness thinking it is the BOW3.
I know it is frustrating, but this will solve your issue bud. The relay harness draws power from ur battery so it will look to be running correctly when it is not. Ask your mechanic about adding the error eliminator, if he deals with high quality HID kits, then he might have some error eliminators around to sell/put in. Also called AntiFlicker Capacitors just FYI. Do it right the first time!

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Capacitors are gunna run you just as much as the code eliminators, There gunna be more of a pain to install and wont always work! Like he stated above he's "read" on these forums so he doesn't know first hand, otherwise he wouldn't be giving such bad info!
How is it bad jnfo when someone doesnt want to do a search themselves? Im not doing it for them, im tired and telling them what they need to make it work. I dont want the caps to blow up on me so sorry, im not looking to learn what happens exactly in my engine bay to give him first hand knowledge on Caps popping in there. I did it by myself and have been running aftermarket hid's since 2006. Next time bud, quit criticizing and give some info urself on the subject, otherwise watch your mouth. He is getting ripped off for what any one of us would have been willing to do for him for free if he was our neighbor.
OP, gl with ur HID's bud, diff options for u to go with, I gave u the best info i could, let us know what happens. Goin back to sleep!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Id get some roach clips and splice in a couple of crayons with some unicorn cookie splints... That would be bad info.

I think Yuros input was very helpful, considering most people won't even bat an eye at these kinds of threads anymore because anything HID related has been covered a million times.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Id get some roach clips and splice in a couple of crayons with some unicorn cookie splints... That would be bad info.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I lyk this info, i did this such thing for the wires in the trunk rubber grommet

Didnt mean to snap like that

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well, you have a mentality sir/mam that people would love to take advantage of then, sometimes it is not about spending a ****ton or spending less, it is about spending on the right thing. I gave you two options, with information on how much it will run you, because it is not about making your wallet empty, it is about getting the correct part. Up to u if u want a 500 dollar error eliminator, i told you the part number will run u 20 bux total so you dont accidentally order a 10 dollar relay harness thinking it is the BOW3.
I know it is frustrating, but this will solve your issue bud. The relay harness draws power from ur battery so it will look to be running correctly when it is not. Ask your mechanic about adding the error eliminator, if he deals with high quality HID kits, then he might have some error eliminators around to sell/put in. Also called AntiFlicker Capacitors just FYI. Do it right the first time!

ddm Error eliminators are about 20.00 a pair BUD! not 500.00 only thing Ive used that's worked.Ive tried capacitors they work for a while then stop!

·
Registered
173 Posts
How is it bad jnfo when someone doesnt want to do a search themselves? Im not doing it for them, im tired and telling them what they need to make it work. I dont want the caps to blow up on me so sorry, im not looking to learn what happens exactly in my engine bay to give him first hand knowledge on Caps popping in there. I did it by myself and have been running aftermarket hid's since 2006. Next time bud, quit criticizing and give some info urself on the subject, otherwise watch your mouth. He is getting ripped off for what any one of us would have been willing to do for him for free if he was our neighbor.
OP, gl with ur HID's bud, diff options for u to go with, I gave u the best info i could, let us know what happens. Goin back to sleep! HAHAHA:D watch my mouth...... Ok thats cute tool box! how is it free you still have to buy the eliminators tough guy.Too bad your not my neighbor that way I could have a B*&%h boy to hand clean my tools!

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Damn haha no need to argue everyone, I appreciate all your guys' help and advice. I spoke to my mechanic and he said I have CANBUS Hid Kits and that my lights already have capacitors in them. My low beams are working fine now since the last repair, which was really just a loose connection. My bottom left fog light isnt turning on, so I think its another connection issue / bulb/ballast issue. Its just ridiculous cause once one of my 4 HIDs is fixed another one seems to blow out. Its always a simple fix too like a loose connection or something...... I don't understand. My mechanic is probably getting annoyed as well, he has replaced 2 ballasts, and the ones I bought definitely aren't cheap.... I have a lifetime warranty luckily and he will keep replacing/working on the HIDs if they don't work. If something goes wrong after he checks everything and fixes the fog light tomorrow, then I'm gonna start getting mean :rolleyes2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts