Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ddm tuning, 50 watt fogs, wire harness, stock fogs. I installed without the error code cancellers from DDM (sending them back for a refund). after the starscan they were not working. I knew what the problem was; didnt reverse the connection between the harness and the OEM socket from the car which basically switches the fogs on/off. :clap:
I 2x checked all my connections and reversed the connection; only using one as the other was disconnected. nothing worked again. unplugged that one (passenger side) and used the driver side connection. the driver side worked but not the passenger side. I connected both and nothing again. unplugged the passenger side and eureka they both worked. went to my favorite dark cemetary road to adjust the height and noticed the passenger side not working again. at 1st i thought this was only happening when the fogs were on by themselves, but it happened with the headlights on too. i cycled the car on/off and they both worked. I thumped the switch with my finger and they both worked again.:confused: i checked the new factory switch when i got back home and connection was fine. the knob is the usual dodge looseness... I can't find a pattern or distinct situation (headlights on/off, car off, fogs on w/o headlights, etc.) when they work or dont work. i am concluding its either the switch from the factory, or the capsule as the connections are fine and when they are both on they work fine. I am not fond of ddm tuning as i had to send the 1st set of lights back; one had a broken base, AND they didnt fit in the housing. its raining today in buffalo, ny so i will have the lights on all day while i shoot a wedding any suggestions would be appreciated!!:beerchug:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
it has to be either the switch, or the capsule. it doesnt always fire on the 1st try but usually fires on the 2nd. once on it stays on..... assistance, opinions...

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
PM. ChargeRonDavins. He is the resident HID guru.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
I'm here, lol.

Not sure about all the flashing and what not, I've never installed them in a car that didn't come factory with HID's but sounds to me like a relay issue. I just had a kit do this to me, where one would work sometimes, and then I unplug the other one, and the opposite ligth would work. I could get both to work, but not at the same time.

I would A) Make sure your ground is good. Some relay harnesses has one ground per ballast, check to make sure you only have one

B) ensure no connections are wet.

C) Make sure the "hot" wire (that goes to positive terminal or the box under the hood) is on properly and there is no corrosion.

D) If that doesn't work, switch ballasts. (Put left ballast on right side, and right ballast on left side).

If the problem follows the ballast, the ballast may have firing issues. If the problem does not follow the ballast, then in theory it would be your bulb but from what you're describing I highly doubt it's the bulb.

If it was your headlights I'd say to wire in the proper capacitor.

Here is my "everything HID thread" with write-up links and more.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1647638#post1647638

Also, if the problem still persists it's likely what went wrong with my install a few weeks ago, I got a faulty relay. Good news is they are cheap. bad news is, they must come from china.. as their polarities are switched.. the relays themselves are opposite of ours. Autozone, Napa, Pep Boys, nobody had the relay necessary for our HID kits.

Also check for any pinches or broken wires.

Good luck!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm here, lol.

Not sure about all the flashing and what not, I've never installed them in a car that didn't come factory with HID's but sounds to me like a relay issue. I just had a kit do this to me, where one would work sometimes, and then I unplug the other one, and the opposite ligth would work. I could get both to work, but not at the same time.

I would A) Make sure your ground is good. Some relay harnesses has one ground per ballast, check to make sure you only have one

B) ensure no connections are wet.

C) Make sure the "hot" wire (that goes to positive terminal or the box under the hood) is on properly and there is no corrosion.

D) If that doesn't work, switch ballasts. (Put left ballast on right side, and right ballast on left side).

If the problem follows the ballast, the ballast may have firing issues. If the problem does not follow the ballast, then in theory it would be your bulb but from what you're describing I highly doubt it's the bulb.

If it was your headlights I'd say to wire in the proper capacitor.

Here is my "everything HID thread" with write-up links and more.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1647638#post1647638

Also, if the problem still persists it's likely what went wrong with my install a few weeks ago, I got a faulty relay. Good news is they are cheap. bad news is, they must come from china.. as their polarities are switched.. the relays themselves are opposite of ours. Autozone, Napa, Pep Boys, nobody had the relay necessary for our HID kits.

Also check for any pinches or broken wires.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply guys!
• There is only one ground from the harness but the capsules from DDM have a black and red or white I forget, wires coming from the capsule harness. AAC’s don’t have that I think. I just taped them up. I’ll 2x check the positive connection. No wet issues
• I’ll try switching the ballasts but its such a pain in the rear getting under there, taking the ballasts off… OK; get the ramps out and switch them. PITA!!
• The headlights have the capacitor wired into the relay. They are from AAC and their plug and play was not P&P and I had to use the harness with the capacitor.
• I noticed the relay is loud, louder then the headlight relay. Now that you mention it I bet it’s the relays too. Years ago I had a Nissan Pathfinder with a harness and I had to replace the relays as I had the same problem. (been awhile I forgot about it!!) I will try and simulate the problem and thump the relay. Its a worth a try.
• SO even if its fogs and there is no monitoring of them I still need a reversed harness? :confused:I used DDM’s harness and I doubt they are reversed… I e mailed them the problem and I will re-mail them and mention the harness and relay.

If the ballast is working will it emit that distinctive ballast sound? i think i heard it when i was under the car right after the installation...

thanks again guys and i'll keep you posted!:beerchug:

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Unfortunately I had a very similar problem with mine (DDM 55W) except it was the driver side that wouldn't always turn on until I turned the fogs on and off a couple times. For whatever reason though after a couple months (too lazy to really deal with it) they both started working just fine and I haven't had a problem in about a year now.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I had a very similar problem with mine (DDM 55W) except it was the driver side that wouldn't always turn on until I turned the fogs on and off a couple times. For whatever reason though after a couple months (too lazy to really deal with it) they both started working just fine and I haven't had a problem in about a year now.
Yes i remember reading about your fogs... I am not that fond of DDM due to past problems. When i told them about this (i sent a copy of my invoice so they would know what i'm talking about), they said use a wiring harness! DUH!!! i have one and its on the invoice. I strongly suspect now that its the ballast. The switch is probably not the problem as it would affect more then just one fog; head, parking, rear, etc... If it is i will have to send it all the way back to CA. I'll probably buy one from dabears and just wait for a refund from DDM.. are you using the small digital ballasts? nice ride by the way!! THANKS!!:beerchug:

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Yes i remember reading about your fogs... I am not that fond of DDM due to past problems. When i told them about this (i sent a copy of my invoice so they would know what i'm talking about), they said use a wiring harness! DUH!!! i have one and its on the invoice. I strongly suspect now that its the ballast. The switch is probably not the problem as it would affect more then just one fog; head, parking, rear, etc... If it is i will have to send it all the way back to CA. I'll probably buy one from dabears and just wait for a refund from DDM.. are you using the small digital ballasts? nice ride by the way!! THANKS!!:beerchug:
Yes I am using the small digital ballast for my fogs and just have them plugged directly into the OEM harness, no extra wiring. For my lows I did use a wiring harness and got the regular size ballasts. Last time I checked too DDM makes the kits for DaBaers.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I am using the small digital ballast for my fogs and just have them plugged directly into the OEM harness, no extra wiring. For my lows I did use a wiring harness and got the regular size ballasts. Last time I checked too DDM makes the kits for DaBaers.
interesting u are running the 55w with the stock harness. u run your fogs all the time? i have seen some bad results with stock harness and 55 watt, but if its running ok leave it alone. I think both of these vendors sell the digital ballasts, but dabears is closer to buffalo,ny then ddm... then again they may not sell single ballasts. I strongly suspect the ballast; switching them tonight... taking valuable time away from golf!! we have had exactly 2 - 80 degree days all year, and today makes the 3rd before it goes back to the seventies (high of 69 degrees Saturday)!! and i gotta be underneath the car for the 3rd time!! thats why i get so torqued off at krap products!!!

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
interesting u are running the 55w with the stock harness. u run your fogs all the time? i have seen some bad results with stock harness and 55 watt, but if its running ok leave it alone. I think both of these vendors sell the digital ballasts, but dabears is closer to buffalo,ny then ddm... then again they may not sell single ballasts. I strongly suspect the ballast; switching them tonight... taking valuable time away from golf!! we have had exactly 2 - 80 degree days all year, and today makes the 3rd before it goes back to the seventies (high of 69 degrees Saturday)!! and i gotta be underneath the car for the 3rd time!! thats why i get so torqued off at krap products!!!
Yup, the 55w slim digital ballast is just plugged directly into the factory fog harness. Nothing more and other than the original problem all of the wiring and everything looks fine still and I run them all the time, even more than my headlights. Usually I have those and my halos on since they run together (halos are running off of corner markers).

I would go play some golf if I was you, but seeing as I live in SoCal, I can pretty much go any day of the year.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, the 55w slim digital ballast is just plugged directly into the factory fog harness. Nothing more and other than the original problem all of the wiring and everything looks fine still and I run them all the time, even more than my headlights. Usually I have those and my halos on since they run together (halos are running off of corner markers).

I would go play some golf if I was you, but seeing as I live in SoCal, I can pretty much go any day of the year.
go play golf! good advice!! :clap: cause if it is the ballast that means i have to get back under the car again!!:beerchug:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i switched the ballasts and the problem did not reoccur. i think the wires going to the bulb were stretched too far. Maybe because i was doing everything outside the garage in the rain!! anyway i'm done for now!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts