Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone hope you guys are having a great friday or maybe early saturaday or which ever day it is were you are from.

First off i wanna say that i used the search to see if i can find what i was looking for. After awhile i said hell with it, to lazy and it hasnt been a great week so i figured i would just ask straight up. So sorry if your tired of seeing the same Qs on HIDs and projectors.

Anyways lately i've been thinking of getting my charger a make over, new rims, LEDs, tint etc etc. The first thing that i wanna do is get some projectors with HID bulbs i really would like to get that nice blue glow and not blind everyone nore be getting tickets non stop.

I know that HIDs anything aftermarket is ILLEGAL....However i know many of us on here have HIDs and get away with it even with the projectors.

I've been talking to steve from flashtech about his cutome projectors, maybe order from him. I've heared nothing but good and from what i've seen i'm VERY IMPRESSED.

My first question anyone here have the custome projec/headlamps from steve or anyone from flashtech ? If so how are they and can you post some pics and vids ?

2. For everyone who has the projectors, wether it be custome, OEM, or the JDB (the ones that come with the halos), what bulbs do you have ? 3k,6k,8k etc etc.

3. what is better the 8k or 10k ? I've seen the chart of the lights and it looks like 10K is more blueish then 8k.
I could be WAY wrong, but thats cause i've only seen them in pics.

So pics or vids would be great guys, thanks and sorry for the long write up have a great weekend everyone. :beer_yum::driving:

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Why projectors? Im not a fan, just me...nothing againsts them just not me.

And "better" isnt the right word, pick a color you want. 10K is more a color then a light. If you are having trouble, go 6K VERY white...basic and SUPER bright.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

And "better" isnt the right word, pick a color you want. 10K is more a color then a light. If you are having trouble, go 6K VERY white...basic and SUPER bright.
Had a feeling you would be the first to post lol.

I just like the fact that the lights arent spread.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
lol

Hey man, if you like the look(Im one of the few that dont) I am all for it.

And no, by color you actually give up the "blinding" effect. The higher the number means MORE color, LESS light output(brightness)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol

And no, by color you actually give up the "blinding" effect. The higher the number means MORE color, LESS light output(brightness)
Thanks for the help bro. :beerchug:

Qucik question whats the price range for the bulbs ?

I think i might get 6k, 8k, 10k and test it for myself to see how they are.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
All hids are pretty blinding to me lol. I just installed 10k in projectors.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
It's not about what you like. It's about not being a <insert horrible name here>. And you know it. Shame on you.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I have projectors and couldn't be any happier....

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
It's not about what you like. It's about not being a <insert horrible name here>. And you know it. Shame on you.
He asked OUR views, I told him I didnt like them but if HE did that thats all that counts because I was one of the FEW that dont like them.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have 8000k in projectors. At times I think it's a little too blue, but I have passed, been followed by, waved at and had conversations with LEOs and never even been questioned about them. Granted, they ARE in projector housings so they don't just bounce light all over the place, which is the main reason they are illegal. In improper housings they are a hazard to oncoming drivers. You can sort of make up for that by aiming them properly.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Incidentally the pics of Steve's work that I have seen are top notch and having spoken to the guy he seems like he knows his stuff and would be good to work with. Check the flashtech specific forum for pics. You might find some there.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All hids are pretty blinding to me lol. I just installed 10k in projectors.
I've seen number of HIDs around my town i would say 8k it was pretty bulish wanst blinding to me, then again i try not to look straight into them. Any pics bro ?

Wooow dude take it easy man. I'm wondering what bulb wont be blinding or really annoying for oncoming drivers.

I have projectors and couldn't be any happier....
Nice what bubls do yo uhave ? :beerchug:

He asked OUR views, I told him I didnt like them but if HE did that thats all that counts because I was one of the FEW that dont like them.
X2 some people like them others dont thats fine with me and all i want is some info and trev you've been helpful. :beerchug:

I have 8000k in projectors. At times I think it's a little too blue, but I have passed, been followed by, waved at and had conversations with LEOs and never even been questioned about them. Granted, they ARE in projector housings so they don't just bounce light all over the place, which is the main reason they are illegal. In improper housings they are a hazard to oncoming drivers. You can sort of make up for that by aiming them properly.
Thats another reason why i wann get them so they dont bounce around and my other worry is getting the right bulb and kit for the projectors.

Quick questions does it put any strain on your eyes at night ?

Let's bring it down a notch guys. :D

x2 :beer_yum:

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I got the 8k

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I disagree with "that's all that counts". Safety and consideration count. If you're going to offer advice, it should be sound advice. This isn't a purely cosmetic issue and what looks good just doesn't compare to the reality of the situation. Deeply tinted tail lights look better (on many Chargers, to many viewers, myself included) than un-tinted or lightly-tinted tails. That doesn't change the fact that deep tint is a bad, bad idea and is dangerous. Headlights that impact on-coming driver's ability to see anything but you is a bad, bad idea. At night the eye has to cope with very low levels of contrast. Adding needless pupil contraction is irresponsible.

Express your opinion of the aesthetics, yes, but don't forget the "safety first" disclaimer. That's my real point.

I've seen number of HIDs around my town i would say 8k it was pretty bulish wanst blinding to me, then again i try not to look straight into them. Any pics bro ?
Generally it's not the temperature of the HID that causes "blinding". A properly aimed light of any temperature should be comfortable for basically any viewer.

Wooow dude take it easy man. I'm wondering what bulb wont be blinding or really annoying for oncoming drivers.
That's my point; a bulb behind a projector won't be either blinding or annoying to oncoming drivers. Incidentally, I have factory HIDs which are likely down in the 4500K range which is very close to daytime white. There's a light blue tinge but it's very minimal.

Just pick whatever temp looks good to you and spend the money on a proper projector. Instant non-issue, within reason. Bulbs in the high blue to purple range may get you LEO attention, but only because of the colour, not because of the impact on others. (You're not allowed in most states/countries to have blue lights on the front of your car.)

Quick questions does it put any strain on your eyes at night ?
HIDs shouldn't strain you at all. Certainly anywhere up to the 8000K and 10000K temperatures shouldn't be much of a problem though cooler temperatures throw more illumination.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I disagree with "that's all that counts". Safety and consideration count. If you're going to offer advice, it should be sound advice. This isn't a purely cosmetic issue and what looks good just doesn't compare to the reality of the situation. Deeply tinted tail lights look better (on many Chargers, to many viewers, myself included) than un-tinted or lightly-tinted tails. That doesn't change the fact that deep tint is a bad, bad idea and is dangerous. Headlights that impact on-coming driver's ability to see anything but you is a bad, bad idea. At night the eye has to cope with very low levels of contrast. Adding needless pupil contraction is irresponsible.

Express your opinion of the aesthetics, yes, but don't forget the "safety first" disclaimer. That's my real point.

Generally it's not the temperature of the HID that causes "blinding". A properly aimed light of any temperature should be comfortable for basically any viewer.

That's my point; a bulb behind a projector won't be either blinding or annoying to oncoming drivers. Incidentally, I have factory HIDs which are likely down in the 4500K range which is very close to daytime white. There's a light blue tinge but it's very minimal.

Just pick whatever temp looks good to you and spend the money on a proper projector. Instant non-issue, within reason. Bulbs in the high blue to purple range may get you LEO attention, but only because of the colour, not because of the impact on others. (You're not allowed in most states/countries to have blue lights on the front of your car.)

HIDs shouldn't strain you at all. Certainly anywhere up to the 8000K and 10000K temperatures shouldn't be much of a problem though cooler temperatures throw more illumination.
I will agree with you that safty is number 1 and looks is #2.

This is why i would like to get the cool look of the headlights while not blinding everyone, so to do so i'm doing alot of research and i'm wondering which bulbs will be right and which projectors.

Please keep in mind guys i'm still learning about the lighting dont wanan spend money into something that doesn't work or that will get me tickets.

Thanks for the posts guys. :beer_yum:

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
I understand your safety view, but that wasnt what was asked. Either way, I respect what you say on this forum so I think we put this past us.

·
Registered
606 Posts

Negative Nancy always there with the helpful responses.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
This is why i would like to get the cool look of the headlights while not blinding everyone, so to do so i'm doing alot of research and i'm wondering which bulbs will be right and which projectors.
Again, the colour temperature of the bulb won't matter unless you get into high-temp blues and purples.

As you can see here, around the 4000K to 4500K mark is the whitest range that closely resembles daylight. Up slightly from there introduces a greenish tinge, but nothing drastic. Even as high as 8000K has more of a blue tinge but still is producing a mostly white light. Hitting 10000K is where things start to change obviously and an observer is likely to declare a light "blue" instead of "white". This is the area where LEO attention is likely to arise.

Also, you should know that not all bulbs are created equally. It seems like nobody actually measures the temperature of their bulbs but rather sell them with a rated temperature based on how it's constructed. As such, it's happened many a time around here that someone's bought a replacement bulb at a specific temperature and found a bad mis-match with their original bulb. Point is that if you order 6000K, you might get 6000K or you might really get 8000K, or maybe even 5000K. You'll never really know. Keep that variance in mind because the higher temperature you order, the closer you are to a blue light, and if the bulbs you're shipped happen to be hotter than rated, you may not be happy with the results.

As for projectors in particular, the OEM ones offered on the 2008+ model years are actually very good.

This is a pattern from a (kind of crappy) retrofitted kit on a Neon, but it gives you an idea how dramatic a projector-shaped output can be. The Charger OEM projectors don't shape the left-to-right output nearly as seriously as this kit does, but the upper cutoff is as sharp. Even going over raised railroad tracks, the upper edge of my beams don't go high enough to get over oncoming cars' grilles.

This is what the upper edge of the OEM projectors looks like. Even with this limited picture you can see how the light distribution left-to-right is much, much more even than the above example.

Finally, here's my OEM projectors from the outside (these pics taken while I was installing my halos).

And the inside, so you can see how the pattern is made.

I understand your safety view, but that wasnt what was asked. Either way, I respect what you say on this forum so I think we put this past us.
Agreed and the respect reciprocated.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts