Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got 2006 charger SXT 3.5L 4 weeks ago installed hood struts,shock tower caps and Airaid CAI. I have question regarding the 5 speed auto stick. When I put it into Drive I push the stick to the right(+) and nothing happens but if pushed to te left(-) it goes to 4th then i can continue to 1st and it seems to work fine. Dealer says this is right, I tend to think it isn't ,Any SXT owners that can give insight would be appreicated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Welcome from Illinois!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
When you put it in drive, while still stopped -- try pushing it to the left first; you should see 1.
(I'm not sure what it thought you were trying to do when you pushed it right -- up-shift -- while stopped.. then from that "goofy state" -- what does a down-shift mean)

Oh yeah -- Welcome!! :wave:

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Welcome, RUN AWAY NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN ESCAPE MODITIS!!!

To be honest, after shifting out of drive, I have always pushed the stick to the left to use the Autostick mode, just a natural progression when shifting from R or P. Cant answer your question as to why that happens to you, sorry

Tom

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Phoenix, AZ!! :wave:

When I had my SXT, I noticed that it did not show a 5 when I pushed it to the right. I never did ask why. It does show up on the Daytona though. :)

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
When you put it in drive, while still stopped -- try pushing it to the left first; you should see 1.
(I'm not sure what it thought you were trying to do when you pushed it right -- up-shift -- while stopped.. then from that "goofy state" -- what does a down-shift mean)

Oh yeah -- Welcome!! :wave:
If you are stopped and push to the right it should go into second. i can take off in second with mine.

I just went and checked and if stopped and I go to "D" then push it to the right it blips real fast to "5" but goes to "1".

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welcome to the forums, glad to see you have made your first post,

To clear up some differences in the way the trans works.

Both the Charger SE/SXT with the 3.5 and RT/SRT8 have the same trans the NAG-1 5 speed.

The RT/SRT8 HEMI has a full manual mode programed for their trans, if you move the shifter to the left the indicator will show the gear you are currently in. If you are on the freeway this will most likely show "5" and if you are stopped it will show "1". If you are in "1" and stopped and move the shifter to the right once the indicator will then show "2" and you will start in that gear and remain in that gear till you move the shifter to either side. If you are in a selected gear - 3rd for example and push the accelerator down all the way the trans will stay in 3rd and not down shift, once you slow down as in coming to a stop the trans will down shift automatically, and if you stop it will be in 1st gear and show "1".

The 3.5 got a bad deal regarding our programming for the same trans, we use the exact same control module but the programing for it is different.

IF you move our shifter to the left once it will always show "4" even though we have 5 gears. If you move it over once more to the left it will "3" and so on till it shows "1", if you hold the shifter to the left it will go to "1". If you have the indicator showing "3" as in the HEMI scenario above but our trans may not be in 3rd. Ours works more like a normal automatic. If you are in 3rd and floor it "will" down shift into 2nd or 1st and "not" hold a gear. If you come to a stop the trans may be in 1st but the indicator will still show "3". But as you accelerate from a stop the trans will shift normally but only to 3rd and not into to 4th. If you move the lever to the right a couple of times or hold it there for a moment you will be in "D" once again and now be able to use 5th gear.

Hope this helps clear up some of the differences in the programing of the motors.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
welcome aboard!!! lot of good info here!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Stay in manual mode all day and have some fun. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Welcome aboard from a fellow SXT OWNER!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts