Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is this term I hear all the time? do we not have high flow catbacks in our cars already? what makes it a high flow cat back and what makes ours not. I took off the suitcase and resos and installed super 40's mufflers is that a high flow cat back now or what do I need to do now?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I think you are getting cat backs mixed up with high flow cats. High flow cats are catalytic converters that allow more exhaust flow than stock ones. Catalytic converts, or cats for short, are put on your car to reduce pollution, but they hurt performance. Catbacks are aftermarket exhaust that are from the catalytic converters on back.

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got it so any suggestions on which high flow catalytic converter I should go with without having to get rid of my super 40's? does flowmaster make this please any pointers are greatly appreciated. Also once i replace that all i need is headers and that takes care of the airflow issue?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
if you look at the dashed lines. they show where the break in the 3 different exhaust sections are.. and are labeled on the right side.

you have headers.
cats(or high flow cats... aka... high flow catted mid pipes...)..(cats = catalytic converter)
and
catback (the exhaust system starting behind your cats... basically at your xpippe and back...)

JBA makers high flow catted mid pipes for the 5.7
magnaflow for the 6.1.

these are only meant for use on stock cars or on cars with shorty headers.

if you get longtubes your cat location is moved and thusly sets of longtubes come with catalytic coverters as well and is why theyre more expensive too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts