Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am starting to mod my Charger R/T with R&T and I am just curious.

give or take (don't need to be exact) how much would I be looking at to obtain and get installed the HHP Stage 2 Heads and Cam?

just give me a rough number, I am very new to this and well I would not want to install this myself (no garage, not many tools), a CAI is one thing but heads and cam? I rather let a pro do it :)

Thanks

Luma

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi guys,

I am starting to mod my Charger R/T with R&T and I am just curious.

give or take (don't need to be exact) how much would I be looking at to obtain and get installed the HHP Stage 2 Heads and Cam?

just give me a rough number, I am very new to this and well I would not want to install this myself (no garage, not many tools), a CAI is one thing but heads and cam? I rather let a pro do it :)

Thanks

Luma

5 or 6 thousand...ish..

·
Registered
194 Posts
The stage 2 package runs $6200 installed. If you don't already have headers, a catback, and air intake, I would HIGHLY suggest getting them at the same time. For an additional $200 the heads can be milled to up the compression a little, which helps with the 5.7 HEMI.

The stage 2 package is a very nice street/strip combination. The idle is perfect, and the package is well balanced. Expect about 375/385 HP at the wheels and about 375/380 TQ.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The stage 2 package runs $6200 installed. If you don't already have headers, a catback, and air intake, I would HIGHLY suggest getting them at the same time. For an additional $200 the heads can be milled to up the compression a little, which helps with the 5.7 HEMI.

The stage 2 package is a very nice street/strip combination. The idle is perfect, and the package is well balanced. Expect about 375/385 HP at the wheels and about 375/380 TQ.

said perfectly....

A GREAT strip/street combo. Daily driver that will hit 12s...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Now thats what I want 12s and that can still be daily driven.

·
Registered
507 Posts
how hard is it to install the heads and cam yourself? Me and my friends are pretty mechanicaly enclined. . also how much do the upgrades cost?

·
Registered
755 Posts
So what does the stage 2 cam kit come with…Im assuming the package contains everything you need including supporting units such as torque converter etc?...Can I just buy the stage 2 cam kit and be all good?..Or will I need anything other than headers, cai, and pipes?....Im thinking maybe a the b&g flash also?....

·
Registered
350 Posts
So what does the stage 2 cam kit come with…Im assuming the package contains everything you need including supporting units such as torque converter etc?...Can I just buy the stage 2 cam kit and be all good?..Or will I need anything other than headers, cai, and pipes?....Im thinking maybe a the b&g flash also?....
in my opinion, to do it right you need:

PP heads (and all the hardware-retainers, springs,etc)
cam
headers/w hi-flo cats
flash
CAI
cat-backs

This will almost certainly get you into the high 12's, and depending on the cam you choose..be a mellow daily driver...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
how much are the pp heads, cams?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This page explaines what you get with the kit. its pretty much everything you need.

http://www.highhorseperformance.com/1527391.html

not sure I would want to install it myself, even to know quite a bit I don't think those parts just slide on there easily :) have to remove the entire top of the engine and can you get the Cam in there without lifting the engine at all?

I seem to remember the Cam having to go in from the front, slowly and gently if that is the case the engine either has to come up a bit or the front end has to get taken off.

Luma

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you want better performance and better pricing the Frank Racing cams and heads are available at 402 Motoring.

E
geez Jason, thats not what you told me..:wink: :wink:

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you want better performance and better pricing the Frank Racing cams and heads are available at 402 Motoring.

E
Don't know about that one... Better pricing, sure, but better performance? Yeah, mine wasn't running as advertised at first, but after a new tune, the car performed up to snuff! Better yet, the stage 3 is untouchable at the moment :knockout: Again, the stage 2 package is a very nice street/strip combination. Idle's perfectly and has power to boot. As an option, the heads can be milled for added compression and a few extra ponies. Best yet, B&G stands behind HHP for tuning!

·
Registered
433 Posts
what does the stage 3 include??? how much money, horsepower, extra parts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good morning,
SRT8 BMW, my education in Hemi engine performance has grown quite a bit in the last few months. The background and knowledge of the Frank Racing is undeniable and I am soaking it up non-stop.

I will preface the next part of this post by saying this… I have no issues with Torred #1179, I know how unhappy he was and remember each and every disparaging remark he made regarding HHP, the cost of what he was doing, the lack of performance he received, and concern shown him.

Torred #1179 is a very knowledgeable driver and I consider him a friend. He has been through hell with his Charger chasing after what he was promised but has only now just received.

Just so you know, Torred #1179's car was a constant issue as it only dyno'd once with decent numbers when the stage 2 package was installed on it. When put up against other cars, apples to apples, it came up short including on the dyno at the May LX E-town event. Oh how I remember those conversations.

Behind the scenes since late last winter there were many discussions of unhappiness with how the original stage 2 package performed on Torred #1179’s Charger and the excuses that were given for it. The money that was put into that car was significant and there were several discussions of just biting the bullet and going with the FRI components. Many times was it commented on how HHP lacked the knowledge to provide and back up its claims of performance.

Recently in Perry Georgia, one of the Frank cars, a comparably equipped 5.7L, which red lighted… darn drivers, pulled an unofficial time of 13.1 on a night where the air sucked and not many people were hooking up on the track… That car was faster than Torred #1179’s car, but since he red lighted it was not counted and that is okay. Why? Because the FRI cars run faster and more consistently than others out there.

Now I am sure we could get into a whole pissing match, but that is pointless. I will simply say that Frank Racing can meet and beat any package in both performance, dependability, and cost relating to the engine, speed, and power. You need not spend over $7K to get the performance.

As for B&G standing behind HHP… That is true. However, 402 Motoring does not stand behind B&G. The B&G flash at best is hit or miss, we will not even offer that item. The B&G flash on Torred #1179’s Charger and several other cars that were there during my time caused many issues, not to mention other items.

Some PCM’s have been sent back up to 6 times for recalibration. Do not get me wrong, when they work they work well, but getting there is a different conversation altogether. Having Dave at B&G Chrysler calling one of my customers a “Piece of poo” soured me for life with that company.

The knowledge, experience, and time proven performance of Frank Racing components speaks for itself. It took HHP and BES 3 tries to be able to keep up to what would comparably be a Frank Stage 1 package.

Also, a word of advice, while dyno numbers are cool and can be used as an ear-mark on how the vehicle will perform, the true test is on the track and the speed of which that vehicle traps. Hooking up is a different issue, and no matter which package you choose everyone has had that issue… which kills the 60’ times and in return your 1/4 mile times.

AS for BES, HHP’s engine and machine company, BES is fantastic at what they do. They are very skilled. However street applications like the Hemi are not their primary bag and therefore are more of an afterthought. They focus more on pro drag cars and semi-pro where the horse power is HUGE compared to what is done with the LX’s, they are not use to dealing with the restrictions this LX platform presents.

Frank Racing’s decades of motor sports heritage and experience, and believe me it is in their blood and in there genes, mainly in street and strip applications is what makes their knowledge and input more tuned to what all of you and myself want, dream of, and chase.

The future performance products to come from Frank Racing are very exciting, powerful, bullet proof, simplistic, and affordable. I wish I could say more about them but I am under a gag order at this time.

Thank you,
Electrofied

·
Registered
309 Posts
I guess that about sums it up.. I am a very happy Franks customer. And I'm still receiving after the sale customer service from them that doesn't even have to do with their products...

·
Registered
194 Posts
To answer the 1st part of this question:

Yes my original stage 2 package had lackluster performance. Why? A defective tune was holding the car back. In July, I had a new PCM programmed and the car ran like it should have. I was pulling 13.4-13.5's in the hot July conditions. Let's not forget that this was with 28" tall tires which caused gearing issues as well.

As for Perry... Hmmm, let's see, we could put a Stage 1 cam in Chris' car and it would still would have pulled a 13.1. Using Chris' car as an example is a bad one. Why? Let's just say Chris' car has always been 1 of those factory freaks. Chris is the only person that I know of that could pull a 12.89 on stock heads with a stock Comp260 cam. He did this back at Cecil in November. Even Chris will admit he hasn't really gained ANY performance with the Frank heads and Sidewinder. What he is most happy with is the fact that the car doesn't stall any more. He will tell anyone that! The CLOSEST other Frank'ed car at the Shindig was posting 13.4-13.8's all night. In fact, other than Chris' car, the only car that was competition was Mike East's PPP car WITH a 100 shot of nitrous. FlyByYou pulled a 13.2 on all motor with heads and a Hellfire. BrilliantBlackHemi was pulling 13.4's on heads and a Hellfire. Hemi31 was pulling 13.2 on motor as well. Where was I, FASTER THAN ALL 3!!! What happened to the term, "There's no replacement for displacement"? Didn't work for those 6.1's. What's all 3 of them have in coming? There FU----, eh, I mean FRI'ed! :silenced:

I'll end this like this, as this is about the stage 2 package. It is a bullet proof package that performs! It idles nicely, doesn't require a 900 RPM idle like other's, and performs. Sure there were a few kinks to work out, but in the end, the package is flawless.

Now I am sure we could get into a whole pissing match, but that is pointless. I will simply say that Frank Racing can meet and beat any package in both performance, dependability, and cost relating to the engine, speed, and power.
Now its my turn! I say 402 build it, bring it, watch my tail lamps! We will be at New England Dragway next month for the Mopar Nationals. In the past 3 racing events, no one has come close to my times OR MPH. And its getting better every run! 12.5's are in a arms length away and the 114-115 MPH mark to boot. As of now, I hold the top crown on 1/4 mile MPH mark. On a FULL tank of gas and slippage off the line to top that!

Again, I guess I am sitting here calling out a 402 FRI'ed car for next month (better get "someone" in line for the install BTW...) :lol:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Can't we just all get along......:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Wow, I thought I was long winded.:grin:

Installs we have covered, I will see if I can dig up a FRI car but no promises... I have been wanting to have an apples to apples day for a long time.

As for watch your tail lamps, you know you need to point nose first down the track right?:tongue:

But seriously, Rob this is not about you in the least, not on a personal level at all. It is about the BS that you went through and I remember each and every one of the conversations and all the BS that went along with it... Not BS from you but from the supplier you went through. Do I need to count how many times it took, if they are installed now, to have your titanium retainers installed?

How many times was it mentioned about jumping ship and long before I was at 402?

As for the B&G, up until what last month or so until the stage 3 was installed you still weren't pleased.

I would hope by now after three tries the supplier should have it right... You deserve nothing less. And as I stated on the phone several times to you I am extremely happy that you are just now where you should have been months ago.

On a personal level I have always rooted for you and continue to so… I do however find fault with the supplier’s claims, I was there long enough to hear it all and see it all.

I wish you the best of luck and you know that… There is nothing wrong with some friendly competition.

Have a good night all,
Electrofied

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Wow Rob.....I am suddenly so glad I suggested you stay with Josh so he could make it right.Before we go through this make sure everyone knows that.As far as the 1/4 times we'll see how you hold up at NED when I am back to normal trim.

P.S......The only FRi thing on my car at the time is the heads.....the cam is a box stock 268.....that will all change in the near future so you will be able to compare a bit better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.