Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the stage 1 cam installed or know of anyone who does? I am thinking it's going to be one of my first mods for the new car (when I get it).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So who recommend the Sidewinder over the Tomahawk? What is the average install time for a cam for a shop that does a lot of work on the chargers, such as HHP? I'm trying to see if their install packages are worth buying the cam with the install or just get the cam elsewhere and the install separately.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume the Tomakawk and Sidewinder cams do not have any of the roughness issues I have read other places?

Also, where can I look into the Tomahawk? I've found places taht sell the sidewinder, but not the Tomahawk.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is only a few people running the Tomahawk in a 5.7, that is why there is not a lot of info on it. If you are not planing on doing any other major mods, go with the Sidewinder. People are running 12.9 second 1/4 miles with just exhaust, intake, and the Sidewinder cam. With a tune and DR's, you might be able to hit 12.7.

I recomend that if you go with the Tomahawk, you need to do heads also.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dumb question... but what are DRs?

I cannot wait to get the diablo! (side thought)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
So who recommend the Sidewinder over the Tomahawk? What is the average install time for a cam for a shop that does a lot of work on the chargers, such as HHP? I'm trying to see if their install packages are worth buying the cam with the install or just get the cam elsewhere and the install separately.

Any thoughts?
The final cost of me getting a sidewinder /w installation was about $1,600. I bought mine from 402motoring.com. They sell every thing you need to do a cam swap.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Id go with HHPs cams There a better designed cam. and from what I have heard less driveabilty issues then you do with the fri's cams

I mean are you gonna buy a cam from just a shop or a shop that uses the winner of the jegs engine masters challenge 2 years in a row? if you want racing experience Tony (bes) is the worlds champ in his class in NMRA and HHP head Tech Bruce michle is the nmca prostock champ for this year

as for the tomahawk isnt this the cam that is now being pulled out of trojans stroker?

For me Ill stick to the people with the experience

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Id go with HHPs cams There a better designed cam. and from what I have heard less driveabilty issues then you do with the fri's cams
Where did you hear this from? This is completely opposite from every thing I've ever heard about FRI cams. FRI cams are by far the most popular cams for these cars and there is a reason for that.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I'd agree with Metgo. The 260 and Sidewinder are comparable driving cams. LSA, overlap, are nearly the same. I'd guess, bet money that the Sidewinder is worth a few more HP's. I've heard of very little if any issues with driveability from either of these cams. You need the tuner, or else your screwed. Get the cam, get the diablo, get a dyno tune...voila...Done.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would you suggest I try HHPs cam or are you saying forget it and go with the sidewinder?

I'd agree with Metgo. The 260 and Sidewinder are comparable driving cams. LSA, overlap, are nearly the same. I'd guess, bet money that the Sidewinder is worth a few more HP's. I've heard of very little if any issues with driveability from either of these cams. You need the tuner, or else your screwed. Get the cam, get the diablo, get a dyno tune...voila...Done.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hey man how's it going? Any idea when you are getting another Charger? How's metro?

Anyway, I personally have spoken with the HHP guys and they are great guys. Not anything against FRi but HHP is right up the road from us. I am thinking in the next 6 months to a year I'll be going with stage 1.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everything is going great. Work has been crazy busy... 57 hours of OT in last pay period (2 weeks). Big money though! That's what I get for chasing a guy with a gun for 3.5 city blocks, catching him AND recovering the gun with 16 rounds of ammo in it.

I'm considering waiting out ordering the 08 until the HIDs are released. My dad is going though is contacts at the Newark plant where he works to talk to some engineers in Canada to get some more info on their release date. I've got the 6500 I want to put down on the car, or I just about have it. Now the money is going towards mods.

My parents live in DE, so it would be perfect to leave the car with the guys at HHP for a day or two while they install all the mods (cam, shorties, cats, catback).

Do you have any sound clips of your exhaust? I'm really interested in hearing a full JBA system. Or just drive it on by!

Hey man how's it going? Any idea when you are getting another Charger? How's metro?

Anyway, I personally have spoken with the HHP guys and they are great guys. Not anything against FRi but HHP is right up the road from us. I am thinking in the next 6 months to a year I'll be going with stage 1.

·
Registered
145 Posts

I mean are you gonna buy a cam from just a shop or a shop that uses the winner of the jegs engine masters challenge 2 years in a row? if you want racing experience Tony (bes) is the worlds champ in his class in NMRA and HHP head Tech Bruce michle is the nmca prostock champ for this year

as for the tomahawk isnt this the cam that is now being pulled out of trojans stroker?

For me Ill stick to the people with the experience
"FOR ME, I'LL STICK TO THE PEOPLE WITH EXPERIENCE..." well Metgo has the experience. He paid his hard earned bucks to buy and install the cam. He operates the vehicle with the cam. Ya gotta go with the guy the uses the equipment, folks.

These Forums are 95% full of people that talk a good story, but Metgo actually walks the talk. HE INSTALLED THE SIDEWINDER, POSTED THE VIDEOS, AND DOCUMENTED HIS EXPERIENCE.

We sure get a lot of "experts" around here, huh?? *lol*

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't see why anyone would pay $499 for a Comp Cam 260. I have seen them on sale for as little as $349. It seams to me that HHP just took Comp Cams stage 1 and added their name in front of it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the sidewinder doesn't have any of the choppy sounding issues?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I don't see why anyone would pay $499 for a Comp Cam 260. I have seen them on sale for as little as $349. It seams to me that HHP just took Comp Cams stage 1 and added their name in front of it.
that cam was redesigned yo run in our cars the comp cams had a lot of issues too

1 - 20 of 65 Posts