Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys im new to these forums and im new to cars. i turned 17 and i get my license on February 21 and the car that really caught my eye is hte dodge charger srt8. i dont know alot about cars but i saw that it packed 400 horsepower under the hood. the only thing that might be a problem with the car in my eyes is the acceleration. it is a pretty heavy car and im not sure how it picks up. also waht is the major differences between srt8,daytona, and r/t

edit: also what is the major difference between tiptronic,automatic, and manual. why do people say manual is so much faster?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
hey guys im new to these forums and im new to cars. i turned 17 and i get my license on February 21 and the car that really caught my eye is hte dodge charger srt8. i dont know alot about cars but i saw that it packed 400 horsepower under the hood. the only thing that might be a problem with the car in my eyes is the acceleration. it is a pretty heavy car and im not sure how it picks up. also waht is the major differences between srt8,daytona, and r/t
google it man, it is really not that hard. i can not see a srt8 beast in a 17 year old kid, they would probably get killed a week after.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
srt8's have pretty decent acceleration for their weight. search the srt8 section of the forums and you can find any information you want about them. heres the differences you asked about

r/t- has 5.7L hemi, rated at 340 HP, 390 ft lbs torque pretty quiet exhaust

daytona- 5.7L hemi, rated at 350 HP (better flowing intake and exhaust), 390 ft lbs of torque, awesome seats, suspension upgrade, louder exhaust, and a thread a couple days ago was talking about beefed up brakes, but i'm not sure about that one. of course the daytona also comes with the daytona decals, spoiler, nicer wheels, plate with special edition number on it, and interior accents to match the exterior color. the rt with the road and track package has most of the same stuff.

srt8- totally different. 6.1L hemi, 425 hp, 420 lb ft of torque. brembo brakes, upgraded suspsion and exhaust. nicer wheels, nicer everything. then the superbee is like the daytona edition of srt8's

·
Registered
928 Posts
unless your selling drugs at 17 (or your parents are giving you one as a gift, which if they are I would smack them) I wouldnt count on getting an srt8 or even an R/T, and if you are selling drugs, save your money for a lawyer. a 17 yo has no business in a 30k+ car. sorry.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
if you have the money get what you want its your life
there are plenty of 16 17 year old kids driving range rovers ($80,000) and 7 series beemers,
but if this is your first car I would stay away from the SRT and just get the R/T

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
unless your selling drugs at 17 (or your parents are giving you one as a gift, which if they are I would smack them) I wouldnt count on getting an srt8 or even an R/T, and if you are selling drugs, save your money for a lawyer. a 17 yo has no business in a 30k+ car. sorry.
You can't really say till you know his situation. Also, he never said he wants to buy one right now. He might just be thinking down the road. I bought my charger when I want 19. For what I paid for my charger plus the few thousand I've put into aftermarket parts, I could have bought an SRT.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I'm a little confused. Your new to cars and don't know the difference between autostick and a manual but you think the SRT8's acceleration may be too slow? Uhh, right. People get under 5 seconds 0-60 in these things. That is not slow. The other day we pulled a 5.10 w/4 people in the car, a bunch of stuff in the trunk, and all season tires. But aside from being fast, this car has loads of room for people, a huge trunk, awesome seats, and looks mean has hell. Man Charger's are great!
Also, autostick is kind of a combination of a manual and auto. It has no manual clutch and enables you to downshift and upshift when you desire. But it will downshift (and upshift I believe) when needed if you don't to help protect the engine/transmission.
-J

·
Registered
203 Posts
ehh give the kid a little credit. He probaly just turned 17 is starting to get into cars because he can drive now. liked the look of the srt8 I mean who wouldn't haha. and prob has no idea of what the car can do. and yes if his parents just buy it for him they are asking for trouble because when i was 17 I would of been dead in a week with that car

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
ehh give the kid a little credit. He probaly just turned 17 is starting to get into cars because he can drive now. liked the look of the srt8 I mean who wouldn't haha. and prob has no idea of what the car can do. and yes if his parents just buy it for him they are asking for trouble because when i was 17 I would of been dead in a week with that car
I can agree with that. He see's the car, likes the way it looks and jumps on here looking for info. But if that's the case he probably shouldn't have stated that he saw the acceleration of the SRT as a potential problem with the car with no apparent basis for comparison.
-J

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey there, welcome from So Cal. I gotta agree with most of the other ppl on this forum. If your looking to buy an SRT I would hold off and get an RT and get some driving experience first then upgrade. Just realize that the SRT has alot of power and needs a driver that is going to keep it under control and won't bend to their friends wishes to see it opened up all the time. But other then that welcome and enjoy the car if/when you get it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The SRT8 is a bunch of power for a new driver if you ask me....you are an adult, so whatever, but...I have been driving longer than you are alive (as with many of the old farts here), and I still have the tendency to really go fast and be an ass.....and sometimes I have caught myself in some hairy situations with control.....but, the driving experience gets me though it....

Just be careful, you are going to get a speeding ticket, and get your new licensed revoked!

Be careful dude.......! We have all been there as young drivers...live and learn!

Good Luck.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hey there, welcome from So Cal. I gotta agree with most of the other ppl on this forum. If your looking to buy an SRT I would hold off and get an RT and get some driving experience first then upgrade. Just realize that the SRT has alot of power and needs a driver that is going to keep it under control and won't bend to their friends wishes to see it opened up all the time. But other then that welcome and enjoy the car if/when you get it.
i think it is very common to see 17s year old kids (there are exceptions) that likes to show off and race the new rides that theirs parents have provided them. That only could leading their kids into trouble. The srt8 is a beast and i think this car has to be treat it with responsability cuz i could kill you with ease and unfortunately (proven fact at this age) the 17s yeard kids dont have the experience nor the responsability to respect a cars like this. I really see a 17 year old trying to racing his new srt8 with everyone in his school dont you.

·
Registered
794 Posts
the 17s yeard kids dont have the experience nor the responsability to respect a cars like this.
Some adults don't either...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i dont get why people hate on young kids having or wanting chargers. everyone complains about young kids in their civics with fart cans, but then whenever those young kids come to charger forums interested in our cars yall tell them to go away they cant handle it. if they are going to race then they are going to do it in any car they have, weather it is a camry or an srt8. i realize the srt8 has more power and all, but in the end it is just as dangerous. i think younger people coming to the forum is a great thing. i'd be happy to see more young people interested in american cars in general, cause if they arent then companies like dodge, and cars like the charger wont exist 30 years from now.

btw if i was 17 i know i'd be interested in the srt8, as well as some other really fast cars. what guy wouldnt be!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
hehehe i sense some jeaulousy in this thread...but i do agree with some... i would go with the r/t to start, then hit the srt...but do what you want man, GL and enjoy the Charger...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
what guy wouldnt be!
That's such a loaded question and no way am I going to answer that.

But I totally agree as long as the kid understands what he has under the hood and learns to handle it what's the big deal as long as he can afford it. Every charger sold helps keep Chrysler afloat.

My suggestion though is go with a 3.5l or R/T. 425hp in inexperienced hands isn't the best combination. 350hp is still alot of inexperienced hands I think. I'm only 26, I'm not jealous of any young kid that can afford or have parents who will buy them a nice new car.

I just have a problem with the fact that the majority of these kids who receive these cars wrap them around a tree or plow them into some unsuspecting pedestrians on the street.

My suggestion save yourself the insurance and gas and go with a R/T or smaller engine.

I had a friend from high school who wrapped his brand new camaro z28 around a tree then his parents replaced it with a one year old Mercedes SL500.

My dad would have never put that much power in my hands at that age let alone replace the car after I did that with the first one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i turned 17 and i get my license on February 21
Nice that you are looking ahead, but why not get a little driving experience before you take on an SRT8? SRT8 + Learner's Permit = Trouble.

·
Registered
769 Posts

edit: also what is the major difference between tiptronic,automatic, and manual. why do people say manual is so much faster?
Listen bro dont let all these "haters" get you down or try to turn you away from what you want. There is alot of people here that are real, but honestly you should stay with a R/T or a Daytona, srt8 is to much car to soon for you. How you pay for it is your business not nobody elses, no matter if you pay for it or your parents. so good luck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts