Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it takes foreeeeever to switch into drive from reverse. if i back out (of a driveway, for example) and put it into drive, theres a good 2-3 seconds before the car actually gets in gear. the other cars i am used to (530i, and suburban especially) do this isntantaneously. :mad:

/rant

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hmmm, I never noticed that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
shrinkydinx said:
it takes foreeeeever to switch into drive from reverse. if i back out (of a driveway, for example) and put it into drive, theres a good 2-3 seconds before the car actually gets in gear. the other cars i am used to (530i, and suburban especially) do this isntantaneously. :mad:

/rant
wow, that sucks. Is that a common problem so far?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I think this is a common problem. It's more like a 1 to 1.5 seconds if I am not rolling backwards. If I am still moving backwards at all, when I shift it takes a little longer.
I noticed this in my magnum and the service guy said this is normal. So, it did not surprise me when my charger did the same thing. 2-3 second would be an exaggeration in my case but it defiantly takes longer than it should.
If I do shift out of reverse with to much speed the trans will shutter a little and clunk when it engages. I also thing it shifts quicker into drive if you pause in "N" before going to "D".
________
Lenya

·
Registered
369 Posts
yeah 1 second sounds more like it.

·
Banned
113 Posts
I back out of my driveway every time and I truly hate it..... I really wish somebody would figure out a way around this

·
Registered
630 Posts
farkedup said:
I back out of my driveway every time and I truly hate it..... I really wish somebody would figure out a way around this
I back into my driveway. When I am ready to go somewhere... its straight to D and I am off and running.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2.3 seconds here, i just tested it, i vote we start flooring it, and see if we can break something, then dodge might have a fix for us lol

·
Registered
396 Posts
You need to be completely stopped after you are done backing up then put it in
drive. Your tranny has a lag time so you DON'T break anything.
If you are not completely stopped when changing gears you will eventually wear
your tranny out, it's very hard on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
At least there is one person in this forum that knows something about cars, i see that all you want to break your tranny's. And guess what im really happy for you guys. See when your cars are in the shop getting a new tranny i still be rollin in mine.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chargedup said:
At least there is one person in this forum that knows something about cars, i see that all you want to break your tranny's. And guess what im really happy for you guys. See when your cars are in the shop getting a new tranny i still be rollin in mine.
ONE person said ANYTHING about putting it in drive while rolling backwards. and they didnt say they do it either, they were only comparing the respective times.

read, then post.

·
Banned
113 Posts
I live on a busy road... I never have the time to completely stop, wait then shift.... I nearly come to a complete stop and throw it into gear..... ticks me off that I can't go when I wanna go!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts